Need help with customizing units image.

U

Unregistered

I want to know how to customize a units image. I've seen it done it a couple games. The heroe in the game were edited in some way. I saw one with a grim reaper weapon. And this other heroe was an alycot who floats on a huntress gaivalin and holds fire in his hands. Can this be done? Oh. And also. You know in TD's where the untis spawn, how do you do that?

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
what you're referring to is called "skinning". If you have a look in the FAQ, there are a number of links to tutorials on skinning, so hopefully they can provide all the help you need on how to do it. If still stuck, then feel free to post back here.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
oops i just read your question a bit closer and I think you might be referring to a slightly different thing perhaps.

What you're seeing is probably people just attaching graphics to units using the "special effects" actions (have a browse through them). The grim reaper weapon is a graphic that you can download from the campaign creations website, and you can also find a whole bunch of other graphics there. Here's the link:

http://www.campaigncreations.org/warcraft/freebies/units-attachments.shtml

So in this case you need to create a special effect on a unit (the action is called pretty much that), and in doing this you need to specify attachment points. Here is the list of all the possible attachment points you can use:

overhead (floats over the unit's head, but doesn't sway with the head as it animates)
head (sways with the unit's animation)
chest
origin (usually at the base of a unit's feet)
left hand
right hand
left foot
right foot
weapon (for heroes)
sprite (for buildings)
medium (for buildings)
large (for buildings)

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
to spawn units in a TD is the same as in any other map, just use the "unit - create unit" action. There are actually 2 actions that create units, one that creates them facing a point and one that creates them facing an angle, it doesn't really matter which one you use.

U

Unregistered

Could someone please tell me how to create custom units that start out with attachments like that? I know one game where you can build a Dreadlord at the Altar and he has a big staff in his hand automatically.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
Try this:

event:
[unit enters region]
a unit enters <playable map area>

condition:
[unit-type comparision]
unit-type of (entering unit) equal to (dreadlord)

action:
[special effect - attach special effect on unit]
special effect - attach <staff.mdx> to <right hand> of (entering unit)

U

Unregistered

Well i saved all those weapons in a new folder. so how do i then apply them to a unit?

Bomook

Reaction score
go to import manager, then import the models.

when you use the special effect trigger now, you will be able to access them.

T

Tieme

Removing weapons

Is there a way to remove a weapon a unit holds using this same trigger? I mean one that was not added with special effect.

T

TheJuica

That website you gave has some nifty items on it.

Just curious, where would one save these files if they were to use them through World Editor?

T

TheJuica

Oh, nevermind, I guess I just import them from a folder I put them in.

: )

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.