Tutorial Terraining - Roofed Areas

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Terraining - Roofed Areas

Roofed areas or hallways can be very useful in many types of maps, a popular reason would be for FPS maps, or other first person maps. They are also very simple to do. I will show you a method using archways, but there other methods aswell.

1. Create an archway where you want the hallway to be.

attachment.php

2. Hold down shift and then add more where you want the next arches to go. Holding shift will remove the pathing, allowing you to place doodads closer together.

attachment.php

3. (OPTIONAL) I like to give the hallways or areas nice entrances. One method I use for this is to lower the first 3 or 4 arches, slightly more each time, to create a staggered, curved looked entrance or exit. You can lower doodads into the floor by holding down the CTRL key and pressing Page down. This also works for raising doodads, but press Page up, instead of Page down.

attachment.php

4. Now, to make it look better, add some terrain for flooring. I am using Cityscape tile set and the tile “Bricks”. Other tiles you could use are “Square tiles”, “White marble” and “Black marble”, or in fact any tile that gives the desired effect of flooring.

attachment.php

5. It’s time for the doodads now. Go crazy with them, just as long as it looks good :). I like to add statues, banners and maybe some light sources, like braziers. The light sources make the terrain look better at night time, and just for darker terrain.

attachment.php

6. That’s basically all there is to creating roofed areas or hallways. These can very useful, but if they are used too much can result in overuse and will not have as good effect as if used sparingly, although, if made just right a lot of them will make the whole map appear as if it’s under a roof.

TIP: This same effect can be achieved with natural cliffs, which give a good “underground” style. See Below:

Thanks for reading, I look forwards to reading your comments. :)

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
Although I've read a tutorial about this before, this is much simpler. It's fine for the man-made hallway (or whatever), but the underground one looks far too repetitive. That aside, very good tutorial :thup:

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeh, I agree about the underground one being repetitive, I just thought that I should add it to show that its possible. Thanks for comments.

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
Yeh, I agree about the underground one being repetitive, I just thought that I should add it to show that its possible.
Perhaps you could add other ways to make underground rooved areas, such as using some sort of doodad; although I'm not sure that's possible.
Thanks for comments.
You are welcome.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
BUMP. 46 views and only 1 person posting, please post your comments.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Archway methods are pretty rubbish. They look awful and are repetitive.

There have been more general terraining tutorials which have mentioned how to do this, as well as other things.

And, I'd use 2-Ps method, which consists of using environmental doodads, and rotating/raising them to make caves. This could probably be done with the wall doodads for buildings.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, I will add that later. Thanks for commenting

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am not sure when I will get round to adding the other part of the tut. I am currently revising for my SATS. I will see if i can do it next weekend though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.