The Battle for Middle Earth - testing needed

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
Okay, here's my comments from when I played it:

- What's the difference between the different races? You need to put into some information about that.
- Although this map is called "Battle for Middle Earth", I only heard one reference to anything relating to Tolkien's world and that was when the Undead guy mentioned something about Saruman. What does any of this have to do with Middle Earth?
- Instead of having gold "items", just use bounty. Its annoying having to pick up gold pieces every time they drop.
- The camera system is cool, but it should be optional. Having it permanently locked to the unit is fine, but when the camera changes direction it can get confusing knowing where you are.
- The different shops are confusing. Some of them are buildings, others are units. Make them all either buildings or units, not both.
- The tips are nice, but they display too often. And you shouldn't have a tip display more than once. If a tip is important enough that a player needs to remember it, just put in the game info section in the Quests log.
- For the Phoenix Egg quest, don't spawn the item on top of the mountain until after you obtain the quest. I picked up the item before I got the quest, but it disappeared, so I had to run all the way back and pick it up again after getting the quest. That is really annoying.
- Where can I train/buy abilities?
- Too many standard items. Make more custom items.
- Way too many Potion of Healings drop.
- The combat is really really easy. The only time I ever needed one of the million Potion of Healing I picked up was in Vulkan, and that was only once or twice. (I don't know if you intend it that way for testing.)
- The terraining looks good, but the cities are kind of bland. One suggestion though: There was one spot in Vulkan where I couldn't reach because of pathing. Make sure you check all the pathing throughout the map.
- What are all of my extra skill points for? I can only learn the new level skill every other level, but I get a new point every level.
- Add a system where the pet will automatically follow you around.
- Unit's collision is an issue. There were a few times where several villagers or guards were standing in my way and I couldn't get around them because the collision is too big.

Overall, it was an enjoyable few minutes. I really like RPG's. Make improvements and add more stuff, and I will definitely come back for more. :thup:

TheLegend

Reaction score
Ok here are a few tips for later:
- If the combat is too easy try finishing a dungeon instead. One is near Dark Woods and the second near Arcus
- You can buy upgrades and one special ability at your house
- Ill add a pet portal system like each time you press the Spacebar you pet gets beamed to you (cooldown 3 mins)
- The drop rate of items (potion) is 5% (you are just lucky)
- Why having the gold coins dropped? Because other players can steal your reward ;)
- Have you found the Chemist job jet?
- Have you found my special items like Ring of Regeneration and Wand of Illusion
Ill fix the collision and ill smothen the camera a bit and I plan adding more quests (you saw it gonna be 40 quests) and dungeons (10 should work fine). Ill add over 50 jobs and more unit types soon. It aint easy to update such a map fast but Ill try my best.
The name The Battle for Middle Earth comes from Lord of The Rings just here you help the main heroes to fight Sauron. Its meant to be different than the original game itself. The difference in Races is the main hero ability like the Fereal Spirit ability in Orcs and Death Coil in the Undead. Each unit type has its own Special ability:
-Swordsman - Defend
-Rifleman - Long range
-Mage (all races) - Spell Book
-Grunt - War song
-Headhunter - Envenomed spears

One question:
Did the gameplay ever cause your units to freeze. I mean like you cant move the unit but everything else works fine (the menu, Unit animation in the display box and Unit name prewiew)?

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
- If the combat is too easy try finishing a dungeon instead. One is near Dark Woods and the second near Arcus

Creeps need an increase in damage and hitpoints. Even Vulkan was really easy.

- You can buy upgrades and one special ability at your house

Upgrades are fine, but they should never replace abilities. The combat is very very boring without at least a couple of active skills to use.

- Ill add a pet portal system like each time you press the Spacebar you pet gets beamed to you (cooldown 3 mins)

This is good, but ideally you want a system where the pet follows you automatically.

- The drop rate of items (potion) is 5% (you are just lucky)

That's fine, but reduce the number of potions dropped to 1 or 2, not 5. Within about 15 minutes I had over 100 potions, and I never used more than 3 in the whole game.

- Why having the gold coins dropped? Because other players can steal your reward ;)

Why would you ever want to have another player steal reward? That is bad design.

- Have you found the Chemist job jet?

Yes, and it was cool. The only thing I suggest about the professions is that you add required ingredients for making the items.

- Have you found my special items like Ring of Regeneration and Wand of Illusion

Yes. Nothing special about them.

The name The Battle for Middle Earth comes from Lord of The Rings just here you help the main heroes to fight Sauron. Its meant to be different than the original game itself.

It's good that you don't want to copy the original storyline, but the city names and places aren't even in any Tolkien lore. If you're gonna base a map off a (very) famous story, you at least want to include famous places and people as NPC's.

The difference in Races is the main hero ability like the Fereal Spirit ability in Orcs and Death Coil in the Undead. Each unit type has its own Special ability:
-Swordsman - Defend
-Rifleman - Long range
-Mage (all races) - Spell Book
-Grunt - War song
-Headhunter - Envenomed spears

What is the special ability for the humans, because I didn't see any. You need to make the Races more unique from each other, more than just 1 special ability. For example, Undead should have faster hit point regeneration, Elves should have faster move speed, etc. Those are just examples.

Did the gameplay ever cause your units to freeze. I mean like you cant move the unit but everything else works fine (the menu, Unit animation in the display box and Unit name prewiew)?

No, that was fine. I didn't have any problems with that.

TheLegend

Reaction score
ok i made some fixes as said. the combat is much harder. for the races here are the abilities:
human - attribute bonus
orc - fereal spirit
undead - death coil.
I fixed the spellbook to only 2 spells per race and i fixed the models. About the gold system. it was designed to give other players the ability to steal your gold so that you have to be faster collecting it. it dissapears after 45 seconds. Update is in the first post

TheLegend

Reaction score
v1.19 is out. I added the normal camera (press Escape to switch camera modes) and some cinematics. Fixed the camera target switcher.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.