Turning on problem and Major Turn off problem

Pie_Crust

Reaction score
Ok, well to begin my computer for the past five days has had a problem turning off. I would go to Start then Turn off computer. I hit that button and it takes two minutes for the little box in the middle of the desktop to appear. It gives me an hour glass and sits there, the clock dose not continue to count time and I cannot click on the desktop I can only move the mouse.

I can go to Start and Log Off, and it logs off instantly. But when I turn it off from viewing my account it still takes two minutes.

In the past two days when the turn off button finally comes up after two minutes I click it it begins to turn off goes to windows and say'd your computer is logging off or w/e it usually says then that takes a outrageous Five minutes!!! to turn its self off after a two minute wait for the off button box to appear.

My computer also has a black screen on start-up and tells me to select windows XP or some other option. I can hit F8 for more and I get safe mode and such to pick from. I pick start from last good config. My computer runs normally, the only thing that happened the other day is my CSS game froze up once I joined a server and started a round, on the same day it started to fall asleep randomly.But once re-booted the problem went away.

The computer is running no programs when I shut it off. There are only 30 processes that are up and are doing nothing. The only thing that is in the bottom right system tray is the Safely Remove Hardware thing. That has been there since day one.

System Specs

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
Version: x86 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 2
Speed: 2605 MHz

RAM: 4 GB

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE

Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Pie_Crust

Reaction score
I have used a virus scan, nothing comes up, its been defraged and I have tried system restore and that did nothing.

Is the ccleaner safe?:confused: I'd just like to get a second opinion.:)

:thup:<3Thanks for the replies I've gotten so far, I posted on another forum :thdown:and got nothing for 4 days now.

Don

Rise with the Fallens!
Reaction score
I allready tried CCleaner, safer then any other program doing that kind of job.

I swear it will work :p

(yeah third opinion)

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Yes, CCleaner is safe and it's the most efficient program I know of to clean up your registry.

Pie_Crust

Reaction score
Should I check all and run the program for it to clean? or just go with what it has on the start-up here.

It has the advanced all un-checked and two things in system not checked.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Do the registry clean. The other one isn't as important but you can do that one too, but if you want to keep your cookies and browser history, uncheck Internet Explorer or Firefox or whatever browser you use first.

S

Sampson623

Your Comp might be infected with a virus trogan and or other stuff...:eek:

Pie_Crust

Reaction score
I used the cleaner, and it found some files and cleaned up the comp, took only like 2 minutes. So I hope it will fix the problem. or is there more too it >.<

For the answer to the Viruses I have Norton Internet Security >.> Which I hear is not that great, it tells me that there are none, I will scan later tonight.

Pie_Crust

Reaction score
The turn off box on the desktop still takes two minutes, It turned off faster after the button was pushed.

The black screen from turn on is still there.

There was some program turning off when I hit the off button that was gonna end its self after that set amount of time. But it went away in a split second so I could not get the name.

Pie_Crust

Reaction score
Formatting my C drive

I would like some information on this. If I where to go to my computer and right click on the C drive and click format it will wipe my computer's memory? This is my goal, then to install windows XP again because it is not working right.

Would that work? and would I be able to re-install windows XP?

Would I have to download important hardware so my computer would run again? I know I would have to re-install my graphic's card drive, but would the computer be able to know how much ram processor ect. it has?

I haven't done this before, and if there is a better away to do this could some one help me with it. Thanks!!!:thup:

and yes, this is my last alternative if this download from HP dose not fix my problem because I cannot live with the black screen on start-up and it not turning off normally. It's driving me insane.

Topic here talks about the problem if you're interested, but I've kinda given up and am shootin for this fix.
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104666

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
A format is a last chance thing, it could be your HD is dying. How old is your HD?

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
do u own a brand pc like hp, acer etc etc or did come with an oem version of windows xp ?

Pie_Crust

Reaction score
I have a HP Pavilion, it did not come with a windows disc.

The disc I want to use is a dell windows xp service pack 2 disc would it work on my HP?
How could it affect it? its just windows but again I'm probably wrong.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Assuming this is a desktop, download all the needed drives and store them somewhere. (Flash Drive, CD, ect)
Then format with your windows disc and install the drivers off the removal media.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.