Healing Ultimate

Stoveman

Reaction score
I'm trying to make an ultimate ability that adds a buff (ei: Inner Fire) to the effect of a heal. How would I do this? I'm no good with triggers since I'm quite new to the editor.

jig7c

Stop reading me...-statement
Reaction score
a buff is added thru an ability, an ability can be added/removed thru a dummy unit/unit, a dummy unit/unit can be added removed to a map thru triggers...

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
You could use a dummy caster:

Code:
Events
    Unit - A unit starts the effect of an ability
Conditions
    (Ability being cast) equal to Healing Ultimate
Actions
    Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
    Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Priest - Inner Fire (Target unit of ability being cast)
    Unit - Add a 2 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)

Yes, the trigger leaks, but it works.

A dummy caster is *basically* a unit with no model and is invulnerable, so it looks like the ability is just happening.

EDIT: If all you need is the physical buff on the unit (nothing actually happens), you can add a modified ability (like Item Life Bonus) to the unit. This creates the icon, and you can detect the buff on a unit, but you can change the ability so that it doesn't actually do anything.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
>the trigger is not MUI

Blasphemy! That trigger is perfectly MUI.

Stoveman

Reaction score
You could use a dummy caster:

Code:
Events
    Unit - A unit starts the effect of an ability
Conditions
    (Ability being cast) equal to Healing Ultimate
Actions
    Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
    Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Priest - Inner Fire (Target unit of ability being cast)
    Unit - Add a 2 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)

Yes, the trigger leaks, but it works.

A dummy caster is *basically* a unit with no model and is invulnerable, so it looks like the ability is just happening.

EDIT: If all you need is the physical buff on the unit (nothing actually happens), you can add a modified ability (like Item Life Bonus) to the unit. This creates the icon, and you can detect the buff on a unit, but you can change the ability so that it doesn't actually do anything.

So, with that the heal will be casted on the target unit and the unit will gain the buff? Also, the heal ability and the ultimate(which adds the buff to the target of the heal) are separate abilities. Does this trigger still work?

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
So, with that the heal will be casted on the target unit and the unit will gain the buff? Also, the heal ability and the ultimate(which adds the buff to the target of the heal) are separate abilities. Does this trigger still work?

Essentially, yes. The trigger is meant for two separate abilities.

It will be nearly the same thing as the hero casting two different spells on one unit. That is what it will look like (in reality, it is an invisible unit casting the ability). Just change the "Healing Ultimate" to whatever the healing ability is, and add the "buff" ability to the unit.

You will have to change the "Human Priest - Inner Fire" to whatever the ability is based off of. For example, if you copied the Inner Fire ability, and changed the stats, name, etc, you would use "Human Priest - Inner Fire". If you based it off of Storm Bolt, it would be "Mountain King - Storm Bolt".

Stoveman

Reaction score
"Dummy Caster" is a custom unit I have to create?
And what do you mean by "and add the "buff" ability to the unit"?

EDIT: I just tried the code you suggested to me Darthfett, and now when I cast the heal, my hero has a 2 second timer until he dies and a copy of myself if created next to him with no duration. No Inner Fire buff either >.<

Naga'sShadow

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
That's odd, but then I've managed to kill my hero before by accident too. Dummy Caster is just what he named it, it can be any unit. But if it has a model you have to hide it after you make it. The only reason I can think of for it to kill the hero is if the hero was created by a trigger. As to why it doesn't cast, make sure that the dummy unit either has the spell or that you give the spell to the unit before ordering it to cast. Also make sure the dummy has the mana to cast the spell.

bOb666777

Stand against the ugly world domination face!
Reaction score
Make sure you didn't replace (Last Created Unit) by (Triggering Unit)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.