Project Orbitos

Come up with...

Shield: There are 3 types of shields in my mind. Weapon Specific, shields that use triggers to shield from a specific weapon or a group of weapon. Than there are Weaponry Basic, which block all weaponry to a limit, and are passive. Finally there is a combination, a non-passive everything shield. To do the first type of shield, I kinda need the weaponry.

A huge problem I've encountered is of course the triggers. I'ma do a test ASA I have the map with the weaponry.

lol/\. You posting an "Idea" wasn't exactly what I had in mind in my last post. Can you post a map of the shields you've done? The 'ideas' are already real on my first post, 113rd post and some others. Just make some abilities that look like shields but don't actually do anything trigger wise yet. Might like to re read the entire thread to find posts about shields. :rolleyes:

Speaking of posting, you can download the newest terrain map from my link http://www.box.net/public/jr3pfni8gt#main - called 'POTerrain#7.w3x'.

[del]And speaking of downloading I'd like to add you two to my Box > WC3 folder so that you can upload files for yourselves. Did you get my invite?[/del] <<<<ignore that. I can't add you guys unless i upgrade to a premium account.

Woot! 9 pages!

Ahhhh, yon should have said so.

I've already got it planned out as you said, just not in map form. I've shown you the trigger text and such. I've only made some slight mods to that. Otherwise I've got my work cut out for me, as soon as I have the weaponry. I'll explain it here, and If you push it, I'll make a small demo map.

Basic Everything Shield: Using the ability "Spell Damage Reduction". Very Simple

Shield Using Mana to Block a Specific Thing: Uses original trigger text, expect for the trigger to work the unit needs to have a certain amount of mana.

Shield Without Mana, but needing activation: The above text without the mana reqs.

I don't understand your post.

I could make what I'm asking you to do, in half an hour for 7+ shields. It's not that difficult a request.

I'll put this as plain as I can. I dont like your shield idea or the way the trigger that you posted works. The shield ideas have already been made and I'm happy with them. You're changing the way the game works if you change the shields.

Please. Just make some shield abilities that don't actually do anything other than look cool, put them into a map so we can see what they look like, and post it here.

That could be arranged... :D Weapons and shields are nowhere near ready for screenies, but terrain is halfwayish.

@Master & Lunarios: Master - Check this thread out for some ideas on how to make the weapons move. Also this will be useful for your Thrust ability Lunarios

Posts updated : 106 - my TO DO thinking out loud in list format.
The Resources post

:) Happy New Years! :)

to everyone (especially those working on Project Orbitos)
have a happy new year everyone.

Happy New yeas! :D

:( Hoi oi... I really dont like triggering compared to terraining... brain exploding. Need to go play some games or something.

I've been playing around with GUI channeling spells - figuring things out. I have a working Bullet trigger here, but the problem is that it is not muiable. So I question why I'm bothering to do all this work when i know im just gonna have to convert it to Jass later anyway. And since Master is doing the weps it's kinda pointless for me to do it as well (apart from extending my own knowledge of whats happening.)

Maths not being my strong point, I feel like im wasting alot of time getting things to work properly. I'm glad i've done all this work cuz my knowledge of the triggers is better, but seriously ... my head hurts. And I don't feel like I've got much worthwhile done.

Anyways. back to the triggering / Brain melting pot.
Edit: No. Actually I'm going to create some screenies.

Sorry, been away for a couple of days.

Happy new year to you guys too.

My brain has exploded too Chovy o_O I'd post what I'm working on expect it would put us on page 11.

Okay, so one type of shield you want is a breaking-point type.

As in, either your armor can survive the impact or it can;t.

I'm pretty sure that do this each weapon and shield would have to have a number. For example, if you have a level 5 shield and the other guy has a level 7 weapon your toast. If the guy has a level 5 weapon your okay, and if he has a level 4 weapon you can go like "Pfffft".

This is right right?

Reply to Lunarios: Yeah. That's the sort of the principal of the most basic type. The shields are supposed to have a regen, but if someone is spamming bullets at a target, they can take their shield down slowly. Getting hit by a Mass driver will (obviously) give lots more damage to the shields.

