Help me Create RPG?

ShadowInTheD

Reaction score
I want to create an RPG, one that goes farther than most in player choice. More heroes, more items, more quests, etc. I'm not THAT experienced with WE, especially in things other than triggers. I want help in the separate categories of map making (terraining, object editing, triggering, etc.), one, because I'm not that good with most of it, two, because it's a lot faster than one person doing it all, and three, I might learn from those who help me :D.

I have a lot of ideas for this RPG, in terms of how to make it fun. Specifics of the game, such as terrain, unit location, quests, and items stats I don't have planned out, but I hope they develop as others (if there are any) and myself create the game further and further.

People positions that would help (can change / overlap / etc.)
Terrainer - Someone to make the terrain of the map (may of something to do with storyline). I need most importantly, I'm terrible at making terrain, even simple ground terrain (may also work with unit placement)
Object Editor - Someone to make the units, items, spells, etc. for the game
Storyline Creator - Someone to make a storyline, and possibly write unit origins/descriptions, spell origins/descriptions, etc. (I'm also bad at this)
Custom Model/Pic Maker - Someone to create models of units, if needed, and pics of map, loading screen, and other things. Needed least importantly, but would be very helpful :D

That's basically it, any other categories like these may be added.

I'm looking for people who would like to help me do make this RPG. I'm making this RPG for others and myself to play it, of course, but I would also like this RPG to be a model of future RPG's, so future RPG's may be more fun (if this one is fun).

Info about me: I'm on as much as I can be, anytime I don't have school, work, or punishment from parents or school... I won't quit making this RPG if I have other help, and I'll try to do my best to make the map the best it can be.

If you do want to help me, post on this thread. Also, if you have other ideas for major categories, those would be appreciated too :D. I'll talk specifically to those who do want to help me.

Fire-Wolf

S.P.D Smoke Pot Daily, Legalize It!
Reaction score
Well that doesn't seem like that great of an rpg. More stuff doesn't equal more 1337.. Make it playable quanity doesn't mean quality.. To make a good playable rpg you dont say "Hey look we got more items in ours so were more 1337 than you." You add fun playable features, things that make it unique. Add things that no other rpg has. Have unique spells, and unique systems, and cool items, not just lots of them. Also i suggest that you work on mapping first before you try to make a project like this. Make little things on your own. Hone your skills untill you are really ready. And once you do something like this, make sure your ready, ask yourself "Am I up for this?" Then once you have the right skills and the means to pull it off, go for it. Untill then dont. Once I saw the part "because I'm not that good with most of it" I knew that you were not ready for this kind of project. Rpg is actually a tough type of map to make, one of the toughest actually. So work on something easier untill you can say "I'm great with all of it." Then you might be ready.

ShadowInTheD

Reaction score
Well, of course the quality of all of the "extras" are, or should, be the same or higher quality than other RPG's. More items is better than less items if all the items are the same quality. This remains true for all the categories of the map. Quality should remain very high, as should the quantity. It's like this, if you don't have quantity, you don't have anything. A small amount of quantity, i.e. an unfinished map, gets boring pretty fast, where ass a finished map gives a lot more fun, even if it has less quality (in many cases).

I'm aware of the difficulty in creating an RPG. And one major objective to this is to learn. If I have a group of qualified people to create it with me, I'll learn, no matter what. I DO know the basics, but I'm not familiar with EVERYTHING. I have created small projects, trying to make them the most advanced, and simple as I can. I also have concepts that most map makers don't, not because I'm smarter, but because I've seen more.

CaptDeath

Reaction score
[agree+ExpandonFWS]what id suggest is play with the WE and try to trigger things
then learn leaks and how to clean them
then make a few complex things
learn how to make them hyper efficent
realese a few on TH.Net
hang out in The World Editor Help Zone
and help people get around 90 rep and start learning jass[/agree+FWS]

well i agree with all of FWs post becuase most of those are like his rpg with cleanly color coded Tootips

ShadowInTheD

Reaction score
ROFL at you guys/gals. I DO know how to trigger, I know JASS etc. I know I will need help, but who doesn't? I AM ready for this, I've been ready for a year now.

