Some ability questions part 2

Monictor

Reaction score
So I made a post earlier and most of my questions were answered or figured out, and I now have some new ones.

1. Can you change the size of special effects? For instance, would it be possible for me to change the size of the green flamestrike effect?
How do I get a trigger to be affected by a buff? Can I make say, Inner Fire, increase damage done by triggers that do physical damage by 10%?

2. Is there a way to factor normal attack damage into a trigger that does physical damage to modify it? I know you can make an integer based on hero attributes that you can then use for a trigger. But what I want to do is give a unit like a grunt an ability that does physical damage, but I want it modifiable by his normal attack damage so that damage upgrades from a mill or whatever can be factored into the resulting damage from the trigger.

3. How do I change a unit model to the Druid of the talon bird shapeshift?

4. Is there a way to make trigger AOE damage only affect enemies?

5. What ability can I use to make a universal damage shield? I think anti-magic shield is only working for magic damage.

6. What is the general method of dummy sliding?

7. Is there a GUI way to detect damage taken by a unit to be displayed as text in any way? Like critical strike or whatever.

Thanks for any assistance.

So I made a post earlier and most of my questions were answered or figured out, and I now have some new ones.

1. Can you change the size of special effects? For instance, would it be possible for me to change the size of the green flamestrike effect?
The only way would be to use a trigger to spawn a unit with that model. Scale it and give it Locust so it's unselectable.

How do I get a trigger to be affected by a buff? Can I make say, Inner Fire, increase damage done by triggers that do physical damage by 10%?
"If (Unit has buff) Then
Unit - Make (Casting Unit) damage SomeUnit for 15 damage using (Blah damage type and blah attack type)
Else
Unit - Make (Casting Unit) damage SomeUnit for 10 damage using (Blah damage type and blah attack type)"

2. Is there a way to factor normal attack damage into a trigger that does physical damage to modify it? I know you can make an integer based on hero attributes that you can then use for a trigger. But what I want to do is give a unit like a grunt an ability that does physical damage, but I want it modifiable by his normal attack damage so that damage upgrades from a mill or whatever can be factored into the resulting damage from the trigger.
No not really, unless it fires whenever the grunt attacks, then you could use the event response "Damage Taken".

3. How do I change a unit model to the Druid of the talon bird shapeshift?
Look at the original DotT shapeshit and copy its Required Animations fields to the custom unit.

4. Is there a way to make trigger AOE damage only affect enemies?
Instead of Damage Area, use "Pick every unit within 500 of SomePoint matching (Matching Unit) is an enemy of (Casting Unit) and do:
Unit - Make (Casting Unit) damage (Picked Unit) for 10 damage using (Blah damage type and blah attack type)

5. What ability can I use to make a universal damage shield? I think anti-magic shield is only working for magic damage.
None really, but you could make something like Lanaya's Refraction (if you play dota). If you don't know what it is, its basically a trigger that runs when the hero is damaged. If it has the Refraction buff, it heals the hero for (Damage Taken), basically cancelling the damage. Then you could remove (Damage Taken) from some real variable to keep track of the shield's hp

6. What is the general method of dummy sliding?
Event - Every 0.02 seconds of game time
Actions - Pick every unit of type dummy and do Move picked unit instantly to Picked unit location offset by 10.00 towards Facing of picked unit.
(yeah this leaks, but it's just a quick example)

7. Is there a GUI way to detect damage taken by a unit to be displayed as text in any way? Like critical strike or whatever.
Event - Unit takes damage (since you can't do this for any unit, you might want a second trigger that fires when a unit enters playable map area and has the action Trigger - Add event)
Actions - Create floating text blah with text (Real to string(Damage Taken))

Thanks for any assistance.
My answers are in bold.

Thanks for the reply bOb... follow up questions...

1. Where is the "Unit has buff" event or condition or whatnot? You mention this for questions 1 and 6.

7. Likewise, where is the "Unit takes damage" register?

I can't seem to find anything like this anywhere.

1. Boolean comparison

7. Specific Unit Event

Example:
Code:
Event
 Map Init
Condition
Actions
 Trigger - Add to (SomeTrigger <gen>) the event (YourUnit takes damage)

Code:
SomeTrigger
 Event
  <empty>
 Condition
 Actions
   Unit - Kill (Triggering unit)

So, whenever YourUnit takes any form of damage, it will be killed instantly. Play around with the event addition thing until you're familiarise with it. Check out Homing Missile. It uses damage taken event. Use that as reference for your own map.

Edit:
Also, if possible, try not to ask questions in a bulk. You'll have lesser response. But that's just what I think. Good job to Bob though. :)

Do ask questions in a bulk, but try to summarize them in the title.
If you ask everything in the first post, that is quite nice, no quadrillion stupid threads around.
What one should not do, is ask another question in his already existing and answered thread, unless it is very related.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I would like to see it again like Ghan had it the first time with pagination though - without the pagination that view will not work but with pagination it just might...
  • The Helper The Helper:
    This drink recipe I have had more than a few times back in the day! Mind Eraser https://www.thehelper.net/threads/cocktail-mind-eraser.194720/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.