World Japan: 'Anti-loneliness' cafe goes viral

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
(CNN) -- Talk about creative coping mechanisms for being alone -- from the blogger who photographs selfies with his imaginary girlfriend to the company that takes your stuffed animals on vacation without you, Japan appears to be cornering the market on accommodating solo travelers.

You can now add the "anti-loneliness" Moomin House Cafe to the menagerie of "wait, what?" strokes of Japanese brilliance.

We first wrote about the Moomin House Cafe in 2012, but the cafe went viral a few weeks ago and has since been besieged with customers wanting a taste of its "anti-loneliness" magic. CNN's Yuki Arawaka paid a visit (see gallery photos) following the cafe's new surge in popularity.

To save its lone customers from the awkward perils of solo dining, the cafe kindly seats diners with stuffed animal companions called Moomins, a family of white hippo-like characters created by Finnish illustrator and writer Tove Jansson.

Moomins are brought to each table so that patrons -- solo or in groups -- can have a turn sitting with them.
Weekday mornings are the quietest time, while weekends are packed all day long.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
To save its lone customers from the awkward perils of solo dining, the cafe kindly seats diners with stuffed animal companions called Moomins, a family of white hippo-like characters created by Finnish illustrator and writer Tove Jansson.
Wtf? And I thought they would force people to sit together on big round tables or something.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Wtf? And I thought they would force people to sit together on big round tables or something.
You can't force people, else there will be backlashes. You still have a choice on whether to dine by yourself, or have a plush doll sit next to you. And, since the Japanese society embrace plush dolls as if they are animate beings, you won't have to be shy about it. It's nice to be a kid when you're an adult.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
If you sit with a plushy you are still lonely. In fact, I would call that even more lonely then sitting alone.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
If you sit with a plushy you are still lonely. In fact, I would call that even more lonely then sitting alone.
But they are fans of the anime. And you know how fans go with their obsessions.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
What a freaking great idea! Someone needs to try this concept in the US!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.