I CAN do this project by myself, I just want more people, because it will be better. More people will make the project faster, make it less likely for me to quit, and will give many more possibilities for the map.

Fire-Wolf

S.P.D Smoke Pot Daily, Legalize It!
Reaction score
Thankyou CaptD. But as someone once said (A great map maker might I add.) Quanity =! Quality. Or Quanity isn't Quality. 100 items doesnt make the map great. Also the more items, heros things ect. The bigger the map is. Most of us know the 4mb limit on b.net..

ShadowInTheD

Reaction score
What if I say I'm the best map maker in the world? How about if I'm the worst? Do you think I haven't prepared for this map? Do you think I don't know what I'm doing? What I say doesn't tell you much, especially when it's very vague. "I don't know much about most of WE" may mean that I know nearly everything, but I'm just being modest. Criticizing my ability with just a bit of given information is annoying, especially when I didn't ask for it. I asked for people to help me with the RPG, and maybe input some ideas related to the RPG, not criticize my skill with WE, and what I should do to build up to this project. If you just think about it, with five people, it's a very simple project. A high quality project with five people can be done in one to two months, depending on group member contributions.

Tooblet

Reaction score
Hard worker? :D

Hey.. I would love to see a groundbreaking RPG myself.. just to play it u know.
So please tell me when it's done :p

But just out of curiousity..

The spellmaking and the storyline brainstorming and the terraining and all that u think will make the perfect rpg...
If u want others to do everything creative in it. Then wouldnt you just end up not liking it? :p

Holla.

Reaction score
I think, for starters that you guys are judging on nothing, he obviously has prepared for this and has come to terms with everything, why else would he post it up?
Im not THAT free but i can terrain pretty well, just tell me what to do and il do it, tell me to alter it and il do that too.
Rpgs do take a while though mate, plus im in australia and i have school 5/7 days so i may not spend that much time on it, depends how much im motivated.

Pm me the details bro!

(Lastly)
Think of something unique in your rpg, something no one elses has, its because of these things an rpg becomes great.
lastly lastly: Sometimes having too much things to do isn't as good as it seems, take super smash bros brawl for instance, it has so many modes and things to do, yet i only seem to play normal brawl against my friends using random charicters.

DEFINATLY last: Try to make the map FUN to be repeated, no one like repedetiveness thats boring as shit. You need to think of something very unique.

ShadowInTheD

Reaction score
Any time you spend for making the map is very appreciated o_O. Holla, I play on West server, name: ShadowInTheDark. Come talk to me sometime, if you can. I want to tell you some more specific ideas of mine that need to be tweaked.

For anyone else who wants the specific ideas, just ask, they aren't very developed though.

Abion47

Reaction score
It sounds interesting...

If I can help, it will most likely be in the storyline genre, as while I have decent WE skills, I'm not nearly advanced enough to program something of this scale.

Here's a thought though. What if it was Runescape based?

Legacyspy

Reaction score
I think, for starters that you guys are judging on nothing, he obviously has prepared for this and has come to terms with everything, why else would he post it up?

Because hes just another 13 year old kid who thinks he's he has the best idea for a map ever!!!!!!
And we aren't judging on nothing. Look at his post history and you can easily see that this map, like 99% of the other projects started won't be completed.

ShadowInTheD

Reaction score
ROFL at you guys/gals. This is kind of funny. But seriously, if you're going to comment, include something that I ASK FOR.. This is almost just spam, telling me the same thing over and over again "You shouldn't do this, it won't get done." Just stop...
At Abion: Send me a private message or talk to me on WC3 (ShadowInTheDark) sometime, we might be able to incorporate something from Runescape into it.

Legacyspy

Reaction score
I haven't even opened WE for the map... Dude, please just stop posting, you might as well be spamming...

