Environment Laser creates clouds over Germany

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
A laser has been used to generate small clouds on demand in lab, and real-world experiments suggest this could be a way to call down rain when it's needed.

People have experimented with cloud seeding for decades in the hope of boosting rainfall, usually by sprinkling silver iodide crystals into clouds high in the atmosphere.

These crystals encourage large water droplets to form around them, and the droplets then fall as rain – in theory, at least. "The efficiency of this technique is controversial," says Jérôme Kasparian at the University of Geneva, Switzerland, one member of a research team that think lasers may be a better way to trigger rain on demand.

Kasparian and colleagues have just reported the first successful use of this technique to summon clouds from air both in the lab and in the skies over Berlin, Germany.

Last edited:

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Wouldn't this theoretically make the air more arid and dry after it rains? Just a thought.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
terraforming!!! cool; however... this is kind of a scary thought when you start to thinking about how we would immediately try to use this all over the place without too much thought as to what the consequences would be...

CatCat

Reaction score
Wouldn't this theoretically make the air more arid and dry after it rains? Just a thought.

Perhaps, but humidity level is balance equation. If the humidity is "forced" to become less due to this laser. Then due to less water in the atmosphere balance will kick in which will cause the atmosphere to absorb more moisture from the earth.
You may be aware that this balance value is closely tied to temperature. So e.g. say you turn the radiator on in your house when it is very cold. You would then forcibly rise the temperature of your house atmosphere. The atmosphere in your house can (and will) absorb more moisture. This makes it seem like everything is "dryer", because the air suddenly takes up more water to compensate.
Relative_Humidity.png

So the air will become more arid and "dry" but, it will also absorb water at a much quicker rate, so theoretically it will compensate. This does mean that the air fronts take up more water from ground level though. But since bodies of air are always in motion, we can just assume they'll do that in the oceans (since there's a lot of water there).

Durandal

Reaction score
No just thought it was cool...scientists are learning how to do way awesome stuff these days...

chanta45

Reaction score
Playing with nature should be forbidden? lol nub

Science is playing with nature, get over it.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
We have been 'tampering with nature' ever since we invented anything. Anything artificial is tampering with nature because nature didn't make it. And yeah, most has gotten us killed. Nature uses storms, fire, thunder, heat, floods, etc. to kill, that's about it (which aren't so often). Oh, and disease too.

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
We have been 'tampering with nature' ever since we invented anything. Anything artificial is tampering with nature because nature didn't make it. And yeah, most has gotten us killed. Nature uses storms, fire, thunder, heat, floods, etc. to kill, that's about it (which aren't so often). Oh, and disease too.

Precisely, global warming is messing with nature, for those who believe in it, and we are the cause of it.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
OR, Global warming IS nature, and we are just sitting here going along for the ride of Earth's cycle. Who knows, can't tell. Instead of trying to study and blame one another, we should just get ready and prepare for it. It seems inevitable.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
^ well, now it's pretty inevitable, whoever is right. to stop it going past the 2º increase we would have to cut emissions by like 20% (which will never happen).

making rainclouds are nothing compared to some of the things that people are like considering releasing aerosols into the atmosphere to combat warming (aka dupming stuff into the atmosphere that will reflect some of the suns rays back into space, like a small volcanic winter).

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
I agree, we shouldn't be tampering with nature like this, on one hand, yes it sounds really cool in theory. At the same time there's a reason it rains when it rains. Forcing rain in an area that has little, or maybe even no rain, could prove disastrous. It could change the habitat and environment drastically, or not at all. I'd much rather not find out.

As for the natures cycles, I also agree. The Earth, like our bodies and everything in nature, goes through life cycles. Global Warming, most likely followed by an Ice Age, would wipe the slate clean allowing new life to begin again.

Kind of went off topic, but regardless, it sounds cool, but personally I don't know if I want it to be used.

Durandal

Reaction score
In terms of weather I agree, as it's a fairly complex system that we can't begin to understand

Also, global warming is utter bullshit, I live in Idaho, and anyone else who lives here will laugh in your face when you mention it.

So will the canadians, and anyone near the arctic

However, tampering with nature isn't all bad, genetic manipulation with plants have led to higher yields of crops for example.

We also 'tamper' daily with organizations such as the fish and game, who ensure that people don't take more then the environment can give back

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +1
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.