Microsoft's Monopoly

Zakyath

Reaction score
They don't!
They often don't even know what an "operating system" is.

Yeah. But only a small percentage, I'd say 30% max, actually ever make such a choice. And due to the dependency on DX, most chose Microsoft, but not by affiliation, rather than by constraint.

There are alternatives - at least for the end users. For the hardware devs, it's not that easy. And this is where the problem lies.

And many - me, e.g., use the standard (windows) because we're too lazy to pick anything else. If I got to choose the OS that came with the computer, I maybe would have picked another.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
And many - me, e.g., use the standard (windows) because we're too lazy to pick anything else. If I got to choose the OS that came with the computer, I maybe would have picked another.

You do get to pick. Your hard drive isn't locked to Windows.

Zakyath

Reaction score
You do get to pick. Your hard drive isn't locked to Windows.

Yes, of course I can change OS anytime I want. I know that. That was kinda my point. But when I buy a computer, I enter DELL's website, choose what I want in my computer, then get it sent home. With Windows. But I wouldn't know what OS that would fit me best, so I just go with the one that comes with the computer. If I had several to choose between whenever I bought a computer, maybe I would get one more adjusted to me. Of course, "it's my own fault", I don't deny that - but still, it doesn't contradict the fact that there's a chance that I would have gotten an OS that fits me better if Windows wasn't the most common OS that comes with the most computer, does it?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.