Soul Eater

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
SoulEaterbannersmall.png

Disclaimer said:
I warn you before reading this anime guide that this manga/anime is addictive, I mean literally addictive, I read from the 1st chapter up to the new releases in like 2-3 days. (Nothing like 62 Chapters). So if you start reading and you find yourself two days later, in your room with no lights on, sleep deprived, hungry and having to go to the bathroom don't blame me. ;)
BTW the chapters are like 53 pages long on average. xD

Introduction
The story of Soul Eater revolves around students in the Death Weapon Meister Academy (Known as Shibusen), in Nevada, United States. In soul eater, Maka Albarn and her weapon partner Soul Eater are students at Shibusen along with Black Star with his weapon partner Tsubaki, and Death the Kid with his twin weapon partners Liz and Patti.
The school is run by Shinigami, Death himself, as a training facility for weapons and the human wielders of those weapons, the meisters. Maka's goal, along the other meisters, is to have their weapons defeat and absorb the souls of ninety-nine evil humans and one witch, which will dramatically increase the power of the given weapon and making them into Death Scythes, thus be capable of being used by shinigami.
Throughout the Series, the characters encounter many witches and their minions, who use their destructive arts to lure the Students into madness and insanity...

My Comments
It is one of the best series I have read in a while, and I highly suggest anyone to read the Manga. I say this, because the Anime deviates from the manga considerably after episode thirty-five. The anime was also 'finished' even though the Manga is still continuing with a new chapter every month. (However, the Openings for the Anime are awesome ^^)

Storyline - ●●●●●●●●●● 10/10
Characters - ●●●●●●●●●● 10/10
Setting - ●●●●●●●●● 9/10
Originality - ●●●●●●●●●● 10/10

Overall - ●●●●●●●●●● 10/10

Characters

300px-Vsmediossouleatermakaaruban.jpg

Maka Albarn (マカ・アルバーン)
Species: Human
Position: Meister
Weapon: Soul
Maka is Soul's meister. They live together in an apartment in Death City, though Maka seems to be the one doing most of the household chores such as cooking. Maka and Soul make an efficient team, as shown at the start of the series when they had already claimed ninety-nine evil souls. Maka is a dedicated student at DWMA, and scored highest of her class during doctor Stein's test. Her father is Shinigami's current death scythe and her mother was a very powerful scythe meister. They are currently divorced. While she adores her mother, Maka's relationship with her father is strained. She seems to hate him for constantly flirting with other women (which caused the divorce), though deep down she still loves him.

Maka is annoyed at the fact that her body has not developed yet (something which Soul tends to make fun of at times). Though she seems to have a higher IQ than Soul, Maka is prone to violent outbursts when anger gets the better of her. She usually hits Soul with a book (the so-called Maka-chop) after he does something perverted or makes fun of her. Maka may have feelings for Soul, as she seems to get jealous when Blair attempts to seduce him. Maka also stated she wants to get stronger for Soul after he got injured while protecting her.

Maka is a skilled scythe meister and fights together with Soul. When she and Soul resonate their souls she is able to use the techniques Witch-Hunt Slash and Demon-Hunt Slash (a more powerful form of Witch-Hunt Slash created by her mother). Like Doctor Stein, Maka can also use Soul Perception.

300px-Soul_Evans.jpg

Soul Evans (ソウル=イーター) AKA Soul Eater
Position: Weapon
Meister: Maka
Soul Evans is Maka's Demon Scythe partner and the titular main character alongside Maka. He is called "Soul Eater" by his friends. His human appearance and attitude is that of a teenage boy. He drives a motorcycle, which he and Maka use for transportation. Soul tries to maintain a "cool" image, and very often states how cool he and his actions are. Being a cool guy, he almost always uses the direct approach to solve problems, which fails most of the time. Soul is good friends with Black Star because of their similar personalities, yet when they try to enter combat together they encounter difficulties due to their differing soul wavelengths. Soul's way of absorbing souls is literally eating them. He sometimes becomes too driven by the idea of eating souls which leads him to bicker with Maka, but in the end they remain friends and partners. Soul may have feelings for Maka as he states he is "willing to die for his meister". He has trouble showing certain feelings, claiming that he shares Crona's fear of being close to others. Soul normally seems more easygoing and relaxed than Maka, but he often displays great wisdom and understanding of how to help those around him. As such, his peers show great respect for his judgment and opinions. He can also be somewhat aloof at times, such as when he refused to play the piano at his friends' party.

300px-Black-star1.jpg

Black ☆ Star (ブラック☆スター)
Weapon: Tsubaki
Black Star is a descendant of the Star Ninja Clan, a clan that was notorious for doing anything for money. This caused the ninja to be hated and feared in many places. Due to their actions the entire clan was exterminated by the DWMA thirteen years ago. Black Star, who was just a baby then, was taken in by Sid. Even though his parents and family were killed, Black Star bears no grudge over this. He accepts his parents' death because of the evil life they lived. The star tattoo on Black Star's right shoulder sometimes causes him trouble, as it marks him as a Star Clan ninja who are still hated and feared to this day in some villages.

