Project Orbitos

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
Thats a seriously interesting idea. But that will mean a game cache. At first I was like...."NO YOU CAN't have 3 ships...how many times..." Then I realised what you were saying....

1 ship that can transform into another one. I like the idea...I dunno how we're going to implement that since we're already chocablock with abilites. But we'll look into it. Might be under the misc keyboard node. I dunno. We'll see.

Lol at the story. :D

edit: @Master (& Lunar): Ok. I've made a decision. The Abilities that we create will be in spellbooks. I've seen what Master has done with it and I think that works the best way. SO....in answer to your question Master, Here's how the keyboard access works and the order in which I'd like things on the game UI: (Let me know if any of these keys conflict with anything else (i.e. build or move or something))

Icon co-ordinates: 1,1 Name: Basic weps (Shortcut Key z)
2,1 Long Range Weps (x)
3,1 Defense (c)
1,2 Mobility (v)
2,2 Thrust (b)
3,2 Misc (AOE and others) (n)

I dont think this will be a problem as I'm not intending on having any of the ships having an upgrade / research icon. Instead when we need to upgrade the ships we'll use items and add the abilites to each spellbook or activate them or something.

Bases should have a Build ability. And maybe the Base is the only place where you can upgrade the abilities. The ship only carries them.

Basic Weps SpellBook Order:
Spell book name, Bullet (z), Rocket (x), Missile (c),
Gatling Gun (V) Homing Bullet (B), Rocket Salvo (n), Missile Salvo (m),
Blank, blank, blank, blank

...more to be added soon...

Edit2: moved the spaces of the above. And I will have a unit model and moon test map for you guys soon. Lol I missed you (below V )by 1 minute, :rolleyes: I had to go out again. Nevermind we'll catch up later.

master maste

Reaction score
chovynz I am on msn and so is lunarios.

also fixed my problem with the icon coordinates.
but ended up with more problems lol.

chovynz

Reaction score

Funny how you two came up with the same idea.

Here's my thoughts on the terrain. Interesting. But needs work. (I don't actualy know why your working on the terrain...)

If we're going to have the standard view and / or 3rd person view as well...we're going to need something different than Abyss tiles. If we want to be able to see stars we're going to have to make the ground invisible, not black. ... Unless....we make the normal cliff height the highest it can go, then drop that...yeah that might work.

Ok, Thanks for the terrain Lunar. I'll play around with it see if we can get it to work properly.

Lunarios

Reaction score
Hmmmm..The new terrain is teh pwn.

Should I begin basic work, such as outfitting the ships with cruise mode, and making them more realistic, as well as making the classes?

On another note, should ships have an attack, and should it be used as a targetting thing? Without attack thats an extra slot for a spellbook and such.

chovynz

Reaction score
[del]If we remove attack, the ships wont be able to use abilities (AFAIK).[/del] Not true. I found out after some more testing. You can still use other abilities after removing the attack ability. Might be useful for creating your own spellbooks or making more more for abilities.

Ship movement needs working on (ill do that). I want it to slide and I'll put on some tilting (Roll and pitch) on as well. The sliding will greatly make it feel better and it wont be so sharp when you click...over there...and the ship suddenly stops, turns and goes towards the place.

What you could do is make some defense. I'll be posting more on the shields soon. Check the sheild specs.

Lunarios

Reaction score
Okay, so I'll install shields into this map.

I propose this scheldule:

Ecton: Installs Shields and creates initial units.
Master Maste: Installs Weaponry and revises units.
Chovynz: Revises the above content for leaks and such, finalizes units, and links up shields and weaponry to spellbooks.

Does this sound good for the intial stage?

Second, has anything been done to the map I'm playing with now that I could take into consideration?

chovynz

Reaction score
Well the bases arent finished yet and they might have some kinda of attack. I haven't decided if they should have a shield, but it makes sense for them to be able to have shields.

The turrets on the moon will be like a ship (able to attack and have shields) so take that into consideration as well.

Just really check the shields specs for an idea of what I'm looking for. Feel free to make something (in looks) that suits the weapons that its defending against. (see post 1 for ideas). Haven't really thought on much about the defensive looks as I was concentrating on what they do.

Cool. We'll be testing the map soon!

Progress Update: Everything is rounded (ish)
Terrain: 60%
Units: 80%
Bases: 20%
Weapons: 15%
Sheilds: 0%

Taken awhile to get to where we are, but I'm excited by the possibilities of this map!

chovynz

Reaction score
Sorry for double post. This is just a note to self kinda post so I can get things out of my head. This is even more important now that Christmas is here lol.

Initial version - Pre Alpha
[del]1) use Hero revive not create 1 unit of same that died[/del]
[del]2) make bases destroyable (remove doodads on death - no death animation)[/del]
[del]3) change COP name to Base[/del]

4) Add attack, load,, build and shield capabilities to base
[del]4b) Find suitable model for base? or[/del] leave as doodad base?
[del]5) Sort out with Master stars issue (his or mine?)[/del]
[del]6) Moon rotation faster? or no rotation?[/del]

7) Random player spawns at bases
[del]8) hero dies - how to choose the next unit? base - build ship or build a turret on moon?[/del]
[del]9) once a unit is created (or revived) disable building other units.[/del]
10) see if standard Blizzard spells and abilities can be used as any of the weapons.
11) add nebulae to distance...triggers special effect at position?
12)

Lunarios

Reaction score
Evidently I was being a moron last night, because I cannot install sheilds without the weaponry already intstalled.

chovynz

Reaction score
You should be able to. They are separate things and triggers. They actually have nothing to do with each other apart from countering specific weapons. IM me if you want some clarity.

Edit:

Ok, skip what i said about making things from scratch with no effects. That way isnt working very well and it's too controlled for you guys. Instead what I want you to do when making something is like this...go random. Go crazy. Do whatever you want. Post be here and we'll all get excited about it!

