US News U.S. Support for Legalizing Marijuana Reaches New High

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Gallup's October Crime poll finds 44% of Americans in favor of making marijuana legal and 54% opposed. U.S. public support for legalizing marijuana was fixed in the 25% range from the late 1970s to the mid-1990s, but acceptance jumped to 31% in 2000 and has continued to grow throughout this decade.

Public opinion is virtually the same on a question that relates to a public policy debate brewing in California -- whether marijuana should be legalized and taxed as a way of raising revenue for state governments. Just over 4 in 10 Americans (42%) say they would favor this in their own state; 56% are opposed. Support is markedly higher among residents of the West -- where an outright majority favor the proposal -- than in the South and Midwest. The views of Eastern residents fall about in the middle.

Last edited:

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Oh well...
As soon as the first car incident happens while on MJ, it will be illegalized. Or at least there will be a discussion about banning it forever.

Though, MJ and Alcohol have similar effects - They both reduce the capability of your senses - MJ DOES have a higher degree of long-term effects (such as being slack n' stuff).

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
Economic recessions fuel support of extremism.

>_>
<_<
>_>

InfectedWithDrew

I used to go here a lot.
Reaction score
Oh well...
As soon as the first car incident happens while on MJ, it will be illegalized. Or at least there will be a discussion about banning it forever.

Though, MJ and Alcohol have similar effects - They both reduce the capability of your senses - MJ DOES have a higher degree of long-term effects (such as being slack n' stuff).
Those long-term effects are a side effect of the hypoglycemia caused by marijuana. If you take care while using marijuana you won't become dopey. THC in and of itself does not permanently affect the mind. Anything you hear otherwise is a myth.

I personally would like to see marijuana legalized and tobacco banned. The latter is much more toxic, and has no practical uses. Marijuana can be therapeutic, is not chemically addictive, and its byproducts, hemp and hashish, have their uses too - particularly hemp.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
It's about time. I rather use cannabis than a prescribed narcotic for my pain medication any day w/o doing it illegally.

sqrage

Reaction score
Yea I read this elsewhere (pot forums ;)) and it's awesome. I think it will happen soon. Look at Oakland, it's doing great over there. So many states have already legalized medical this year it's crazy. And California is even going as far as disobeying the federal gov. which is awesome. :thup:

Can't wait for the day I can walk down the street on a nice sunny spring day with a joint ready to be lit.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
if it became legal to use it without medical purposes. i would just leave and give up on america. and go to like. Switzerland :p

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
if it became legal to use it without medical purposes. i would just leave and give up on america. and go to like. Switzerland :p

Why?

Marijuana is not a harmful substance. It's not some chemically engineered drug made in a factory or a lab. It's a plant.

It makes no sense to say it might cause accidents if people drive while under its influenced. You cant make something illegal because it's dangerous if misused. Alcohol is dangerous if misused, cars are dangerous if misused, knives are dangerous if misused. FFS stairs are dangerous if misused. Make it illegal to drive while high, but don't make it illegal to get high.

There is no logical reason to make marijuana a crime.

sqrage

Reaction score
Not to mention legal prescription drugs are dangerous to be on while driving too. And honestly, people would probably drive safer when high. They'd be so paranoid about cops or getting into accidents that they would take it easy.

Snowbizzle

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I smoke weed all day, every day.
I go to college, and I have a job.
I drive stoned all day, every day, and have never gotten into an accident, or been pulled over for a ticket. Ever.

Marijuana is not dangerous unless you are already predisposed to being an idiot. And the worst thing that will ever happen to someone who uses pot is that they could get caught. Not that it hurts memory, or hurts cognitive function, or makes you lazy, or makes you get in accidents, or costs a lot of money or ruins personal relationships or ANYTHING like that.

The most dangerous side effect of smoking pot is being caught. And that is stupid. I can't wait to see this movement really catch on. It's time the individuals of this country finally start figuring things out for themselves instead of living in the blissfully ignorant shadow of our government.

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
That it is "not as bad as other drugs or alcohol" doesnt make it good. I think its an awful argument to legalize yet a new unhealthy thing.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
That it is "not as bad as other drugs or alcohol" doesnt make it good. I think its an awful argument to legalize yet a new unhealthy thing.

It's not about it being harmfull, it's about being high without having to get caught.
At least for most it is THE reason to get high, no?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
It's not about it being harmfull, it's about being high without having to get caught.
At least for most it is THE reason to get high, no?

That's true, not a hell of a lot of fun if I'm just sitting in my house. I get drunk and do that, but high... no you got to leave or else it's stupid.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I believe that no one should smoke anything or take any drug. It's a waste of money and time and effort, but I have no issues with marijuana being legalized. I will not smoke the stuff myself, but a lot of other people would probably like to.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I believe that no one should smoke anything or take any drug. It's a waste of money and time and effort, but I have no issues with marijuana being legalized. I will not smoke the stuff myself, but a lot of other people would probably like to.

I don't smoke often (except cigarettes... buy lots of those) although every once in a while it is kind of fun to not be sober.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.