Terrain Review (Vote!)

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Since it is a large terrain, it is not very easy to make everything extremely detailed without losing a lot of quality or spending a ton of time on it.

I don't know what I'd rate this terrain, as I am not exactly the best terrainer, but I'll provide some feedback of what I thought of it.

Pic 1: The tiled path is a cool idea. However the rock around it is kind of empty and could use some filling up. Perhaps you could put some moss or vegetation around the rock (and possible other rocks you could use as filler?).

Pic 2: A lot more empty around the path. It would have been different to see some vegetation, or some groups of rocks to give it a more outside-like feel around the path.

Pic 3: The imported trees really don't seem to fit in well with the others. The purple leaves are just wayy too much contrast to really make it blend as a forest-like environment. The tower is also too out in the open, and needs stuff around it to make it really seem like an outpost-like setup, versus a random tower in the middle of nowhere.

Pic 4: Again, the imported trees are kind of distracting and out of place. I like the vegetation and waterfall you have at the top, and I like the rock tile for the bottom of the lake, though I think it could use a bit more vegetation throughout. Maybe some floating plants here and there, or a few rock outcroppings on the edges. The vines underneath the trees are also very out of place and random. I rarely see vines, unless its in some sort of underbrush.

Pic 5: One of the better ones. :) I felt that this one looked nice, but it could use a bit more of the rocks to really separate the path from the rocky area, and to make it more like an outside. You still have those ugly trees, though. :p

Pic 6: Ugh. Those trees are all completely non-matching, and the vines look terrible beneath them. The top 3 and bottom 3 also seem to line up, making it almost look planted (in an outside environment, you never want to see things that look like they were planted. Nature is random, and so you should try to make it more randomized).

Pic 7: More Ugh. :( The trees do not match with the others, and the vines are very random and are not even growing in patches. Also, add some thickening to the trees. Either add in grasses and vegetation to make it more like a field, or add leaves (tileset) and trees to make it more like a thick forest.

Pic 8: The overview shows how empty the middle section is. If it's a field, it has a lot of tall grass, flowers, weeds, etc growing. If it used to be a field or forest, it should at least have a few trees here and there, and a lot of chopped down (dead) trees to fill in the empty gaps. This also brings into perspective something I saw in all the screenshots. All your forests seem to be very spread apart. Trees should be growing right next to each other, and leave little room for maneuvering in-between. Thicken those forests, replace the imported trees with ones that fit in better, and add many more rocks (doodad/destructible) where there are rocks (tileset).

The mountains on the right side also need work. Rocks should be all around the slopes, not simply barren slopes, with rocks covering the top.

Last: Liven up those bases! Put some houses, stores, city-life, people, etc. Make it look like a living city, a military base, or at least something with a theme, that doesn't look like an empty base that just happens to have tons of people coming and going to fight the enemy.

takethat

Reaction score
Import eat space, unless the import file important for the game play. dont import.

too much pathing blockers, if your map wont consist of blink type skill, just block the edge is enuff,

tree mix not realistic, unless this a alice in the wonderland map, you dont c so many different climate trees grow next to each other

sym isnt bad, but too plain makes it bad

although blizzard cliff is evil in good looking terrain, you still require it if is a aos game, or atleast dont let the mid so plain...

Vylatin

Reaction score
I have really learned a lot! Especially from Darthfett. Thx! :D Keep your eyes open for new pics!

Cookiemaster

Reaction score
When did imports become a bad thing? :/

The WC3 trees are booring.

Imports are a bad thing since they eat YOUR precious map space.
That, and most imports don't have as good quality as the blizzard models do.

Seriously, that tree looks like all the leaves have been pulled out and replaced with pink tissue's. It looks... Awful. D:

And if Blizzard trees are boring, then you just have to IMPROVISE.

As said many times, add more doodads and put a tiny bit of random in it.
An example I just quickly made:
idb1ft.jpg

Nherwyziant

Be better than you were yesterday :D
Reaction score

Cuz, uuuhh, uhhh what the heck! :D
Liked the trees but the creeps path needs more doodads it's kinda same looking from both sides.

Never_Quit

Reaction score
Imports are a bad thing since they eat YOUR precious map space.
That, and most imports don't have as good quality as the blizzard models do.

Seriously, that tree looks like all the leaves have been pulled out and replaced with pink tissue's. It looks... Awful. D:

And if Blizzard trees are boring, then you just have to IMPROVISE.

As said many times, add more doodads and put a tiny bit of random in it.
An example I just quickly made:

I agree :D and nice example

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.