Global Cooldown??

vexoh

Reaction score
Hi, I have a skill on a building that all players can build..how can i set a global cooldown for it, So if player 1 (red) used the skill the Others have the same cooldown??

MP®

Reaction score
I think the only way you can do this is like this:

You should make a dummy unit called something like Cooldown.
Then give that ability a requirement for that unit.
Make a trigger that gives all players 1 of this unit, and make a unit variable (with array of max numbers of players) that tracks this unit.

Whenever a player casts this ability, trigger it that all Cooldown units are being removed, so all players cannot use the ability. And after a while (depending on the length of the cooldown) you have to create a new unit again.

This works perfectly, but you won't see the 'timer' on the ability icon. The ability-icon will be darkened instead and unclickable, until the unit is created again. If it is a big thing, you can make a timer or something, so players can see when the cooldown is over.

MP®

Reaction score
In general, a dummy unit is a unit that you can't see and can't control. It is used to create some effects, or cast a spell on a unit etc.

To make a dummy unit, just take for example the vulture unit (neutral passive), give it the ability 'Locust' (so it is unclickable and invulnerable) and set the model file to the custom path: ".mdl" so it has no model. Also remove shadows, set cast point and backswing to 0.00, set movement turn rate to max, and sight range should be enough to see the target unit..

In this case, you don't have a target unit and the dummy unit does nothing at all, except just existing, so the ability has its requirements.
So you just have to make a dummy without model and shadows and with locust. The rest is unimportant.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
Well an even simpler way to do it, and this will only work if the effect is the same. But perhaps when one is cast, cause all the others to cast as well?
But that depends on the cause and type of ability.

Otherwise using dummy abilities is probably the second easiest method.
You wouldn't want to use a custom cooldown system.

MP®

Reaction score
Thats a good idea indeed, you can also make all abilities dummy/fake abilities, that don't do anything by themselves. And trigger the effect for only the first one cast.

(oh i'm sorry Inflicted already typed this, didn't finish reading his post)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.