Help! Spell: Pyramid of Light

A & B: You can make the ability cast on "Self".
C: JASS is actually pretty easy, but if you are resilent to doing anything new, then you will never learn usefull tools like JASS.
D: Notice I said ALMOST.

C: JASS is actually pretty easy, but if you are resilent to doing anything new, then you will never learn usefull tools like JASS.

-rep for that... Its not easy to learn "an entirely different language" without knowledge of another. As said by many many moderators and administrators on this site. Its way to time consuming for me to waste hours when I dont even make maps anymore (Entirely different topic you wouldnt want to get into).

A & B: You can make the ability cast on "Self".

Giving abilities to other units can cause problems. Also some units have special casting points related to art + combat that can interfere with timing. It can also mess up channeled abilities as well as many others.

D: Notice I said ALMOST.
You can use dummy units for so many things. You can use them as you would pheonix fire but control the target (Helped someone with that earlier), you can use the to channel, you can use them to attack with certain art... the list is endless. Almost? Maybe "Some"

-rep for that @#&!

Its not easy to learn "an entirely different language" You can do alot of things in the GUI, the main limitation is the lack of Local Variables, which are in WEU, and can be put in using the Custom Script one-liner.

Giving abilities to other units can cause problems. You don't have to give the ability, you can set the default one.

some units have special casting points related to art + combat that can interfere with timing.This can be set with a JASS (And mabee GUI, I'm not sure) function.

It can also mess up channeled abilities as well as many others. You wouldn't want to put a CHANNELED ability on a unit that doesn't interact with anything.

You can use dummy units for so many things. You sure can. You can also use other meathods for most things.

Just think about making a dummy unit - Creating an object, that is meant to interact with the rest of the world, but disabling everything that interacts. Just seems kinda kludgy.

C'mon....... 299 posts............................................

All those answers seem a bit... empty. Other people will think so too. To far off topic though. Goodnight

o.o uhhh... okay... so I'll try making two versions of this then, A Jass One and a dummy using one... or maybe even both.

jass is very powerful

with jass, you dont need dummy units. you dont need to create a dummy unit in object editor with whatever abilities. u can use jass to create it on the spot and destroy it.

dummy units is an easy way to do most things... mosts things do not require the time and effort that using jass would take.

so, use dummy units when u can. if u cant, use jass. saves time. same effect.

Every time you see a missile on the screen, there's a new object.
Its "interaction" is also rather limited.

Why would an additional "create unit" be a problem all of a sudden?

JASS might be the coolest since Snooker on a color TV,
but that's just an opinion.

Any argument that goes "you're too stupid to understand"... do I really need to comment on that one?

This thread better get back on topic.

Every time you see a missile on the screen, there's a new object. All projectiles are are moving special effects, so it isn't the same as making a object that is suppost to attack, move (And pathfind), cast abilitys, have health, upgrade, train units, ect, if you disable all of them. I just think of making units, and disabling everything they can do, to be a really big kludge.

Any argument that goes "you're too stupid to understand"... do I really need to comment on that one? Yea, OK. So I was a little bit arrogant. My %*$!ing two rep bars... WaaAa....

This thread better get back on topic. RightO!

Some Psudocode for Pyramid of Light:
Code:
The Pyramid of Light UnitEnters function:
    Make (Entering Unit) invulnerable.

The Pyramid of Light UnitLeaves function:
    Make (Leaving Unit) vulnerable.

The Pyramid of Light function:
    Create local variables: trigger et: The entering trigger, trigger lt: The leaving trigger, lightning array l: The lightning effects, integer i: Loop Index

set l[0] = CreateLightning(lowerLeft point, upperLeft point)
    set l[1] = CreateLightning(upperLeft point, upperRight point)
    set l[8] = CreateLightning(lowerLeft point, highMiddle point)

set et = CreateTrigger()
    Regester a entering square event for et, with a region around the caster.
    Set the action of et to be the Pyramid of Light UnitEnters function

set lt = CreateTrigger()
    Regester a leaving square event for lt, with a region around the caster.
    Set the action of lt to be the Pyramid of Light UnitLeaves function

loop from 0 to the time desired:
        Damage Enemys
        Heal allys
        Wait for one second

DestroyTrigger(et)
    DestroyTrigger(lt)

set i = 0
    loop from 0 to 8:
        Destroy Lightning effect l[i]

Init the Pyramid of Light function, so it runs when a unit casts the Pyramid of Light spell.

And... PRESTO! A Pyramid of Light function, with no dummy units.
Acually, you can do the lightning effect creation in a loop... Didn't think about that

You can make a lightning pyramid without JASS to theres an entire lightning section of GUI...

Rad said:
You can make a lightning pyramid without JASS
Yea, I know. You can't make a local trigger (Or a local anything, for that matter) in the GUI, though.
Rad said:
theres an entire lightning section of GUI...
Well, I wouldn't phrase it "An entire section"... There are three functions: Create, move and destroy.

Well, I wouldn't phrase it "An entire section"... There are three functions: Create, move and destroy.
It has its own title 'Lightning' therefore it is in its own section.

Rad said:
It has its own title 'Lightning' therefore it is in its own section.
And Region has an entire section: Region - Move.

Well, it's almost done... just tryin to place in the effects and such. The Pyramid is kinda... ok... just fixin a few bugs though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.