In battle, Black Star uses ninja tactics. His biggest weakness is that he is a total show-off. He intends to surpass God, something which he will loudly proclaim even during fights, thereby defeating the purpose of ninja stealth. His delusion of stardom is so great that he constantly gives out autographs that nobody wants. Black Star hates it when someone gets more attention than him and will try anything to upstage others. His large ego seems to boost his soul energy though, as his soul is far larger than that of the average DWMA student.

300px-Tsubaki.png

Tsubaki Nakatsukasa (中務椿)
Meister: Black ☆ Star
Tsubaki is Black Star's Shadow Weapon partner. She is a very patient and understanding person, which is needed to put up with Black Star's constant bragging. Even though Tsubaki is sometimes disheartened by Black Star's attitude she still puts up with it because she believes in him. She is a good student and got a decent score on doctor Stein's test but was also shown to be a bit naive, thinking Stein was too nice to ask trick questions. Tsubaki has a talent for cooking and has been complimented on a few occasions by her friends.

Tsubaki comes from an established family of weapons descending from a weapon created by one of Arachne's younger sisters. Though it's usually the oldest child in the family that inherits most transformation abilities, Tsubaki's older brother Masamune is only able to transform into a katana. Instead Tsubaki is the one who has the ability to change into multiple ninja weapons like a shuriken, smoke bomb, or kusarigama.

300px-Death2.jpg

Death the Kid (デス・ザ・キッド)
Species: Shinigami
Weapon: Patti & Liz
Death the Kid is Shinigami's son and the meister of Patti and Liz. He is called Kid by his friends and family. He refers to Shinigami as 'honorable father' and seems to be named after him, as it has been shown that Shinigami's name was "Death" when he was younger. Kid suffers from obsessive-compulsive disorder, which is represented as a complete obsession about everything being symmetrical. To him, anything symmetrical is beautiful and if something is off by even the slightest measurement he will try to correct it right away. While Kid himself tries to look as symmetrical as possible, his hair causes him problems as one side is completely black while the other has three white strips going across it. Showing him anything that is too asymmetrical or mentioning his hair will send Kid into a state of massive depression, make him feel ill, or cause him to cough up blood and faint in the most extreme of cases. This behavior sometimes results in Kid being unable to fight because he is distracted by his enemy's symmetry, or by the lack of symmetry in his surroundings. When this happens it usually requires some encouragement from Patti or Liz to get Kid to focus again.

300px-Patricia_Thompson.png

Patricia "Patti" Thompson (パティー(パトリシア)・トンプソン)
Meister: Death the Kid

Patti is one half of Death the Kid's Demon Twin Guns. She is the younger of the two sisters and is more naïve than her cynical sibling. She has a larger bust size than her sister and mostly speaks in a sing-song voice. Patti acts and speaks like a little kid, saying "hullo" and "sowwy", like a child would say "hello" and "sorry". She is not very smart and is easily amused. During most of her scenes she is either laughing or looking around in amazement (even if she is in a life or death situation). Patti is so naïve that she thinks everything is all fun and games. An example of this can be seen when she was supposed to take a test but instead colored all over her test papers and then folded them into an origami giraffe, only to break its neck soon after. On the few occasions where she does lose her temper, her childlike persona is replaced by a seemingly psychotic rage. This diametrically opposed personality also comes out when she is asked to assert herself, and the quick switch back to her normal, happy-go-lucky self is quite creepy.

Unlike her sister, Patti enjoys the drama brought on by Kid's perfectionist attitude, even sometimes being the cause of it, though she does cheer him up when he gets down on himself about it. Both Thompson sisters wear cowgirl outfits (tight sleeveless shirt and cowboy hats) but Patti wears puffy shorts. They used to live on the streets of Brooklyn before being found by Kid. Both Patti and Liz admire Kid's dignified soul, due to the fact that they are from the streets.

300px-Elizabeth_Thompson.png

Elizabeth "Liz" Thompson (リズ(エリザベス)・トンプソン)
Meister: Death the Kid
Liz is the other half of Death the Kid's Demon Twin Guns. She is the older and more mature of the two sisters, but she is also rather cynical and jaded. Liz has a smaller bust size than her younger sister, something which annoys her to no end. While Patti is very child-like, Liz behaves more like a teenage girl, worrying about things like make-up and shopping. Liz is a bit of a coward, though she will usually do as she's told even when she is afraid. Unlike Patti, Liz finds the drama brought on by Kid's perfectionist attitude annoying. Though she is the smarter of the two sisters, Liz still does not like studying very much, instead preferring to paint her nails or trim her eyebrows.

