Really Build A Village

takethat

Reaction score
There are alot of builder map, stronghold builder, empire builder, and especially village builder, many many version of village builder.

but they are mostly have the same concept:
Find a unrealistic preloaded castle, build a main building, and some houses which give gold, and get dozens barracks, put way point, sit back, and start "clicking"

most village builder are empire building + mass barracks... nothing to do with village...

so, whats the different with my map?
Firstly, you got 4 man and woman...

Build a log house and altar, start gathering lumber and praying to watever(research tech in altar)

find seedland to provide food, or send hunters to hunt foor foods.

huts are needed to form a small settlement and elect an elder.

build well to give clear water and fire pit to train warrior.

Watch towers erected to give a widen guarding area.(require loaded)

Some woman become witches, and gather to find new tricks(research in witch lodge)

Eventually gain the knowledge of farming, more farmland means more foods, more tribesman can be substain.(normally give up on hunting)

As the society grows, giant monument built to declare the owning of lands.(some players may want to have war)

After archeving the above, the society will finally emerge from tribes to village... ...(now only village)

If this is not enought differences, there are NO MASS CLICKING.

So how you build army? training mans to become warriors...

How to get more Man? Grow up from boys

How to get more boys? The same way human race multiply... ...

Untill now, this is a solo project, first time put in member's project, any comment is welcome.

Terrain: 6players terrain in NR version, 8 players terrain in raider version
Trigger: tribes 100% village 100% city 100% imperial city 95%
Unit : tribes 100% village 100% city 98% imperial city 80%
Barbarian: 0%

Newest update: 1 May 2008
HTML:
http://www.epicwar.com/maps/51573/
Now stone wall and fortify wall will block sight.
Wizard's 4 element become fire, earth, air, and water.
3 type of building require stone, they are, stone wall, fortify wall, and obelisk.

Evoroth

Reaction score
Sounds nice. If there will be enough fun things to do. I have played a just-a-bit-similar map where you spend ages on farming and smithing and praying and hunting rabbits to get good materials, weapons and skill points... only to find out that there weren't any very interesting things to do with it. I won't forgive that game for the hours it took from me.

However, take a look at your post and see if there's something you have written twice.

takethat

Reaction score
Few ingame screenshots,

Hunting
3Hunterandadear.jpg

Tribesman near fire pit
FirePitDance.jpg

3 warriors and elder on a tower
ElderOnTower.jpg

Farmland
Farmland.jpg

Charge
War1.jpg

Few horse
Mounted.jpg

How you define interesting?

Randor244

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I think the funniest part will be the satisfaction you feel when you have developed a little village into a great city. However, what should you do then? I've got an idea:

The enemy will do exactly the same thing. So at the end of the game there will be one great city versus another great city.
With that I mean you should make a special AI just for that.

Develop that idea, and the map will be great!

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
The atached weapons is a really nice detail :p.

Idea: villagers should need tools to do different things (hammer for building houses) (pickaxe for mining)(Plow for farming) and they should make it them self or buy it from a wandering shop.

Beside that i think that there should be different ages (Stone age, bronze age, gold age, something like that you need to research and that decides what you have the tecnology to build.

TDN

Reaction score
Beside that i think that there should be different ages (Stone age, bronze age, gold age, something like that you need to research and that decides what you have the tecnology to build.

You don't necessarily have to use "ages", merely upgrades and different researches. Takethat already seems to have different "era's" available: tribes, village, city, imperial city.

It may be nice to be able to choose two different tech branches ie:

Magical - your civilization is able to create and build more advanced magical equipment, buildings, and units.
Technology - your civilization focuses less on magic, but is able to use more powerful and devastating technology later on.

Also, choose how far you want to be able to upgrade. You could even make it so that you eventually get to a "semi-modern" era, and use the human rifleman model etc.

For testing purposes, please add AI if you can.

um... where's the download link?

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
I like the idea, and better yet I like that you have started working on the units and gameplay before the terraining. It is definately a smart move to get the important things out the way first.

If I could criticise one thing so far it would only be that the crops are battle standards lol..

don't lose interest in this project, its shaping up to be a fresh take on city evolving :)

takethat

Reaction score
The magical and technological civilazation is a good idea.

crops are shimmering fruits or watever the name it is, the flat is model for the farmland. If i put no model for the farmland, it cant be build.

However the main problem i concerning is, should i let it end at village stage or finish it.

In the original design, builders will win the game by first finish construct the wonder, raiders win by able to have archeve a number of barbarian.(Raiders cant have farmland. Only way to get food is by hunting or raid builder's villages)

Food(gold) is obtain by killing seed, crop, or dear

I think it will be better to try it out,
HTML:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/7512ed8c-e935-4f0c-a9b5-f0e2541ac9f2/ReallyBuildAVillage

TDN

Reaction score
Hmm.. I think if you're going to have multiple civilizations, you should rather have civilization "branches" rather than choosing your civ. at the beginning. Go ahead and finish the village stage; you can always add extra upgrades and "era's" or "ages" later, once you've got the map working as you want it.

There would be two different strategies to win: build an empire, or a rush tactic.

Building an empire means you research new technologies sooner, so if someone "rushes" you, then you have a chance to beat them - due to towers & higher level fighters. Of course, you may still lose, if the person rushing you does so with significant numbers.

Or perhaps a mix of the two strategies: Build a decent settlement, and upgrade until you basically reach the second age THEN build an army and rush, using more powerful fighters.

