Increasing magic damage

marvey323

Reaction score
Few questions:

1 - Is it possible to have an item increase a hero's spell damage ?

2 - How can I restrict the item to a specific class ?

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
when you cast a spell give the targeted unit a negative value spell damage reduction ability (it's a item ability)
although the best solution would be making the item to increase hero's ability levels by 1 (it's how is Dota's Afganim scepter done)

marvey323

Reaction score
Trigger:
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to Mage
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 6, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Item-type of (Item carried by (Casting unit) in slot (Integer A))) Equal to Staff
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Add Amplify Magic Damage to (Target unit of ability being cast)
            • Else - Actions

Here's what I have and it doesn't work.

I created a custom ability called 'Amplify Magic Damage' and set it's damage reduction to -0.1 (So that's +10% magic damage that it will take right...)

Tom Jones

N/A
Reaction score
when you cast a spell give the targeted unit a negative value spell damage reduction ability (it's a item ability)
although the best solution would be making the item to increase hero's ability levels by 1 (it's how is Dota's Afganim scepter done)
You sure about that, 'cause I would wager that Afghanim's Scepter uses customized Engineering Upgrade abilities :p

marvey323

Reaction score
Any other takers on this?

Here's what I have so far:
Trigger:
  • Magic Damage Amplification
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Lightning Bolt
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 6, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Item-type of (Item carried by (Triggering unit) in slot (Integer A))) Equal to Staff
            • Then - Actions
              • Game - Display to (All players) the text: You have dealt
              • Unit - Add Amplify Magic Damage to (Target unit of ability being cast)
            • Else - Actions

Stryke

Reaction score
Why not just use 'Unit - Make Unit Damage Unit' on an event of 'Unit - A unit finishes casting an ability'.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Why not just use 'Unit - Make Unit Damage Unit' on an event of 'Unit - A unit finishes casting an ability'.
From what I recall, the Target event responses aren't available with the Finishes Casting event, so you wouldn't be able to damage anything.

The most effective solution would be to trigger all damage, and associate a value with each unit/hero which would act as a spellpower value, and possibly associate values with abilities if you wanted each ability to take different amounts from spellpower e.g. abil A does 50% of spellpower in damage, abil B does 70% of spellpower in damage, etc.

This would be, by far, the most difficult solution, but it's (1) accurate, since you may remove the negative Spell Damage Reduction too late, and other units may be able to take advantage of that amplification, MUI would also be an issue and (2) it allows far more freedom since you could easily do
Code:
Set Spellpower[Custom Value of (some unit)] = 100
Make (some unit) damage (other unit) for Spellpower[Custom value of (some unit)] * AbilitySpellpowerCoefficient of attack type X and damage type Y
although you would need gamecache for the spellpower factors, since rawcodes are way too large numerically to be stored in an array

Bird

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
1. Set yourself up with a "unit takes damage" event/trigger. Whenever a unit enters the map, you add them to this trigger.

2. In your damage trigger - use the conditions "Type of Damage is equal to spells" and "Damage Source has XXX Item".

3. In your Actions multiply damage taken by .25, or .5, or whatever you bonus damage is. Then re-deal that damage to target with a dummy unit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.