Both Thompson sisters wear cowgirl outfits (tight sleeveless shirt and cowboy hats) but Liz wears long jeans. Liz and her sister used to live on the streets of Brooklyn before being found by Kid. Both Patti and Liz tried to rob Kid when they saw him, but were surprised when Kid came to save them from a group of thugs. Both Liz and Patti admire Kid's dignified soul due to the fact that they are from the streets.

Openings
(Awesome Music)
Opening 1 - ⌠Resonance⌡
[YOUTUBE]WMK_xzkYM8s[/YOUTUBE]

Opening 2 - Papermoon
[YOUTUBE]rGmqn51xQ1g[/YOUTUBE]

Endings
Ending 1
[YOUTUBE]MBSMVKBmQVE[/YOUTUBE]

Ending 2
[YOUTUBE]8CnOSv0w1mw[/YOUTUBE]

Ending 3
[YOUTUBE]nlmHL2wUHck[/YOUTUBE]

Ending 4
[YOUTUBE]vNDS_MHDRA[/YOUTUBE]

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
>I warn you before reading this anime guide that this anime is addictive, I mean literally addictive, I read from the 1st chapter up to the new releases in like 2-3 days.

You read the manga and watch the anime (with some reading involved unless watching raws) :(. And yes I do get annoyed by the most minor of things :p.

The anime is good, I think I gave it 8/10 over at MAL. While some parts are rather lame in the anime (and you can't decide whether or not to hate Maka's Seiyū's voice or not), the manga is a lot better than the anime. This is definately worth (both) watching and reading, with that order as a recommendation.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
>I warn you before reading this anime guide that this anime is addictive, I mean literally addictive, I read from the 1st chapter up to the new releases in like 2-3 days.

You read the manga and watch the anime (with some reading involved unless watching raws) :(. And yes I do get annoyed by the most minor of things :p.

The anime is good, I think I gave it 8/10 over at MAL. While some parts are rather lame in the anime (and you can't decide whether or not to hate Maka's Seiyū's voice or not), the manga is a lot better than the anime. This is definately worth (both) watching and reading, with that order as a recommendation.

I heard the anime took a completely different path and they kind of just said "screw you" to the manga. Which is still releasing chapters.

I fixed it btw.

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
Both the anime and the manga has their ups and downs. The anime has rather lame battle scenes from time to time compared to how they turn out in the manga, but they make up for it by having an awesome Seyū for Kid, who's kickass to begin with.

So if you're up for watching 50-something episodes then surely do not miss out on the anime.

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
this anime is awesome!. 'nuff said.

...excaliburrr.... excaliburrrr...

I've learned that any and all episodes concerning excalibur is a complete waste of time :p
but yea, this anime is addicting, funny and extremely original xD

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Death the Kid FTW :thup:

[youtube]lK4Hpy9isf8[/youtube]

ZugZugZealot

Reaction score
Started out good, ended up bleh. But that's what happens when an anime passes up the manga. Stein vs Medusa was my favorite fight... Too bad I can't find a clip of the full fight on streaming sites WITHOUT being a fruity AMV (yes, I very much dislike AMVs. If I wanted to listen to someone's favorite song behind it, I would mute it and listen to my own favorite song). I heard something about another Soul Eater release some time in the future, hopefully it's a remake like FMA:B. I already prefer FMA:B over FMA original anime.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
The Anime's ending isn't even really the ending of the story.
The Manga is still going... So don't judge the series by the anime, because your missing half of the story.

Excalibur only showed up once in the Manga as a joke. So yeah, the Producers of the Anime just added him for filler-related reasons.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Soul Eater Chapter 65: "Black Feathers vs White Feathers" was released today.

The Death Scythe Wings now are much cooler than what Maka wanted, and I hate the priest, forgot his name, that was one of the Death Scythes, he is an ass xD

ZugZugZealot

Reaction score
I never did judge it by the anime. I was saying the anime turned out like crap. Which you should have got from...
But that's what happens when an anime passes up the manga.
And further reinforcing that I was talking about the anime turning out bad and NOT refering to the manga which is...
I heard something about another Soul Eater release some time in the future, hopefully it's a remake like FMA:B. I already prefer FMA:B over FMA original anime.
The first Full Metal Alchemist turned out bleh because it passed up the manga, and now they are airing Full Metal Alchemist following the manga more, they've got passed where the first anime passed the manga, and the actual story is wayyyy more enjoyable. I'm hoping that the same will happen with Soul Eater.

I hope this misunderstanding has been cleared. <_<

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I never did judge it by the anime. I was saying the anime turned out like crap. Which you should have got from...

And further reinforcing that I was talking about the anime turning out bad and NOT refering to the manga which is...

I wasn't accusing you, I was simply stating...

I dislike this waiting for a month for each manga chapter these days.

Dest

Reaction score
I finished watching all 51 episodes in 3 days. Very addictive anime, and has everything to my favorites. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.