Minimap Limitations

wingdnosring

Reaction score
I'm working on a game that allows players to vote for the type of map they want to play. The voting and whatnot works fine, its just the minimap. When I use "set camera bounds" the minimap doesn't get scaled to the proper size. I searched the forums for quite a while and found lots of threads about this, but none of the posters got an answer. This is done several times in a game called pyramid escape. I'd open the map and look at it, but it's not on my computer anymore. I remember opening it up and realizing that he messed around with the minimap to get the desired effect, but now its gone and I don't remember HOW the creator did it. The idea is that every time somebody plays they can only see the part of the map they're playing on. Disabling black mask is not what I want, I want the bounds to be changed when an area is voted.

On my way to bed. Please post any suggestions. I'll check this post in the morning.

Code:
Untitled Trigger 001
    Events
        Player - Player 1 (Red) skips a cinematic sequence
        * [i]replace this with vote event or anything up to your liking[/i]
    Conditions
    Actions
        Camera - Set the camera bounds for Player 1 (Red) to Region [i]your desired region in map[/i] <gen>

this work just fine .. and the minimap resized to the bounded area.... what trig u r using btw ??...

Ended up getting up again to do some studying for a math exam tomorrow :S. This is my trigger:

Map Vote Counting
Code:
Events
        Time - Elapsed game time is 60.00 seconds
    Conditions
    Actions
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                MapSettingInts[1] Greater than MapSettingInts[2]
                MapSettingInts[1] Greater than MapSettingInts[3]
            Then - Actions
                Set MapChoiceBooleans[1] = True
                Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Camera - Set the camera bounds for (Picked player) to Swamp <gen>)
            Else - Actions

I want the minimap in the bottom corner of the screen to only show this area. I don't just want to hide the rest of the map by creating a visibility modifier.

Strange .... i've made trig similiar to you

Code:
Vote Calc
    Events
        Time - Elapsed game time is 10.00 seconds
    Conditions
    Actions
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                vote_count[1] Greater than vote_count[2]
                vote_count[1] Greater than vote_count[3]
            Then - Actions
                Set MapChoiceBooleans[1] = True
                Set vote_force = (All players)
                Player Group - Pick every player in vote_force and do (Actions)
                    Loop - Actions
                        Camera - Set the camera bounds for (Picked player) to swamp <gen>
                    *[i]i'm using "do multiple actions" in picking player, but i've tried both and it works[/i]
                Custom script:   call DestroyForce (udg_vote_force)
            Else - Actions
                Do nothing

And i'm using this trig to add vote_count

Code:
Vote Casts
    Events
        Player - Player 1 (Red) skips a cinematic sequence
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set vote_count[1] = (vote_count[1] + 1)

wait wait .... i've miss understood your prob .... let me check for a while

-- edit

i've been checked pyramid escape ....

and you know ... the mapper ( there are 2 names in epicwar and i don't know which one so i use "mapper" instead of their respective name ) use a picture to cover the minimap ... yes A picture ... so the minimap didn't show the current place "map" like you've always wanted ..... sorry bout that

about how to change minimap into some pic .... i don't know a thing for this ... sorry ..... i think it was a texture ... maybe .....

problem not solved ... but hey you got something in return ... dont you ??...

I know how to put a picture on the minimap (there are a few tutorials on this site), but I don't know how you can change the picture several times through out the game.

> how you can change the picture several times through out the game.
Uh that's impossible, the picture is only initialized once. No, pyramid escape doesn't do it either.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.