Sci/Tech Mankind 'shortening the universe's life'

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Forget about the threat that mankind poses to the Earth: our activities may be shortening the life of the universe too.

The startling claim is made by a pair of American cosmologists investigating the consequences for the cosmos of quantum theory, the most successful theory we have. Over the past few years, cosmologists have taken this powerful theory of what happens at the level of subatomic particles and tried to extend it to understand the universe, since it began in the subatomic realm during the Big Bang.

But there is an odd feature of the theory that philosophers and scientists still argue about. In a nutshell, the theory suggests that we change things simply by looking at them and theorists have puzzled over the implications for years.

They often illustrate their concerns about what the theory means with mind-boggling experiments, notably Schrodinger's cat in which, thanks to a fancy experimental set up, the moggy is both alive and dead until someone decides to look, when it either carries on living, or dies. That is, by one interpretation (by another, the universe splits into two, one with a live cat and one with a dead one.)

New Scientist reports a worrying new variant as the cosmologists claim that astronomers may have accidentally nudged the universe closer to its death by observing dark energy, a mysterious anti gravity force which is thought to be speeding up the expansion of the cosmos.

Last edited:

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
So basically they're juxtaposing theories and experiments based purely on assumption to try and explain that because we viewed dark energy, it set in motion the universe's rapid expansion?

How absurd.

Schrodinger's cat wasn't meant to explain a subatomic particle's superposition of multiple states - it was meant to explain the strangeness of quantum mechanics and the mathematics needed to describe quantum states.

Insane!

Shh I didn't edit this, go away.
Reaction score
New Scientist reports a worrying new variant as the cosmologists claim that astronomers may have accidentally nudged the universe closer to its death by observing dark energy, a mysterious anti gravity force which is thought to be speeding up the expansion of the cosmos.

yeah we better just leave the universe alone
and leave that stuff alone

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Hmm, startling claim? I'm sure I'm not the only one who knew this, it's kinda obvious, how many animals do you see attempting to defy the laws of gravity and physics?

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
Hmm, startling claim? I'm sure I'm not the only one who knew this, it's kinda obvious, how many animals do you see attempting to defy the laws of gravity and physics?
Dunno, only thing I know is that no one succeeded yet and no one never will. The only thing we can defy is the systems that we think are the laws of gravity and physics, and thus we have to change our laws to better match the real ones.

It's all dark magic, really dark magic.

That's the reason why I selected an education without physics, I rather do something where I can be sure that the answer is correct.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Based on the fact that the universe splits every time an option is presented, at any one time, the number of split-off must be insane.

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
I Don't really believe this.
This goes on the theory that split idea whenever an observation was made... however, had that been true, an infinite number of universes would have opened since the first WORD was spoken. Inside of each those infinite universes, another infinte universes would be created, and another in those... and onward and onward.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> universe splits every time an option is presented
Not proven. Probably never will be.

As interesting as it is, I fail to accept Schrödinger's cat, I simply don't think the universe exists because we're watching it. And no, I don't think it will cease to exist from that same reason either.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
The number of universes are only infinite if the number of chooses are. I suppose that the number of different universes will be equal to the number of different states an universe can be in, or at least approaching that number. The number of different states an universe can be in is just insane, with or without quantum theory.

Idontknowyou

Reaction score
The entire thing is completely subjective; the writer does not support his theories, nor are his theories based off of science, or common sence for that matter.

Reaction score
Complete drivel. Interfering with, say, an electron in order to measure it will result in a change of state or "wave function collapse". That is about as far as the so-called "observer effect" goes. This nonsense about shortening the life of the universe and cats being both alive and dead at the same time is utter lunacy, produced and packaged by "pop sci" magazines for the consumption of the mindless public.

Schrodingers cat was never meant to be taking seriously - people talk about it as if it would actually happen. This is precisely what Schrodinger was trying to avoid; in fact, the entire point of the thought experiment was to illustrate the absurd conclusion and how it might point to a flawed assumption.

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
We people are so very small in such a vast universe, so i doubt we have little, if any effect on it.

Of course we could corrupt the world tho and cause it to die quicker.

Somatic

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
This theories are merely just part of what the Quantum Theory would be able to infer. But then again its possible since we, are merely a small part of this universe, does have its significant value in this giantic mass we are in. So it is up to time to show if we are, infact causing the down fall of this galaxy, or the worries are merely hoax.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
> universe splits every time an option is presented
Not proven. Probably never will be.

As interesting as it is, I fail to accept Schrödinger's cat, I simply don't think the universe exists because we're watching it. And no, I don't think it will cease to exist from that same reason either.
Sorry, shouldn't have said fact, ment based of the theory that a seperate timeline is created when ever an option presents it self.
:)

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Enough with the scare stories already! I really could care less! Why don't we go in search of something good for once?!? [insert long line of profanity here] governments all want to scare us into submission! I can't f***ing take it any longer!

I would pay for scientists to actually come up with soemthing and say, look! This thing will revolutionise humanity!
Something worthwhile!

Or is it too much to ask for? Is it just easier to ram scare stories down our throats?
Yeah so some may be true. But something that's based on a theory for god's sake!

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
It isn't. But it's the motives behind such stories. They think they can scare the average joe on the street. I could show this to a lot of people I know and 9 out of 10 would believe there was an immenant threat. Not everyone takes into account the details.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Dunno, only thing I know is that no one succeeded yet and no one never will. The only thing we can defy is the systems that we think are the laws of gravity and physics, and thus we have to change our laws to better match the real ones.

I realised that we never actually defied these laws, so I worded my question:

"how many animals do you see attempting to defy the laws of gravity and physics?"

Humans are the only species doing anything that could potentially (easily?) kill the planet, whilst pretty much everything else lives normally or tries to cope with the changes we make >_<.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.