Tutorial Terraining - Winter City

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
I. Introduction
The objective of this tutorial is to introduce you to one method of creating a realistic human city. This is by no means the only method, and is only a learning tool. As always I encourage all readers to experiment and discover new and exciting terraining styles.

II. Shaping
Tileset: Icecrown Glacier
Starting Tile: Snow
-Start by outlining the streets of your city, in the example I will use Runed Bricks.
*Note* Don’t worry too much about this, just get a rough shape, you will want to adjust the roads later anyways.

1sthy0.jpg

III. Texturing
In the example I have used the following doodads and destructible;
Buildings (Village Fall Tileset) – Modified to remove Pathing Texture
I started by placing the first row along the edge of the road. After I smoothed out the front row to be flush using the angle features, I filled the empty space behind with further buildings, to give an “over populated” feeling.

Post Lantern (Dalaran Runes) – Modified to Remove Pathing Texture
I placed the post lanterns every few buildings, during the night time this will give the city heart and make the environment feel warm. You can put as much, or as little light depending on your goals. Fewer lights will give a harsher colder feeling, while more lights will make it brighter and friendlier.

Snowy Tree Wall (Lordaeron Winter) – Modified to 1.5 Maximum/Minimum Scale
The Snow Tree Wall is a divider, it cuts the empty space between the city and the outside world.

2ndqa6.jpg

IV. Additional
-Time of Day Preferences Set to Fixed Midnight
-Global Weather Set to Northern Snow Light
-Sky Set to Lordaeron Winter Sky
-Using the raise tool, raise the little lips of snow nearest to the buildings, it will start to look like mounds of snow.

3rdet4.jpg

Authors Notes
You are of coarse, not limited to what i have used in this example. I used very few doodads in the process. Below is a list of additional doodads and Possible Uses.

Igloo - Little kids + snow = Adventure!

Snow Man - Seriously? im not describing this one..

Fire pit trashed + Smudge - You can dot a few smudges on the fire pit trashed to make it look like it was recently put out.

Crystal - I like to freeze the animation of a unit and put him under a crystal, makes him look like hes been frozen solid.

If anyone has any suggestions, comments, or criticism. Please comment!

Draphoelix

It's not the wintercold that's killing me
Reaction score
The houses is too messed up. You doesn't even seem to be able to get out of door before you get knocked on a wall of another house.

Edit: Of course this would be a nice playable terrain. But for a cinematic I think this looks too unrealistic.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like the houses. I find making houses like that makes it look 'Warcraftish'.

Although, the tutorial seems to be very short on detail. Maybe different terrain? Hills?
Ponds maybe?

Oh, and a final screenshot with the weather and stuff would be nice :)

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
i like the houses, how their placed right next to each other.

The back portion (where the bulk of the houses are) could be raised up to add variation (and to add space for some trees and or oter doodads)
for a city thats really small, it looks more like a compressed village to me lol, also some street lights would be nice, even in warcraft times they have streetlights, itll make it feel more like a city

once again, more variation on the doodads, itll make it feel more city like, as much as i love the whole winter aspect, it just feels boreing seeing only houses and what..5 trees? cmon dude, a city isnt just a glop of houses
wheres my inn, my bar, my gunshop, markets? this place has got to eat right? dont tell me they live off of snow and bark now

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
Ehh... I don't like the final result. It just looks like building spam with a crappy brick tile that doesn't look like something you would see in a human city. Even if it is icecrown tileset, people don't re-pave their roads and put down runes in their street during winter.

Also, it could use a bit of environment. Even cities have trees and plants (especially ones like that).

demotry241

Don't Ever Categorize Yourself.
Reaction score
if it is a city, it will look exactly like that..if not then it won't

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.