Minigame Contest #1 | Results Thread

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
MinigameI.png

Results Thread
Well, here are the results of the Halloween contest. Sorry about the record-breaking amount of time it took. It just so happened that I was very busy, and Berp just suddenly decided to quit just a few days ago. As such, the minigames were graded by only me.

As for the delay, it's the first time it's been so bad, and hopefully it'll be the last too. To compensate, the rep rewards have increased slightly, and I'll be rewarding all contestants with some rep.​

Results
  1. WastedSavior
  2. OneBadPsycho
  3. Purification
All three of you receive rep rewards and bragging rights. :D

Comments
Kaboo - Ghosts Day
  • Gameplay - 8/40
    • It's pretty boring, there's not much action involved. Just kill some units.
    • The units are ridiculously strong. You'd need like 200 players to win.
    • The difficulty could've been alterated based on the number of players.
    • At midnight (when the game was supposed to end), I got the message "THREE HOURS REMAINING".
    • I didn't quite feel the midnight evil.
    • The few seconds that passed were quite intense. :p
  • Eye Candy - 7/20
    • Doesn't look particularly great
    • Flat terrain, 3 tiles (including blight), spammed doodads. :(
    • The loading screen is simple, yet nice.
  • Theme - 15/20
    • It's somewhat 'halloweenish'. Though perhaps it's more 'undead' themed, than 'halloween' themed.
    • This is a minigame
  • Other - 15/20
    • The secret item is an interesting addition, though it seems to be the only way of winning.
    • A few grammar errors here and there.
  • Total: 45/100

Purification - Halloween Chase
  • Gameplay - 28/40
    • Spells are awesome (though mostly not made by you. :p)
    • Divine shield is target cast.
    • Abom should have some basic AI.
    • Spell End Cast events are abusable; the abilities are never removed if you move as you case.
    • divine shield heals too, rendering the games endless with it never being removed.
    • Overall though, I like the basic, arena type idea.
  • Eye Candy- 7/20
    • The terrain is rubbish.
    • Spammed effects
    • Some spells look good.
  • Theme - 15/20
    • It's certainly a minigame.
    • It's somewhat halloween themed, though seems more of undead themed.
  • Other - 12/20
    • Some sounds, events, dialog, etc to make the game more interesting would be nice.
  • Total: 62/100

Accname - Halloween Rider
  • Gameplay - 22/40
    • I seemingly randomly lost 750 HP, all my mana, and restarted in the start area (as the rider)
    • The starting area is completely blocked off, so if I have no mana, or no way of getting mana, I'm trapped.
    • The Halloween rider should be a hero. :p
    • Some Zombies just stood around and did nothing. Though the zombie AI is pretty cool in general.
    • The win conditions didn't work (33 zombies AND kill all human heroes)
    • Despite all the bugs, the gameplay isn't too shabby.
  • Eye Candy- 20/20
    • The terrain is amazing
    • This, in general, looks very neat.
  • Theme - 7/20
    • This is not a minigame, but more of a full map (This would probably do considerably better in a different contest. :p).
    • It fits the halloween theme quite well.
  • Other - 9/20
    • It took us 3 attempts to get it working.
    • There are many grammar errors
    • The cinematic is nice, and certainly sets the scene.
  • Total: 58/100

Wiseman 2 - Night of the living Impaired
  • Gameplay - 20/40
    • It get's interesting once the abilities are learned, and ocne the zombies could kill you if you screw up
    • But before that it's boring, and it becomes repetitive.
  • Eye Candy- 8/20
    • The terrain is awfully boring.
  • Theme - 10/20
    • This seems like either a very big minigame, or a small map. It's difficult to judge. :p
    • It fits the halloween theme quite well (though it too, strays towards undead).
  • Other - 12/20
    • Some other events, sounds, etc would be nice.
  • Total: 50/100

OneBadPsycho - Pumpkin Paths
  • Gameplay - 37/40
    • It's fun, I certainly enjoyed playing the map
    • Those combos can really be racked up by simply using blink continuosly, especially once blink is level 3.
  • Eye Candy- 15/20
    • The terrain is nice.
    • It's generally neat and well made.
  • Theme - 18/20
    • It certainly fits the halloween theme
    • It's a somewhat large minigame, but a minigame nonetheless.
  • Other - 9/20
    • More spells would be nice.
    • I kept killing Berps kid before he chose a costume.
  • Total: 79/100

WastedSavior - Shadow Temple
  • Gameplay - 35/40
    • The idea is good, and original.
    • The leaderboard score seemed to go up regardless of who scored, and the wrong person won sometimes.
  • Eye Candy- 17/20
    • The torch effect looks great
    • The terrain and visuals aren't bad
  • Theme - 20/20
    • Halloween themed, and certainly a minigame.
  • Other - 9/20
    • Torches should probably spawn randomly, as I knew where they all were and the best way to get many after a few games
  • Total: 81/100

Closing Notes
It was very close between 1st and 2nd places; I had to review the grades numerous times, and it simply came down to which one I preferred rather than based on grades.

I'd like to once again apologize for the delay. Also, remember to congratulate and rep all those who participated, especially the winners.

Main Thread
Submissions Thread

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Next contest will be hosted by WastedSavior. :)

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No.. If you knew, you'd have extra time. :p

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Accname - Halloween Rider

* Gameplay - 22/40
o I seemingly randomly lost 750 HP, all my mana, and restarted in the start area (as the rider)
o The starting area is completely blocked off, so if I have no mana, or no way of getting mana, I'm trapped.
o The Halloween rider should be a hero.
o Some Zombies just stood around and did nothing. Though the zombie AI is pretty cool in general.
o The win conditions didn't work (33 zombies AND kill all human heroes)
o Despite all the bugs, the gameplay isn't too shabby.
* Eye Candy- 20/20
o The terrain is amazing
o This, in general, looks very neat.
* Theme - 7/20
o This is not a minigame, but more of a full map (This would probably do considerably better in a different contest. ).
o It fits the halloween theme quite well.
* Other - 9/20
o It took us 3 attempts to get it working.
o There are many grammar errors
o The cinematic is nice, and certainly sets the scene.
* Total: 58/100

he he i imagined the results to be like this. but come on, do you really have to grade the grammar? english is not my mother tongue, not even close of being it. if you understood the overall plot it couldnt be that bad could it?

and maybe its long ago but i asked you whether this map idea would still be considered as a minigame or not, of course i understand it can not be compared to the other contributions but its not a "big" game either.

dont get me wrong, i dont try to get a better rating or to prove your decision wrong, i am just ranting a little bit...

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Grammar wasn't a major part of the grading. I just noted down everything that I noticed. Chances are, the grammar probably didn't lose you a single point.

I guess I understood your explanation differently to how you intended it to be understood, as I did consider your explanation to be somewhat of a minigame. I guess explanations don't work for this sort of stuff. Sorry.

kaboo

Reaction score
i just noticed this line in my result
* The secret item is an interesting addition, though it seems to be the only way of winning.
to clarify: thats what was the game meant to be about :p , finding the item and then winning :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.