So you haven't done anything related to this map, have vague ideas as to what it is composed of and haven't planned out any hard ideas, yet you are already looking for people to terrain/trigger and in general do everything else for you.
If you can't see why your map is going to fail then your just blind.

If you actually want to complete such a large project, with the help of others( I am of the opinion that it is easier to finish a project on your own with minor assistance from people on problems you can't solve your self) here's what you should do:

Plan out the general style of game play and systems as well as some of the heroes and items.
Make a small (32x32/64x64) map demonstrating the systems and showing that you are actually capable of creating work that is up to a high standard ( no tool tip errors and such.)

Then start putting together a team.

Right now this map/project is going to fall apart.

I am not trying to insult you, I am trying to give you advice. Too many of the maps here aren't completed and I think that is a shame because they have a lot of good ideas.

Vaius

Reaction score
I have to agree with Legacyspy.

According to your very own post, you have nothing to contribute yourself whatsoever for this RPG other than "I HAVE LOTS OF IDEAS LULZ!"

It would be easier for people to decide whether to help or not if they knew what your ideas were.

Based on the information in the OP, this project won't simply fall apart. Instead, it will inevitably collapse.

ShadowInTheD

Reaction score
UMM, do you see "triggerer" or something related on my post, because I don't.

Otherwise, I haven't started the map because, if I'm getting a team together, shouldn't I start with them? It all ties back to the input thing. The ideas come in from the beginning, to be the most efficient. I DO have a layout for A LOT of things, I can trigger, I'm working on terraining, and I've already said that I can do this project by myself, not that I need others to do it for me.

Sigh..

ShadowInTheD

Reaction score
I worked on some terraining, and I made a decent waterfall, and I want to make a better waterfall for the main city of the RPG.

Please don't listen to those in previous posts...

MorbazanRhot

Reaction score
Well I don't really have time to help out, but I'd be happy to contribute some ideas, if nothing else to get the ball rolling or something.

Like an above poster said, to make a truly memorable experience your best bet is to make it novel. Usually the best ways to do this are to play around with typical conventions.

Basic levels of this type of thinking are inclusions of stuff like humor - joking about conventions that we normally take for granted in RPG's and never really think about, like "How does this old lady living in this hut out in the middle of nowhere know anything about the king's life? Why on Earth am I trusting her?"

You can get further into it by playing with the tools of an RPG, like resources. TBR did a good job with that, basically by importing some of the resource systems from WoW. But there are other ways to go different routes with that: an example - you could have a hero that starts with a ton of mana regeneration based on a certain number of lives he has in a small side-game of tower defense somewhere on the map, where losing a life lowers his mana regeneration. That hero can learn normal spells (that benefit from his high mana regeneration by having low cooldown/power ratios) or he can learn some spells that allow him to make new/better towers to solidify his hold on a high level of resources. Now obviously you can't concentrate on an RPG if you have to play a TD the entire time, so you can just make them come every 8 minutes or something like that. Thus, you've created a hero where the player is actively thinking about managing his resources in a different way than usual (uh... I have 100 mana now, I cast fireball.)

Also, conventions that exist outside of the hero are fair game for manipulation too. Take save/load systems for example. You'd pretty much expect to see one in a long RPG these days, but the purpose of it is so that you can save your hero's progress. However, you can mess around with that being the goal with something like: putting the boss of the game near the beginning. Losing to him early on just progresses the game, but if you lost earlier you'll be unable to beat him later on (this might generate a lot of frustration from uninformed players, I'm not saying you SHOULD do this, again just using it as an example - and you could leave some obvious hints that you need to fight him earlier in the game to beat him). Thus in order to beat the game you actually have to save and then load from the beginning, where you fight the boss not at the end, but rather the beginning. Now you're using save/load codes in a novel fashion.

So, I hope these examples help at all with your thought process on this RPG and maybe serve to generate better discussion in your thread :).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.