Tower makes a beeping noise

Homer

Reaction score
Hey, not sure if this is the correct place to post this however, this beeping is starting to scare me and I don't know what the cause is. Basically the tower makes a siren noise usually when I'm playing a game, however it doesn't do it right away. It seems dependent on how long I've had the computer on. If I've had it on all day then i load up a game like Swat 4 it seems to start instantly(As soon as i get in game). However, I can play it for awhile if had the computer off(for awhile) prior to booting up the game. This leads me to believe its a heating problem because when I got the computer I had a similar issue. Turned out the fan had come lose and the siren noise would start very easily. So I'm not sure what to do, I want to make sure its overheating.

Thanks for reading. Hope to hear some solution soon.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Yes, it's most likely an overheat warning, as it happens while using the computer and not in POST. How hot is the CPU getting?

How many and what kind of beeps are you hearing (short and/or long)?

Homer

Reaction score
Its just a constant siren, umm the best description I've come upon would be a french police siren. Its continuous. However, the weird thing is sometimes if i just minimize the application it stops. However when i resume it, it starts up shortly after(very quickly after). Its has two beeps to the pattern. Today I was playing a game of Warcraft 3. I joined a custom game, we were still in the lobby before the game started. Within a few(maybe 30-60 seconds) it started to siren. I proceeded to leave the game lobby. It cut out after i did so. So that really perplexes me.

The temperature of my motherboard is 120 degrees C
Cpu 62 degrees C

I think my motherboard is too hot?

enouwee

Reaction score
120°C :eek:
Consider it a miracle it's still working. Better fix whatever is broken (fan?) before using that computer again.

enouwee

Reaction score
That reading is wrong. Only trust monitoring applications that came with your mainboard or double-check that the other applications report the values correctly.

What kind of CPU is installed in that computer? Should these be your idle temperatures, they're quite (if not excessively) hot for most models.

Homer

Reaction score
Turns out the sensor for the motherboard temp are way off. Anyways Its a heating issue, turns out my SB(south bridge) fan is not running(accoding to my bios, 0 RPM). Not sure where this is located though and when I check inside it looks like all is running. I have my bios to warn me when my comp reaches 70 C So thats where the siren is comming from. If you might know where this fan is located please let me know :O. Heres my motherboard -
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce4 Intel Edition

enouwee

Reaction score
If you might know where this fan is located please let me know :O.

It's a socket-mounted IC somewhere on the bottom part of the mainboard, normally next to the extension slots and pretty close to the USB/SATA/PATA connectors.

It may not have a fan at all, so having 0 RPM is perfectly "normal".

But if I were you, I'd do something against that 70°C CPU temperature. It's just too hot for any CPU (be it Intel or AMD). 70-75°C should be the maximum operating temperature of the Pentium 4's, so keep it at least 10°C below that recommended limit.

Homer

Reaction score
well it averages at 60(if im not doing anything) But as soon as I boot up something that takes any processor it raises about 10C so thats when it becomes a problem. Thanks for the fast reply, I'll look into it.

enouwee

Reaction score
Idle temperature of a Pentium 4 (which model/speed do you own?) should be somewhere between 35°C and 45°C, depending on your cooling (stock, high-end, ...) and the processors TDP (heat that has to be dissipated).

Carefully clean all the dust and whatever sits inside the heatsink / fan. It that doesn't help, you should take it apart, apply new thermal grease, throughfully clean the heatsink and reassemble everything. Or just bring the computer to a shop and ask them to do the nasty job for you.

Homer

Reaction score
Reviving my old topic due to some lingering issues. When i play call of duty 4 for some time after have the computer on for some time, the computer heats up. Using Speedfan, it shows my GPu reaching 70 after some play time. Now, I'm wondering what to do here. I've got 3 fans not including the bridge fans on the motherboard? or where ever they are located. I've got one on the heat sink, and then 1 taking in air on the left side of the case and 1 on the top blowing out air.

I'll get some pictures up soon, maybe I just have bad circulation. Either way its starting to annoy me. Also, I seem to have an issue with going on Standby. When I resume from it the computer quickly heats up, or atleast the sensors report this and my warning siren goes off for heat. It will occur from me just watching a flash video. Any help is appreciated. And ill get these pictures up asap.

Edit: I have two gpu's and it seems only noe of them is having this issue. How am i suppose to identify the problem child?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.