Help! Spell: Pyramid of Light

KeresPup

Reaction score
=/ I'm really confused now on how to make spells now, ever since I heard of JASS....

Can someone help me out with this kind of spell?

An Ultimate Spell: Pyramid of Light.

In this spell, the caster would be in a channelling animation as he tries to complete the Pyramid of Light. The Pyramid of Light is simply made up of just lightning effects... I tried making it, but i couldn't seem to get to make the tip of the pyramid...

The effect of the Pyramid of Light would be, the friendly units in the pyramid would be healed in time, according to level, while if an enemy would be in the pyramid, he would lose his life points in time, no one in the pyramid can attack each other, unless they move out of it. Enemies outside the pyramid in a said range would experience damage, whilst friendlies outside the pyramid in a said range would experience an aura which gives them additional damage and attack speed.

=/ If anyone could help, please help me. And if there are any suggestions into making this into a better spell, please do tell me.

S

Sacreligious

Hmmm...tough ability

You could spawn an invisible, invulnerable unit that has big bad voodoo. Then make him cast it to make all the units invulnerable (you would set the targets to affect allies + enemies). He would also have permanent immolation to damage enemies only (target enemies only).

For the light effect, the only thing I can think of is spawning a ton of dummy units that are un-clickable...Someone else could probably help you with the "looks" of the spell.

KeresPup

Reaction score
Sacreligious said:
Hmmm...tough ability

You could spawn an invisible, invulnerable unit that has big bad voodoo. Then make him cast it to make all the units invulnerable (you would set the targets to affect allies + enemies). He would also have permanent immolation to damage enemies only (target enemies only).

For the light effect, the only thing I can think of is spawning a ton of dummy units that are un-clickable...Someone else could probably help you with the "looks" of the spell.

Uhhh... tried that dummy units thing... but the dummy unit on the top of the pyramid... the lightning doesn't seem to go to him at all... just at the ground below him... and that dummy unit is actually a flying one.

Korolen

New User (Why do I keep getting those red bars?)
Reaction score
Do you want to do it in JASS? I know you can set the Z value, along with the X and Y value of the lightning in JASS, athough I don't think you can do it in the GUI. As for the effects, you could make a trigger, and destroy it when the spell is done. Because I am assuming the pyramid is a square, you could just regester a unit entering and a unit leaving event for a local trigger.

KeresPup

Reaction score
Korolen said:
Do you want to do it in JASS? I know you can set the Z value, along with the X and Y value of the lightning in JASS, athough I don't think you can do it in the GUI. As for the effects, you could make a trigger, and destroy it when the spell is done. Because I am assuming the pyramid is a square, you could just regester a unit entering and a unit leaving event for a local trigger.

How excactly do I do that?

Korolen

Reaction score
KeresPup said:
How excactly do I do that?
How exactily do I do what? Also, do you know some JASS? If so, how much?

KeresPup

Reaction score
Korolen said:
How exactily do I do what? Also, do you know some JASS? If so, how much?

Uhhh... not yet at the moment, but I'm a very fast learner when it comes to coding.

I meant that how would I make a Pyramid of Light Effect.

P

Persen

Do like Sacreligious said, with a dummy caster casting bigbadvoodoo, make it flying, add some height, target the lightning at him, with a "lightning spell" (fingerofdeath w/o damage).

KeresPup

Reaction score
Persen said:
Do like Sacreligious said, with a dummy caster casting bigbadvoodoo, make it flying, add some height, target the lightning at him, with a "lightning spell" (fingerofdeath w/o damage).

Will try... but somehow, they idea of JASS seems to go around my head since it's kinda better since I don't have to make too many more dummies.
But I'll try.

and I'll be reading the JASS Manuals.

S

Sacreligious

I think dummy units are easier than jass...
You could have minor dummy units surrounding the central dummy unit
central one = in the air, directly above the caster
minor ones = on the ground, surrounding the caster

the minor ones would all cost healing wave that doesn't bounce or some other light effect? on the central dummy unit

Dunno, that just seems the easiest way to me.

KeresPup

Reaction score
Sacreligious said:
I think dummy units are easier than jass...
You could have minor dummy units surrounding the central dummy unit
central one = in the air, directly above the caster
minor ones = on the ground, surrounding the caster

the minor ones would all cost healing wave that doesn't bounce or some other light effect? on the central dummy unit

Dunno, that just seems the easiest way to me.

Hmmm... but is there a lightning effect that targets a flying unit?

Rad

Reaction score
I know you can set the Z value, along with the X and Y value of the lightning in JASS, athough I don't think you can do it in the GUI.

Actually, there is an entire lightning section for GUI. I didnt read the entire thread though, sorry I gotta go Ill help later if you havent figured it out. And yes I only posted this to prove that JASS isnt always better.

