US News Student with Cancer Can't Graduate

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Woodland, CA- 18-year-old Leanna Elizalde knows she's behind in her classes. Since December she had two cancer surgeries and faced weeks of radiation therapy that left her with at least one english class she has to finish in order to graduate on Saturday. "I was falling behind in some classes. But I tried my best to catch up," she said.

Leanna's mother Lupe Ramirez said she asked the school to allow her daughter to graduate with her fellow students, even if she has to finish her classes over the summer. "I spoke with the vice principal. I spoke with the principal and even the school district and they're all like, nope, nope, nope, absolutely not," said Ramirez.

Woodland High School Principal Evelia Genera responded to News Ten's questions by saying, "Oh, I have no comment," and later adding, "You're not her parent. I'm not at liberty to discuss students with anyone but the parent."

Last edited:

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Aw, that's sad...

I wouldn't want to be turned down like that. Not at all...

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
Whoa she's just a B@$ch, asn't she should be allowed to be in the Ceremony and take the classes in some holiday

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
This sucks. My mom has breast cancer, If anyone told her she couldn't do something because of it, I would kill them. No joke, prison doesn't bother me. I feel sorry for her, not being able to graduate, schools are jokes.

ScarletBlade

Reaction score
That's really sad, she tried to get her grades up, and she probably would, but a damn stupid vice principal wouldn't let her. :thdown:

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
This sucks. My mom has breast cancer, If anyone told her she couldn't do something because of it, I would kill them. No joke, prison doesn't bother me. I feel sorry for her, not being able to graduate, schools are jokes.

More like the people who run this school are jokes. Pretty sure that a heck of a lot of other schools would have let her gone to the ceremony.

She even plans to finish her unfinished work in summer shcool. She's trying as hard as she can and these guys still won't let her go? For shame to them, they have no reason as to not to let her go.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Thats life man. Lifes hard. Its a story if they let her graduate.

Reaction score
Schools run by rules, not exceptions. It is a sad story, but I wouldn't hold it against the principal or the staff.

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
Schools run by rules, not exceptions. It is a sad story, but I wouldn't hold it against the principal or the staff.

Ya I'm torn on this... on the one hand, she was hit by cancer and life generally was hard for her, and she probably could complete the schooling over the summer. On the other hand, rules are rules, and she didn't meet all the requirements.

Reaction score
According to the (updated) page:

Woodland, CA- News10 has learned that the principal of Woodland High School will allow 18-year-old Leanna Elizalde to sit with her class during graduation ceremonies Saturday despite not having enough credits to graduate.

Cool. I guess they changed their minds.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score

Let me be the first (although I am probably not) to tell you that your mom wasn't able to raise a proper kid.

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score

:nuts:

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I don't see what the big deal is, she doesn't have enough credits so she's not graduating which means she doesn't get to sit with the graduating class.

The cancer part is just added in there to make you feel bad and make the story more dramatic. It's basic logic that she shouldn't be sitting with the graduating class.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Even though I agree that she shouldn't graduate because she did not get enough credits, the reason for her not getting credits IS related to cancer. Since she had to do therapy and cancer-treatment-related stuff, she missed school, and thus, failed to accomplish credits.

I would say to just make an exam covering most or some of the basics. She passes that, she can graduate. Like the High School Exit Exam.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Honestly, unless the English teacher was a bitch, she would have boosted her mark up above 50 if she really was trying, so I doubt she was actually trying as hard as she claims.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Are they really heart braker :thdown: Forget this credits bullshit make her happy, if they can test her before the graduate and she past it so why not

How someone can say she is a "Whoa she's just a B@$ch" Is not *****her fault she have/had cancer..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.