grill pan VS. outdoor grill

Winterherz

Reaction score
Living in a hong kong apartment limits the equipments allowed in a kitchen (fire safety protocols bla bla)..

I was wondering if grill pans impart the same flavor of an outdoor grill? without the smoked flavor of charcoal is a setback for using a grill pan, but instead i'm thinking of using wood chip...

What are your thoughts?

rcln124l.jpg
HealthyIndoorGrill

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Grill pans don't use an open flame right? So I think it's a bit different. Like you said, there wouldn't be the smoked flavor from the fire on an outdoor grill. But grills pans have the nice grill lines on the food.

Uh... where would you place an outdoor grill in an apartment?

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Vellu

Real eyes realize real lies.
Reaction score
Gas used outdoor grills are the best. They are insta-ready and grill the food quite fast.

Winterherz

Reaction score
Grill pans don't use an open flame right?
that's right yeah it's either electric or gas stove

Uh... where would you place an outdoor grill in an apartment?
kitchen, i can't afford a balcony..rent here is suckup, 200sqft for US$515/month studio :p

What about using wood chips?? how good is it?

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
you can't use an outdoor grill in your house. o_O

And coal doesn't cool the food with a flame, just from the heat of the coal. Firewood, because it uses fire would cause a lot more smoke and an open flame...That'll give your food more of a smoked flavour and most likely dry it out if you don't know how to cook properly with it. Me and my friends experimented with all these things over the summers having bbqs.

My favorite is either a grill with coal or a gas powered grill which has open flames.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Outdoor Grill > Grill Pan. I know, I have taste one hunk of meat before.

But, I do know about the regulations in Hong Kong, heard they are really tough and the fines are high.

Should going out to a park and use an outdoor grill over there counts as a fire hazard in Hong Kong? Are there Barbeque Spots outside or around Hong Kong that allows people to enjoy?

There should be at least one.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Nothing beats the taste of food barbecued over a Outdoor Charcoal Grill :thup:

Well, Just look after a indoor barbeque grill. @Winterherz

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I do know, some people prefer indoor BBQ over outdoor BBQ for its variety and non-smoked flavor.

It all comes down to whether you like smoked BBQ flavors or not.

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
Grill pans work more as a pan than a grill. They do mimic aspects of a grill such as they do offer two different types of heat absorption (the "bars" and also convection) but they will not offer the airborn marinade of smoke from the fat drippings that makes grilled food taste the way it does. An actual fire however causes smoke that creates bad flavors, so that's out. If you used a smoker you would get that great bbq flavor that only long 6+ hour smoking sessions gives, but you really need to have access to outdoors for that. Your best bet? Stick with the grill pan. It's tough when you have to live in an apartment because you don't have access to the outside for a grill or smoker, but a grill pan is the closest thing you can get to an actual grill while being safe at the same time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.