hero learning more than five abilities (no spellbook solutions plz)

Kaine

Reaction score
i have this hero skill system where a hero learns a skill regularly (through the red plus sign) from one of two choices and the picked ability will end up in a spell book and then both research ability icons will be removed and two new ones will be added (sorry if this sounds confusing)

the problem is i can only have 5 abilities per hero. it was working until i got to the sixth skill in the tree.

Level 3- two available skills
Taunt or Bash

If the hero picks taunt, taunt is added to the spell book and both skills are replaced with First Aid and Devotion Aura which are learnable at level 5. But if the player picks Bash, Taunt and Bash should be replaced by Carrion Swarm and Fan of Knives, but Fan of Knives does not show up on the research icons because it is the sixth hero ability. I want to fix this problem without removing and recreating the hero because I have a second customizable spell book and it would be a big problem adding those abilities back if the original hero was removed.

Dialogue skill choosing is an option but I want to try to keep the interface as clean as possible. Any ideas? thanks :D

Ryushi

"I will stand, or I will fall. I will not sit."
Reaction score
You could set up a multiboard, and allow the user to select which abilities they want to level up from there.

Kaine

Reaction score
Ahh was hoping it wouldn't come to that but I guess multiboard works and its cleaner than dialogue selection. Thank you :D

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
Use a dummy for the skill picking? You can add dummy skills that would detect the players choice and simply add and remove skills from the hero the player uses. Use a simple index for the heroes.

DioD

Reaction score
you may use dummy shop with dummy units, since this will allow you to keep track of all skills and display number on every "skill".
also you may set cost for every skill in resources.

also you may try to trick with move-attack orders to hide them on actual unit, as i know this is possible only with playerflag trick (check my threads)

luorax

Invasion in Duskwood
Reaction score
Yes, a dummy shop unit is a nice idea. You can detect when a player hits the skills button, just create a trigger, add this event to that trigger, and select the hero's dummy shop unit.

For multi-level abilities, you can use either spells or upgrades. Using upgrades're easier, but you can't level down an update, so you can't respend your points.
But if you aren't a beginner triggerer, you can create your own spell abilities, and level them up/down, depending what the player chooses. This's a bit harder (no, it isn't true - it requires more work, but it isn't harder), but more effective. And players like when they're able to respend their talent points.

DioD

Reaction score
its possible to increase number of units in shop on purchase, just add 2 to its unit stock, ofc you will have problem with zero level, since no way to get units if there is no such unit in shop.

you may show player NEXT level of skill, it will work too, everyone can substract 1 onfly.

it will let you to display levels from shop.

also you are free to change stock onfly, adding or removing skills.

Kaine

Reaction score
Okay, I have decided to go with the dummy shop and units idea and it works wonderfully. One problem though, is there any way to set a tech requirement on a dummy unit that can be hired? I realize I could use add/remove unit from marketplace triggers, but I want the skill to show up so players get the idea what ability they will be choosing when they level, and I need the second resource so using resources to limit buying abilities from the shop is not an option. Thanks again.

DioD

Reaction score
tech reqs work for items (100% sure, check standart shops) for units - try to do same as for items.

also you can replace unit with other unit with same icon, but 0 max stock and different descriptions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.