Spell Shield Workaround

TheSpoon

Reaction score
I've created a (GUI) custom spell..
that causes a dummy to appear to cast a different spell on the target.

I've done this so that I can detect the unit type of casting unit (the dummy) with a unit takes damage (the target) so that I can do damage using triggers.

If you don't get that, it looks a bit like this:
Trigger 1: A unit starts the effect of an ability - create a dummy and cast dummy spell on target of ability being cast.
Trigger 2: A unit takes damage - unit type of damage source is equal to dummy - run triggered effects.

The REASON I have done it like this is because the spell sends a missile, and I want the trigger to run ONLY when the missile hits.

THE PROBLEM IS:
When the target has the spell shield item/ability, it does not block the spell.
I know why it doesn't, but I can't think of a work around.

Help! ^^

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
When it is cast on the unit, add it to a unit group before running the triggered effects. Then use an If/Then/Else condition to check if the target unit has your spell shield buff or item. If it does, remove it from unit group, and THEN do the effects on the unit group.

0WN3D

Reaction score
Jus make the unit when the items is not on cooldown to have a buff.... Then trigger check if the unit has the buff then remove it... ^^(gotta rush to school....)

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
The first cast from the hero probably triggers the item, so it's on cooldown when the missile hits.

Spell Shield is a pain to work with when triggering spells. You might want to reconsider...

TheSpoon

Reaction score
Well I've got a load of blizz spells/blizz items in my map atm.
And I planned to develop onto custom spells.
So you reckon I should just remove the item?

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.