Each stage/age should have different means of offensive & defensive fighting. The first stage would be basically converting men into cheap fighters & building towers. Instead of archers, you would have spear throwers in this stage.

Second stage would allow you to upgrade your melee warriors (perhaps have two types ie. spear & axe weaponry) and archers (upgrade from spear throwers?) as well as basic magical units (priests / mages). Units could be given additional protection by putting them into a tower (based this off one of your screenshots) which would give them extra defense, and bonus attack (archers bonus attack dmg from towers, and mages perhaps bonus spell dmg) It would also be a nice idea to only allow the building of forage patches in this stage, to force players to go out & hunt animals in the first stage.

Third stage (call it Town stage?) more advanced stuff, like horses, ballistas, catapults, upgrade towers to contain multiple units (instead of only 1)

City stage: the ability to build wonders, which can eventually win you the game. Weaponry would still be old age (catapults etc.) but perhaps upgrades to trebuchets & crossbowmen would be nice. Up to you. Perhaps also render other methods of gathering gold ineffective & introduce gold mines in this stage.

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
I always wanted to make a map like this but ive never gotten the time, that and the fact theres so many of these maps.

Idea
Add in random events. Such as storms, earthquakes or a plague.

Vellu

Real eyes realize real lies.
Reaction score
I think this will be greater than DotA!
Nice map, yes. I'm really looking forward the release.:)

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Man, this sounds sweet. I agree with you and I always tell that to my brother when we play those maps. I can't wait for the full release of this. Nice models and attached weapons there.

TDN

Reaction score
Woah dude, I love this map. Just some improvements I'll list & buggy things I found (or at least they 'felt' buggy):

• Men doing nothing should automatically go to a Seedland farm and farm seed if it is nearby. I've seen them do this occasionally, but they should go to get seed the moment it appears.
  • Men told to chop wood should do so without running to seed farm sometimes.
  • I'm sure you could do more with the fireplace. Maybe make it so that women (and nearby inactive men) automatically go to stand by the fireplace. Possibly even mate automatically (if this gets out of control, population can be balanced by houses or something)
  • Seedfarms take a lot of space to build. Dunno if that's intentional...
  • Default 'Safe range' is 600 for a lot of buildings. It would be nice to be able to upgrade the Safe range to 800 & higher later on.
  • Hunter's lodge has night elf construction animation.
  • Perhaps cause a warning message to appear if you have low women or men count.

And those are some of the bad points - but there's loads more good points.

Add in random events. Such as storms, earthquakes or a plague.
I think these things generally interrupt gameplay too much, and are too random.

Darkhobbo

Reaction score
Nice

I like the map man its just having all those women sitting around.. it takes lots of space you should have them do something maybe even do some of the dirty work like men, you dont think they sat around and sipped tea while we worked in 1000 a.d do u?

PwNaGe2.0

Reaction score
hey ther TakeThat, I am really interested in making a village/tribe game but i'm stuk. Pls help me out and if you do thx!!

takethat

Reaction score
thx for the support, nvr tot can gain so much support :)

Code:
Men doing nothing should automatically go to a Seedland farm and farm seed if it is nearby. I've seen them do this occasionally, but they should go to get seed the moment it appears.
Men told to chop wood should do so without running to seed farm sometimes.
I'm sure you could do more with the fireplace. Maybe make it so that women (and nearby inactive men) automatically go to stand by the fireplace. Possibly even mate automatically (if this gets out of control, population can be balanced by houses or something)
Seedfarms take a lot of space to build. Dunno if that's intentional...
Default 'Safe range' is 600 for a lot of buildings. It would be nice to be able to upgrade the Safe range to 800 & higher later on.
Hunter's lodge has night elf construction animation.
Perhaps cause a warning message to appear if you have low women or men count.

About these bugs, "man" unit is base off villager, i guess thats y it no automatic attack seeds. But even farmer which base off melee unit, some times may still will standstill... ...

Man who order to chop wood will not automatic go atk seeds, i think thats most likely are kid who just grow up or man use to mate and forgot to order to chop wood.

About the firepit, its just eye candy, since later will be upgrade to training ground.

Seedland space is intentionally large, it is to force people to faster get farm since it take up alot space.

Later i will make safe range increase for improved mill, village house, house, and villa. Maybe i should give tower a 75 safe range too? for now the tactic is every ntrance and tower site build a tent.

Hunter's hall animation is model anime, since i not modeler, have no idea how to remove it.

I thinking of making a board to record numbers of variouse job, but it seems alot of work... ...

That is one major function i neglect for so long, the stone, bronze and iron resources... i got few option:
train collector to collect the resources

1 for every 30 seconds, increase the resources(collector standstill also work)
2 need to go do a spell on the quary (something like defence of isle),
3 go near the quary, the collector will pick up an item, go back near drop off point >>> increase resources,

1 Quary location random but preloaded(cant be destroy),
2 Quary need to be build on specific location (buildable on blight only, blight is preloaded)

PwNaGe2.0

Reaction score
These games are real cool and the way you designed them to be like an "actual" village game!:D I was wondering if you could help me cause I to want to make a village game or tribes one, either one so do u mind helpin me out a bit?

Kenito

I Helps Most Goodly
Reaction score
I like your concepts, this map seems to be very promising! Like Dark Deeds but with more focus on village life than on killing stuff.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.