Get unit RGB

Amn

Reaction score
hi
is it possible to get how much red green or blue a unit has?
i make units fade on death using SetUnitVertexColorBJ or SetUnitVertexColor
but this two functions need how much RGB the unit has

JASS:

function SetUnitVertexColorBJ takes unit whichUnit, real red, real green, real blue, real transparency returns nothing

native SetUnitVertexColor takes unit whichUnit, integer red, integer green, integer blue, integer alpha returns nothing

not every unit on my map have %100 red green or blue, so i need to pass those values to the fade function
any ideas how to get them?

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
JASS:
library UnitColors/*
 */ uses /*
       */AIDS/*

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
*                                                                                   *
*    API:                                                                           *
*                                                                                   *
*    function ColorUnit takes unit whichUnit, integer red, integer green,           *
*        integer blue, integer alpha, returns nothing                               *
*           -colors the unit and saves its value                                    *
*    function GetUnitRed takes unit whichUnit returns integer                       *
*           -returns whichUnits current saved red value                             *
*    function GetUnitGreen takes unit whichUnit returns integer                     *
*           -returns whichUnits current saved green value                           *
*    function GetUnitBlue takes unit whichUnit returns integer                      *
*           -returns whichUnits current saved blue value                            *
*    function GetUnitTransparency takes unit whichUnit returns integer              *
*           -returns whichUnits current saved transparency value                    *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */

globals
        private constant integer BASE = 255//i think this is the base ammount but im not sure i didnt test that, you can change this if you want
    endglobals

private struct Colors extends array
        integer Red
        integer Green
        integer Blue
        integer Transparency
        unit whichUnit
        boolean changed

//! runtextmacro AIDS()
    endstruct

function ColorUnit takes unit whichUnit, integer red, integer green, integer blue, integer alpha returns nothing
        local Colors this = GetUnitId(whichUnit)
        call SetUnitVertexColor(whichUnit, red, green, blue, alpha)
        set this.whichUnit = whichUnit
        set this.Red = red
        set this.Green = green
        set this.Blue = blue
        set this.Transparency = alpha
        set this.changed = true
    endfunction

//! textmacro UC takes COLOR
        function GetUnit$COLOR$ takes unit whichUnit returns integer
            local Colors this = GetUnitId(whichUnit)
            if this.changed then
                return this.$COLOR$
            endif
            return BASE
        endfunction
    //! endtextmacro

//! runtextmacro UC("Red")
    //! runtextmacro UC("Green")
    //! runtextmacro UC("Blue")
    //! runtextmacro UC("Transparency")
endlibrary

this should work right, just use GetUnit(Color)(whichUnit), ie: [ljass]call GetUnitRed(GetTriggerUnit())[/ljass] will return the current unit's red, however, if the unit has not been changed via the ColorUnit function it is not recorded and will return the base integer

PS. i know struct naming conventions but i had to change it up to allow for better function naming conventions as i used a textmacro... im lazy :p

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
GFreak's answer is for if you need to keep track of any changes you've made in the code to units' RGB values. However, the actual Art values set on a unit cannot be accessed through the JASS, unfortunately.

You could hardcode each unit's color into some sort of array or hashtable, and set their RGB when they are created (giving all of them a Default 100% or 255 for RGB in the Art category) to avoid having to change the value in two different places.

Amn

Reaction score
gfreak thank u for your work, i'm sure it works fine.
but i dont think it's a good idea for my map to keep track of every unit's colors, in fact that's what i was trying to avoid :(

see, my units are special effects, dummies, targets, they come and go, grow and change shape cause they r used in my spells and other stuff so if i'm going to add a ColorUnit function i have to read all my code to locate every colored unit usage and add the call :(

what happens if i call SetUnitVertexColor with null arguments on rgb ? im testing that
hey, since you're here, i'm also trying to make a feature where heroes regain some mana based on the spell they cast
u know, a general function like SetUnitMana( (SpellMana * 0.2) + currentMana )

so, we cant get how much mana a spell used on cast, there's no such native/bj
but there is an ability that can, named Mana Flare. it deals damage based on mana cost. we can detect that damage, heal the amount and convert it to mana. any other idea about his? thx

GFreak45

Reaction score
it only keeps track of the ones that you set with that action, none of the others, it will just return the default if you try to get the others even if they have been changed

so if you want to keep track of a unit use: call ColorUnit, otherwise, use: call SetUnitVertexColor and it wont be recorded

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
@Dirac

The AIDS part is to access things like [ljass]set struct[GetTriggerUnit()].red = 255[/ljass] (obvious you don't need to implement AIDS for it, but I think this is the propose)

Dirac

Reaction score
@Dirac

The AIDS part is to access things like [ljass]set struct[GetTriggerUnit()].red = 255[/ljass] (obvious you don't need to implement AIDS for it, but I think this is the propose)

Hes not using that feature, he even wrote a friendly function API to avoid the OOP
It would be better to just declare a local anyway
[ljass]local struct this = GetUnitUserData(unit)[/ljass]

GFreak45

Reaction score
i wrote that up in 30 seconds... it compiles and works, i understand there may have been something better but i wasnt sure and didnt want to waste 20 mins searching
and he should have some kind of unit indexing anyway
its not like i submitted this to the tutorials and resources

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.