Once the shields fail then your ships hull starts taking damage, and once that is gone (which doesn't take long) your dead.

Your kinda right about the levels, but even a level 1 bullet will damage a shield. Albeit not much. A level 7 shield won't stop taking damage, it just has a faster regen and give more shield energy than a level 3 shield. So yeah you pretty much can go "phhht."

Also, if you have a shield against acid, but not against projectiles your hull will take a direct hit. But these triggers for detecting that impact, don't actually have anything to do with the shields (other than detecting if the target HAS shields.) The shields can be made as abilities that just are. They don't have any special triggers, they just are dummy abilities with a cool effect around the ship.

Note: Armor only applies to Hull. So we can use armour upgrades for hull but not much i think. Armor does not equal shields. Shields are energy. Armor is physical. This is why I was thinking of using mana for the shields - See below.

Different Topic: By the way, I'm wanting it so your shields regen, but your hull doesn't. The first and most easiest way I thought of using hull integrity and shield energy is hp and mana respectivly. There are other ways to show these two and im open to suggestions (i.e custom gold and wood icons or a toggleable HUD using message text or a mix of ideas. Only condition is it must be useable and if we use anything like a HUD you can turn it off if you want.)

i.e
Code:
                                                                 [SIZE="1"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Hull L3[/COLOR] 100% (500)[/SIZE]
                                                               [SIZE="1"][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Shields L7[/COLOR] 100% (2300)[/SIZE]
Code:
                                                                 [SIZE="1"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Hull L3[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkOrange"] 53% (267)[/COLOR][/SIZE]
                                                               [SIZE="1"][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Shields L7[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"] 10% (230)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Sorry for the signature long post, but I want you to understand how shields work. There's nothing special about them. The player just carries them or doesn't.

Update: Screenshots! We have life! Base Screenshots.

Base 1______________Base 2______________Base 3______________Base 4______________Base 5

Size Comparisons

Hows this for a shield formula:

Bullet Level x 10/Shield Level = Mana subtracted

Well...thats ok for bullets, but what happens when you have a level 1 ion cannon that does 300 damage? I don't really want to base damage on bullet level or shield level because there's too many variations.

The simplest way of doing the weapon / shield this is: spell damage and mana amount. Both are easy to code, or trigger. If we start getting into formulas it just adds a new way (and more complicated way IMHO) of doing it.

Done any shields yet that do nothing, except look cool? Master and I have been nutting out the weps and we have a working MUI Bullet Projectile (it explodes when it hits an enemy or if it misses it carries on to the targeted point and dissappears without a sound)

We're waiting on you to make at least one shield so we can test it with the bullet.

Seems like fun, would be a ownage game if you made it out of WC3, lol.

Some sort of trap-laying weapon (not just mines, mines are boring, I dunno, deployable drones? Shield drones?) would be fun :p

Seems like fun, would be a ownage game if you made it out of WC3, lol.

Some sort of trap-laying weapon (not just mines, mines are boring, I dunno, deployable drones? Shield drones?) would be fun :p

Well...we already have a plan for that. Since it's a space game...tractor beam mine. :)

Thanks for posting:D it is great to see someone else post. Post more!

Edit: Great News!!! We now have two working MUIable and leak free abilities!!! Bullet, and Rocket! Lunar! Get onto that shield! We're taking off now!

Yay we have done some excellent progress that means we can easily make all of the non homing weapons work. . . :)

Can't wait to see this all work chovy, sorry I won't be here for the next week since I'm on holiday. (maybe lunarios will post before I get back and surprise me :p )

This post was also just a sad excuse to bump Project Orbitos to the top of the members projects list, and to raise my amount of posts :p
But dont get me wrong there is still substance to it :)

cya all in 7 days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I would like to see it again like Ghan had it the first time with pagination though - without the pagination that view will not work but with pagination it just might...
  • The Helper The Helper:
    This drink recipe I have had more than a few times back in the day! Mind Eraser https://www.thehelper.net/threads/cocktail-mind-eraser.194720/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.