Need help making Abilities for Hero map.

McLovin

Reaction score
Hi!

At an early stage of my map most of the Abilities where more or less the same as the original ones. Now I'd like to make it a little more custom, but unfortunately I'm not very experienced. I might add Abilities to this thread later on, when there's something new coming up (so I don't need to make a new thread for every Ability issue).

Feel free to give me some advice on how to create the Abilities in this thread. :)

----------
Abilities

1) +Armor -Dmg aoe. A spell that increases the armor of all nearby friendly units but at the same time lowers their attack dmg for about 20 seconds.

2) Invul/Slow. An Ability that, when used on an enemy, makes the caster invul and slows the target and also lowers the targets magic resistance. The caster should also follow the target automatically and the player (casting unit, not target) should not be able to control his unit for the duration of the spell (5 seconds).

3) creep explosion. All creeps controlled by the casting player (basically all his units except his hero) explode and all enemy units near them take a certain amount of damage.

----------

Hope you guys can help me out here, as I'm pretty unexperienced when it comes to Abilities. Tell me if you need more information about the Abilities.

Regards!

McLovin

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
1) Dummy spell detected by a trigger which spawns a dummy unit. The dummy unit casts the spell used by the scroll of protection, followed by roar with a negative damage bonus.

2) Anti-magic shell with a negative spell resistance? Detect the cast, and have a dummy unit cast slow on the target. Give the caster divine shield, order him to cast it, and remove it.

Order the caster to right-click the target unit.

Set the unit's custom value to (the player number of its owner * 10) + 5. If the unit is owned by player 10, set the custom value to 135. Turn on a periodic trigger running every second, and decrement the custom value of every caster in the unit group. When the custom value of a caster reaches a multiple of 10 (i.e. custom value % 10 == 0), give the caster back to the player who's number is the custom value divided by 10. If the custom value divided by 10 is 13, give the unit to player 10.

I'm sorry thats a bit complex, but I needed to store two values in one variable to keep it MUI, and that gets kinda ugly when the variable is an integer.

3) Pseudo Code:
Code:
Events:
   A unit starts the effects of an ability
Conditions:
   Ability being cast equal to <Your ability>
Actions:
   General - Set TempUnitGroup equal to all units owned by (Owner of Unit(Casting Unit))
   Unit Group - Pick each unit in TempUnitGroup and do actions
       loop -
           General - Set TempPoint equal to Location of Unit(Picked Unit)
           General - Set TempUnitGroup2 equal to all units matching ((Owner of Unit(Matching Unit) is not an Ally of (Owner of Unit(Casting unit)) and (Unit is  within <Range> of TempPoint)
           Unit Group - Pick each unit in TempUnitGroup2 and do actions
               loop -
                   Unit - Damage unit for <Damage>
           General - Custom Script - call RemoveLocation(udg_TempPoint)
           General - Custom Script - call DestroyGroup(udg_TempUnitGroup2)
   General - Custom Script - call DestroyGroup(udg_TempUnitGroup)

:) Good luck. Post if you need any help.

McLovin

Reaction score
First of all thank you for your quick response! =)

If you don't mind, I'd like to go over your suggestions a little more detailed, one by one. Let's start with the first one:

By dummy spell I guess you just mean a spell with no effect of it's own that starts the trigger with the actual effects, right? What exactly is the dummy unit used for and can you give me an example of what it would look like?

As you might see, this is unexplored territory for me. ;-)

UnknowVector

Reaction score
I added a bit to my method for ability 2, it took me a while to come up with an MUI way to do that, and its not exactly pretty.

>By dummy spell I guess you just mean a spell with no effect of it's own that starts the trigger with the actual effects, right?

Right.

>What exactly is the dummy unit used for and can you give me an example of what it would look like?

The dummy unit does the casting for the spell. The dummy unit should have no model, and the locust and invulnerability abilities. Create it next to the caster, and order it to cast the scroll of protection and roar abilities. Then remove it.

Which player owns the dummy unit is up to you. If the dummy can kill units, and you want those kills to go to the original caster, the dummy needs to be owned by the owner of the original caster. However, that will mess up the units created total on the after game scoreboard.

UnknowVector

Reaction score
Channel is the traditional base for dummy abilities, because you can change its order ID and give multiple channel-based dummy spells to the same unit.

What you use for a dummy unit doesn't matter at all. Also remember to remove its attack.

McLovin

Reaction score
I can't seem to get rid of the model .. or is there some kind of "blank" model to pick?

McLovin

Reaction score
Now I got the next problem. =/

I made a dummy based on channel and gave it to one of my heroes. The hero is able to learn the ability but as I did so nothing appeared where the ability icon is supposed to be. The hero got no other abilities and I picked the right button position.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.