Tutorial Step by Step basics to create an island

duderock101

Check out my 2 Player Co-op RPG!
Reaction score
Terrain Tutorial

Created by Duderock101

Terrain Basics – Creating a Island step by step

Ok we are going to create a mountainous island via a step by step guide.

1. First open WE
2. Click on the new map icon or do Ctrl + N
3. Change all the options so we have Sunken Ruins, 64x64, sand template and Shallow Water.

This will create us a 64x64 map that already has shallow water. It will be sunken ruins so we have a tile set that looks good for an island and we shall be using sand as a base tile set. A base tile set is what the ground looks like once you have created the map. It is very easily changed so don’t worry.

Click ok and wait the map to be loaded, it shouldn’t take too long

Very plain boring all that because all it is, is shallow water. Now it is up to you whether or not you ant to keep those squares. They help you do precision terrain. Making everything look in order, I like my terrains rough and tumble so I will get rid of them. If you want to get rid of them click the G button twice. You will notice that when you click the G button once they go small, the 2nd time they go. If you click G again they will become Very large squares.

Ok so we now have a simple shallow water map. Lets start adding land. Ok if you don’t already have a box up on the right hand side of your screen do this.

Window> New Platte>Terrain

You can see that you have a range of options. You might not understand all of them so just take a minute to move the mouse over them to see what they can do.

Apply Texture: These are the tiles you can use. They will allow you to change the flooring texture.

Apply Cliff: As the name says this will create either a ditch of a hill, shallow water or deep water.

Apply Height: This is what we shall be using to create our first bit of land. We use this because blizzard cliffs can be VERY U-G-L-Y. But they can also be good looking if you know how.

Cursor Templates: They aren’t called Cursor Templates but they act as the same thing. These options will decide how big you would like your apply tool.

Ok now you have a basic understanding of what you may use at your demise. Now select these options: Hight (Raise) Square Template Size 3.

Then move your cursor into the middle of the screen then hold down the mouse button and drag around in a small square. As you do this you will see land appear out of the water. Don’t make it too high.

We now have land yippee!!! As this is a small island it needs to have decent beaches! So select this. What you are selecting is the smooth tool, it will make your landscape look less bumpy and more smooth. Alas that’s why it’s called the smoothing tool.

Ok now go around the edges of your island using the smoothing tool. IT wont look like you’ve made much difference but at the end you will. Once you have done that it should look something like a beach

Ok now we have a nice looking piece of land. A land isn’t just made out of sand so lets put some other textures down. Now think, on real beaches dose it really go sand then grass. No I don’t think so, I believe it goes sand>dirt>grassy dirt>Grass > dark grass.

Ok this is how we shall do it. You must select the dirt tool and the 3rd Circle Cursor templates.

Don’t worry about my picture going dark. I will come to that later. Now we want to leave a bit of sand near the water but cover the middle of the island with your dirt texture. The circular template makes it look like it’s been put down randomly.

Ok now select the grassy dirt. It’s 2 along from dirt.

And now what you want to do is basically the same with the dirt but only leave a bit of dirt like you did with the sand.

Looks a bit ugly doesn’t it. Well lets sort that out. Select the circle template and make it size 1. Then select dark dirt that is between grassy dirt and dirt. Then what you must do is dot it around randomly either in the dirt or on the grassy dirt. If you do it on the grassy dirt make it towards the dirt.

Don’t worry about how it looks now. Select the grass texture and then add the grass texture like you did with the dirt and grassy dirt but this time inside the grassy dirt.

You will have noticed that I also added some dark grass in there. You could do that as well. Ok now we have the base of our island completed. That’s good… lets add some trees.

Go onto the Terrain Platte and select ruins trees.

Now place some trees on the grass and/or dark grass if you placed any…

You don’t find just trees on a island, you find shells and plants and all other kinds of things. Search through the whole of the terrain Platte and put down what you would like. I am going to go onto environment and add some rocks, mushrooms, shells, shrubs and vines. I will even add creeps. For creeps go onto the unit Platte and select Neutral Passive and add some Skinks, Albatrosses, crabs.

Now that is not all we want. The island is surrounded by loads of shallow water. Although It looks quite nice we need to get rid of it further out to sea. Select the Deep water and the size 3 square Template.

Then go away from your island leaving some shallow water and add deep water.

Now you should have a wonderful a beautiful island. It could be for a cinematic. Don’t go, we haven’t finished. Your sky looks black. You need a sky dummy!

Go to Scenario> Map Preferences and you have 3 options. Change the first one to Generic sky, this is the best one that I think goes with a small island. Now you can change the 2nd one, it will make the time not change from a time you pick. I’m going to pick noon.

Thanks for reading. Look out for anymore guides that will continue from this one. (i would have screen shots but i forgot how to add them lol)

Credits
Duderock101 – Creating Guide
Thehelper.net – Hosting it
You – For reading

Attachments

• Terrain Tutroril.w3x
    26.8 KB · Views: 161

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
I do enjoy reading it, but adding a map or some screenie will make it more enjoyable. ;)

linamus

I r bak!
Reaction score
Here's the picture of he's "map"

g2dhxut6j2sltoot8t0a.jpg

Doesnt seem like a good island for me

-------------------------
Best Ideas Comes When You're Not Thinking
The Land Of Wonders: http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=86883

duderock101

Check out my 2 Player Co-op RPG!
Reaction score
well u wudnt think so would u, and thats not how i made it turn out. Your always giving me slack, ive never heard u once say anything good about my work even when everybody else has :(

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Post your screenshot with imageshack, then use the direct link, and make it covered with the tags.

It will show up, otherwise, I can't understand what should it suppose to look like after reading this tutorial.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its not bad, except that it has already been done here and here.

And those are better than this one. no offense.

Gwypaas

hook DoNothing MakeGUIUsersCrash
Reaction score
Nice pics Linamus.

I like how this tutorial is written and it have nice pictures. The only thing I can complain about right now is:
Go to Scenario> Map Preferences and u have 3 options. Change the first one to Generic sky, this is the best one that I think goes with a small island. Now you can change the 2nd one, it will make the time not change from a time you pick. I’m going to pick noon.

waaaks!

Zinctified
Reaction score
cool but the cliffs on the water looks a bit messy
try using the same method on raising the island in that cliff to make it look smooth

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
Its not bad, except that it has already been done here and here.

And those are better than this one. no offense.

I agree, this tutorial was very basic terrain, nothing innovative. Tutorials should expose people to new and unique ideas.

Seannny

Why GUI when you can Jass?
Reaction score
It could be better =/

Try putting more time and thought into a tutorial before making one. And make a tutorial on something your sure you can do. if you are not good at terraining, don't make a terraining tutorial

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
It's not like all tutorials have to be innovative, some people have just started using WE and would like to learn stuff like this, however as said it has been done before.

And duderock, I think the idea of your island is neater than linamus, to much fuss and flowers on linamus, looks overspammed with doodads, atleast on that screen.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.