Don't worry about the things being MUI or leak free, we'll fix those up later. I want coolness! I want things that will make me cringe (from fear of being hit by them). I want to see what you guys can come up with! Go for it! Go Crazy!

The only thing I want you to remember is that with 12 players there will be alot of projectiles on screen, so im thinking that each ability needs to have a different look (except maybe things like bullet and homing bullet.)

Lunarios

Reaction score
Hmmm...Heres how I was thinking of doing the block for weapon types.

Test
Events
Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
Conditions
Or - Any (Conditions) are true
Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to Ion Beam
(Ability being cast) Equal to Ion Blast
(Ability being cast) Equal to Ion Ray
Actions
If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
If - Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to Ion Beam
Then - Actions
Unit - Set life of (Target unit of ability being cast) to ((Life of (Target unit of ability being cast)) + 100.00)
Else - Actions
Do nothing

This evidently has some problems.

A. It might be tottaly useless if the projectile hasn't struck the unit.

Any way to make a more accurate shield trigger?

chovynz

Reaction score
Ok. Two things about shields.

First is passive defense. Thats like a normal shield. It takes damage so that your hull is protected. Use mana for that.

Second is active defense. Thats like tiny missiles that shoot out to destroy an incoming missile. This uses triggers a bit like what you've written up there.

Let's start with just making some cool shields first then move onto the more complicated active defense later.

Good start! And I think you might want to use attacks a unit instead.

Lunarios

Reaction score
Hmmmm...

I'm pretty sure you only want shields that work with one type of attack, say Ion. I have no idea how to do this, since the shield blocks all types of damage.

Two, I'm pretty sure manashield doesn't work against spells.

Three, there is a spell that reduces spell damage, however you cannot specify the things you want blocked.

chovynz

Reaction score
Ok. lol.

Forget about making the shields work for the moment and make a "shield" that looks like a shielding ability, that looks cool and like it would be used against a certain weapon.

For example, what do you think a shield that works against bullets would look like? Or a shield against Ions? Or a shield against acid?

I'd make some shields orange, some blue, some green all depending on what they are used for. What effects would you use for one that absorbs the kinetic energy of a projectile? What would you use for one that reflects a laser into space?

What does each shield look like to you when you say "blah" type of shield? That's what im asking you to make. :)

chovynz

Reaction score
Ok. Double post time.
I got sick of the filesize limit of TH so I've got an online file sharing website, so that we can link our maps to here.

You can find the latest maps of Project Orbitos here http://www.box.net/public/jr3pfni8gt#main Just click or copy and paste and you'll be able to Download them. AFAIK there's no need to register to download the files. Remember that this is a work in progress. :)

Note that I've also updated some posts above. I'll be posting screen shots soon of the terrain for Project: Orbitos. !!! yay !!!

Is there anyone skilled in triggering or JASS who would like to help with this project? We're wanting more help because of the amount of things to do. :D Also would more people like to test the map and give comments? Remember that this is a work in progress. :)

@ Master & Lunar / Ecton: OMG I'm so stupid! I just though of a way around the whole moon issue problems..
  • moon is doodad,
  • is walkable, so can place our current turrets on it to be...tankish
  • is at max size. Cant make the moon bigger as a doodad.

• moon is unit
  • is NOT walkable, so our current turrets are useless
  • can be scaled to a huge size

Solution to both problems (i.e how can we get the turrets to be not removable from the moon? and to be able to go on the moon?):
  • make the turrets flying satellites instead of "turrets"
  • make the moon a unit and locust.

But then we get a problem. How do we lower the moon unit into the ground? AFAIK ingame they wont appear like that - they'll revert to default ground level. Thats why i chose the doodad from the begining, so that we can lower the moon and not have it so...intrusive.

hmmm. Another thing, can you guys keep your eyes peeled for a larger round model? I'm finding this moon size too small.

chovynz

Reaction score
My Apologees to anyone who downloaded the new Project Orbitos map. We had an issue with the sound that has been fixed.

You can find the latest maps of Project Orbitos here http://www.box.net/public/jr3pfni8gt#main Just click or copy and paste and you'll be able to Download them. Look for POTerrain#7.w3x

Have a test and feedback with comments! We need more testers with feedback!

master maste

Reaction score
Thanks for fixing that sound, was really terrible as you heard.

Cant wait to get the weapons and sheilds in, but I just need to get one trigger working :confused: then all the rest of the weapons will be working.

(stupid dummy unit)(stupid no missile art)

edit: for the sheilds couldn't you just make a the sheild an aura (so that it says at the bottom of hero abilitys etc that theres a sheild) then make a trigger saying, if that aura is working then do x damage or no damage etc. (the aura is selectable, not on all of the time)

chovynz

Reaction score
edit: for the sheilds couldn't you just make a the sheild an aura (so that it says at the bottom of hero abilitys etc that theres a sheild) then make a trigger saying, if that aura is working then do x damage or no damage etc. (the aura is selectable, not on all of the time)

Yup. Aura or wisp explosion effect or mana burn or bloodlust or whatever else lunarios sees fit to use. I'm just waiting for him to come up with something. hint hint nudge nudge. :)

Lunarios

Reaction score
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! WHO DARES DISTURB MY WINTER HIBERNATION?

Come up with...

Shield: There are 3 types of shields in my mind. Weapon Specific, shields that use triggers to shield from a specific weapon or a group of weapon. Than there are Weaponry Basic, which block all weaponry to a limit, and are passive. Finally there is a combination, a non-passive everything shield. To do the first type of shield, I kinda need the weaponry.

A huge problem I've encountered is of course the triggers. I'ma do a test ASA I have the map with the weaponry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.