I Shall Need Opinions for a Website.

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
MercChris (in my user cp) said:
wtf are you talking about, read before you post.
MercChris said:
Hey I thought since i have $500 bucks saved up in a couple weeks that maybe I should start a website
JerseyFoo said:
quoting '$500' Don't see how that has anything to do with it.
MercChris said:
I never said im spending $500....Im not that stupid.
MercChris said:
Hey I thought since i have $500 bucks saved up in a couple weeks that maybe I should start a website
Yeah, I read. Did you? Notice that I made my first point that it's unrelated, so I didn't say I thought you were going to spend $500. Here it is again so you may read...
JerseyFoo said:
quoting '$500' Don't see how that has anything to do with it.

---------
kcRage102 said:
That Julia thing DOES NOT work
Please remember we are talking from a Webmaster's perspective, not a user
MercChris said:
Cause its a pretty pointless post. Im actually trying to get serious opinions here. I hate kids coming and just posting random crap before they even read all the posts.

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/t...wgjhEnMoELRwVXuLasL6OVQ=&range=6m&size=Medium
http://www.affiliatescout.com/travel/vacation/6.html said:
WinYourCruise.com is the only place to receive a Complimentary Bahamas Cruise Vacation from Imperial Majesty. Customers will only be responsible for port fees of $59 per person. All entertainment and meals are included. All affiliates will be paid $1.50 for every lead!

^ The email input on that page

Serious, yeah, why not.

How can you be serious with a video hosting site. Have you considered that it will be impossible to offer the video quality of sites like youtube or veoh even with a tiny audience. Have you considered it will be impossible to not have a debt in doing so. Have you considered how much competition there is, that there is literally a million video sites out there that no one visits. Do you even know how to design a player, or do you plan on using that free jw one.

Not even to mention there's no spark here, "I'll go make a video site, woo".

If you want to get in on videos, I recommend finding a niche and using embs. Good HTML for such, blocks ads, hosts messing with your users, merges flashvars with src, xhtml validates, and is compatible.
Code:
<object data="http://www.somevideosite.com/player.swf?flashvars=flashval&more=stuff" id="video" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">
  <param name="movie" value="http://www.somevideosite.com/player.swf?flashvars=flashval&more=stuff"/>
  <param name="quality" value="high"/>
  <param name="scale" value="noorder"/>
  <param name="wmode" value="transparent"/>
  <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="never"/>
  <param name="allownetworking" value="internal"/>
  <param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"/>
  <param name="pluginspage" value="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"/>
</object>

Reaction score
Omfg I swear dude your getting on my nerves. Im asking for opinions, not someone to just criticize other peoples ideas. And yeah My brother is a master at doing pretty much anything. He works for AOL now cause they saw how great he was with web designs and programming. He also recieved $200,000 with stock he put in with a small site before AOL bought because of the work they saw my brother do. So he used that money to help me out with some things and buy new equipments and software to help us both out. So not only am I putting in work and money, but my brother is helping me out also with programming and the web design section. So All I wanted from you guys were things on what you like so I can better understand what people want instead of going up to random peope physically in the world and just asking them.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Calm down. JerseyFoo is just making sure you're aware of the harsh competition you're about to face. He's also trying to help you with strategies. Maybe you should take his advice into consideration instead of freaking out. You should make the right decisions now, so when you do make the site you'll be able to make a profit to pay for your expenses, which you will have. I assure you, you will have to pay some big bucks to get your site off the ground... that or you have friends in high places.

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
AOL's standards disgust me.

To find out what people want, go look at the websites which people visit. The opinions from those here aren't going to help much. People want "secret sex" as my example illustrated.

And I only criticized starting a video hosting site ( if you call that 'your idea' ) because you dismiss mine as something "non-serious" posted by a "kid" who "didn't read".

I assure you, you will have to pay some big bucks to get your site off the ground... that or you have friends in high places.
There are many genres still unsettled, and many to be revealed.

Reaction score
Hey my brother being in AOL will be able to do some things for me so its not something I have to worry about.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I think that some people aren't understanding correctly, or maybe it's me. Chris, you want a distraction, not something profitable, correct?

Well, what are your ideas so far?
A blog of somewhat random stuff would be cool. Or maybe with the latest 'trends' on the internet gathered in one site!

Reaction score
Yes im not looking for profit. Im looking for something to work on to get my mind off my ex. A blog would be cool. haha and yeah have a shop, forum, youtube clone script, file uploader, image hosting site, social community site.

esb

Reaction score
How about a public and social journal like site? More or less a forum, where people can post funny stuff they find on the internet, videos, sites, pictures, articles, etc. Thigns that make you go wtf? and lol! And maybe also allow a thread or something similar for people to write like a little journal of their day, what they did, etc. Entertainment. Although the last bit of the idea might not exactly get your mind off your ex, it would be cool to know what other people are going through and living through.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
If you want to take your mind off your ex go restore an old cheap car. It'll work a lot better than starting some random website.

esb

Reaction score
While it might, it's more expensive that a website :p
Even though it would have a bigger purpose and personal gain than a site...

Varine

Reaction score
While it might, it's more expensive that a website :p
Even though it would have a bigger purpose and personal gain than a site...

You go buy a cheap car for 400 dollars, spend a few thousand over a few years restoring it and making it work all nice and good. Takes time and commitment and you'll probably learn some good things from the whole thing. And then you end up with a car that you possibly have an emotional attachment to (maybe not emotional, but still).

You spend a hundred dollars or so on a website domain name and some space, then make monthly payments of like ten dollars a month to keep it up. You spend two weeks doing scripting and maybe an hour a day pruning it and fixing some things on it. Then one day you're like this is stupid I don't want it anymore and you leave with nothing to take from it.

What seems like a better way to forget someone? Personally I wouldn't do either, I would probably just go volunteer for another tour of Iraq or Afghanistan, but that's just me because I'm weird and love it.

Reaction score
Yeah Ill go take a trip anywhere but im only 16. And I already help my grandpa out with his old bonneville. Sooo yeah.

Varine

Reaction score
Yeah Ill go take a trip anywhere but im only 16. And I already help my grandpa out with his old bonneville. Sooo yeah.

Good time to get a car to fix up so when you're 17 you can do whatever you want.

Reaction score
well since my brother is buying a new car im getting his old volkswagon passat. But yeah when I get it im going to fix it up and install a sound system. To bad I only have my permit and probably wont be another half year I get his car.

Varine

Reaction score
well since my brother is buying a new car im getting his old volkswagon passat. But yeah when I get it im going to fix it up and install a sound system. To bad I only have my permit and probably wont be another half year I get his car.

Really, making a website isn't a very good idea to get your mind off anything big like this probably is for you. I mean, it be fun for you, I don't know about your interests. But your mind won't be occupied with it for long. Honestly I don't care what you do because I don't care about how feel really, but a website's not the way to go to forget girlfriends and things.
And just because you're getting a car doesn't mean you can't go get another one to rebuild. I'm not trying to force it on you or anything, but you need something that will take commitment to finish. I can't see starting a little website as fulfilling that.

Reaction score
Well its working cause i havn't been thinking of her at all until you brought it up. Soo yeahhhh. Im grounded from really doing anything because of my grades so what do you suggest?

esb

Reaction score
Study and get your grades up?

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
LOL pfffft who studies >.>

what about a diablo 3 forums? where you can give like super awesome videos and updates and have it more alive then the d3 in TheHelper

Reaction score
Yeah but everytime someone starts a gaming forum it just gets criticized and stuff. So thats why im hesitating.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.