Technology GPU Prices Drop Along With Crypto

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
dGgFyFB.png

Bitcoin and Ethereum have hit record lows this week, approaching $30,000 and $2,200 respectively, which is nearly 50% off both crypto coins' highest values, according to CNBC. The slow but steady drop in crypto prices over the past month has in turn started a chain reaction in GPU pricing, as crypto mining becomes less and less feasible. Compared to last month, we're now seeing up to 11% lower card prices on eBay — and that's before the latest crypto losses.

We've compiled one week's worth of pricing data, from late December compared to the past week, showing a complete list of average GPU prices from eBay. We're only looking at the latest AMD and Nvidia graphics cards, though we'll update our GPU prices with the full month of data next week.

On average, nearly every graphics card dropped in price by 5% or more, with a few GPUs even breaking into the double digits — the RTX 3090, RTX 3080 (10GB) and RX 6600 all dropped by 10% or more. However, GPU volume (at least on eBay) also dropped substantially for nearly all GPU models, with only the RTX 3090 and RTX 3070 Ti selling more cards in the past week than in late December.

The star of the show goes to AMD's Radeon RX 6600, which tied for the highest price drop of 11.6%, going from $586.89 down to just $518.66. While that doesn't necessarily equate to a great deal, that's arguably the best deal of 2022 in our current GPU market.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately even with this shift, the GPU market is still a complete disaster. It has been ~15 months since this shortage began, and the one losing out is the consumer. This has likely driven many people away from PC gaming entirely. Very sad.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think this would have driven people from PC Games, a certain segment for sure, the ones that need the latest and greatest GPU power but the reality is only a fraction of games need a brand new state of the art GPU as older models work still just not at the same frame rate. Granted, I am sure there has been an effect but still I do not think a dip or pause in the GPU market is going to effect PC Gaming negatively in the long term. My opinion.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.