KeresPup

Reaction score
Errrr... Well then, I'll try fixing that myself...
But if anyone could help, here's the full detail of this Ultimate for my heroine, Esa the Priestess of Light:

Ultimate:

Pyramid of Light
Ability Type: Area/Supportive/Defensive/Offensive/Active/Channeling?
Explanation: Esa summons the Pyramid of Light, an entity that grants power to the user and its allies, while weakens enemies. Units in the Pyramid cannot attack each other, however, enemy units will suffer damage per second upon entering the pyramid while ally units will recieve enhanced regeneration rates. Units outside the pyramid at a certain distance: Other than recieving damage Enemy units will recieve random "ailments" such as blindness, slow, stun, when the pyramid is completely summoned. Ally units recieve random buffs such as protection, strength and all other buffs. When a unit is out of reach from the pyramid's light (area) the buffs and ailments are automatically cancelled. If the pyramid is completely summoned, the priestess cannot move out of the pyramid, until it disappears. And if the Priestess dies, the pyramid is automatically destroyed.

(NOTE: If the Priestess is killed before the Pyramid of Light is summoned, ALL (enemy or ally) units in the area will recieve 100x level of ultimate in an area. So that means... protect the priestess! ^^)

Mana Cost = 100/150/220
Cooldown = 60/50/30
Casting time = 40/30/20
Pyramid Area = 200/300/400

Level 1 - Ally Units in the pyramid will get better regeneration rates. Enemy units in the pyramid lose 1% hp per second staying in the pyramid. Upon the summon is finished, the enemy outside the pyramid will recieve 100 damage, while the enemies inside will recieve 200 damage. Enemies outside can randomly become Slow, whilst Allies outside will recieve +5% attack and movement speed. Pyramid lasts for only 10 seconds.

Level 2 - Ally Units in the pyramid will get better regeneration rates. Enemy units in the pyramid lose 2% hp per second staying in the pyramid. Upon the summon is finished, the enemy outside the pyramid will recieve 140 damage, while the enemies inside will recieve 230 damage. Enemies outside can randomly become Slow or Stunned, whilst Allies outside will recieve +8% attack and movement speed. Pyramid lasts for 15 seconds.

Level 3 - Ally Units in the pyramid will get better regeneration rates. Enemy units in the pyramid lose 3% hp per second staying in the pyramid. Upon the summon is finished, the enemy outside the pyramid will recieve 180 damage, while the enemies inside will recieve 310 damage. Enemies outside can randomly become Slowed, Stunned, Poisoned, whilst Allies outside will recieve +15% attack and movement speed. Pyramid lasts for 25 seconds.

And if this skill were to be a success... I think lots of people would say...
"Wicked Sick!"

Well, back to trying to make this thing.

C

Cepheids

simple solutions

if the 3 levels of pyramids are the same size, it would be easy. a simple square pyramid would have 5 points. if u want to make it channel for 40 seconds before completing, you would need to have 40 layers for it to be remotely close to resembling a pyramid. each layer would need 4 points for the 4 corners. so you need to summon 160 dummy units. give them a wierd classification ok? also, model can be Avatar of Vengence missile ok? its a nice blue orb, give it a 0.1 scaling so it aint so big.

now make a chainlightning ability that does no damage, can hit invulnerable and targetable only to these 160 dummy units. it can have many bounces if u want, i suggest 10 bounces.

now, make a trigger that will set a variable indicating the spell is being channeled. make another trigger that is a periodic event, 1 second. summon 4 units on each of the four corners, use polar coordinates, u know that right, and every second, summon 4 more, this time at the same polar angle, but shorter radius, and make it float a little. im not sure if u can make the float thing work using triggers, at worst, you have to make 40 different units each with a different hover height. im sure its worth the trouble.

now, these units have this chainlightning ability. everysecond, order them to chainlightning another unit. the effect is a nice dazzling display of the sides of the pyramid zapping to another side, or across the same side or wadeva. diagonal too. it might look like a solid blue pyramid if u give it too many bounces. since all the units would be casting together... maybe 5 bounces would suffice?

now for the inside and outside problem. like i said, if the pyramids are the same size, it would be easy cuz u can make 2 regions. and use the move region action to move the small region to the point of ability cast. and have another trigger to deal with the bonuses that deals with the inside thing. it should be easy. and move the large region too. this one for the units nearby thing.

i hope this works, cuz it sounds like it can work, without jass too.

C

Cepheids

oopz

you did say that the base size is different... ok that means u gotta custom make more regions for you to move. its still easy

Korolen

Reaction score
I hate dummy units. If you are useing a dummy unit, you are doing something a cruddy way. Almost ANYTHING can be done without dummys, and that's how it should be.

Rad

Reaction score
What the hell are you talking about Korolen? Many spells would be IMPOSSIBLE without dummy units. If by 'cruddy way' you mean casting storm bolt to stun a unit but using a dummy unit sure... but do you know a way to cast 3 storm bolts in 1 second without using them?

Korolen

Reaction score
Rad said:
Many spells would be IMPOSSIBLE without dummy units.
Name a few. Almost anything can replace dummy units, if you use JASS.

Rad

Reaction score
Well...

A: If you need to cast a spell rather than do all the buffs and effects with triggers you can use a dummy unit
B: Dummy units make it easy to customize your own spells
C: I dont use JASS, and would rather do it the hard way
D: how do you channel volcano with JASS without a dummy unit? Im sure its not as hard as 3 actions to do everything...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think we need to add something to the bottom of the front page that shows the Headline News forum that has a link to go to the News Forum Index so people can see there is more news. Do you guys see what I am saying, lets say you read all the articles on the front page and you get to the end and it just ends, no kind of link for MOAR!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Wednesday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.