Uncontrollable unit

Dremora

Reaction score
Is it possible to make a unit function like a ward, in that you can't order it to attack a certain target or move to a certain place while still being owned by the player?

Just make a custom ability based on Serpent Ward that summon your unit
Or just make a trigger that change its owner to Ally with no shared control

Anyway, I have a question.
I've been trying to make Mechanical Critter that summon other unit instead of sheep or pig but cant find a way :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: . Any ideas? :confused:

Malygos said:
Just make a custom ability based on Serpent Ward that summon your unit
That simply wont work. I think.
Malygos said:
Or just make a trigger that change its owner to Ally with no shared control
He said he wanted it to retain its owner.
Malygos said:
Anyway, I have a question.
I've been trying to make Mechanical Critter that summon other unit instead oh sheep or pig but cant find a way. Any ideas? :confused:
Don't hijack other peoples threads.

Will it work if u add Ward classification in Object Editor?

Malygos said:
Will it work if u add Ward classification in Object Editor?
Suprisingly... that works! well... sort of, I can still move the unit and attack by right clicking... oh well, I'll just have to rework what I had planned. Thanks for the help.

If you would want to prevent player from ordering unit doing something, you could do it by creating a simple trigger, that is:

Event > Unit - spec event - get issue order targeting point/unit. (*)

Action > Unit - Unit issue order with no target - that unit - order to stop.

However, you have to remember not to choose in (*) case 'issue order with no target' cause the action might loop, probably with crash effect. That case will prevent unit from getting moving and attacking orders, but not no 'issues with no target', what it means... you would be able to use for example 'Thunder Clap' ability with MK.

If you want to let unit move and attack - lets say you previously ordered unit to do action and then 'lock' the action and let unit countiniue it, that gonna be a bit harder case:

You will have to crate variable storing 'planned action' and add condition to trigger that wont stop doing or/and let order 'planned action' without ignoring it (stopping it - trigger itself).

Yeah... good luck.

Fun fact for everyone: even blizzard doesn't know how to make wards not be able to attack by right-clicking. You can control a serpent ward's target by right-clicking it. But, if you make move speed zero, then they can't move. So just make his move speed zero and add the ward classification.

FireWarrior said:
Fun fact for everyone: even blizzard doesn't know how to make wards not be able to attack by right-clicking. You can control a serpent ward's target by right-clicking it. But, if you make move speed zero, then they can't move. So just make his move speed zero and add the ward classification.

And where did you find that Blizzard were not able to prevent wards from attacking? If they wish, they can release a new version in which wards won't attack but will instead spin in the air damaging everyone... Or teleport, fly, explode, anything.

They created the game; They know what they're doing :D

Why don't you just add Locust to the unit? It will become not only uncontrollable but also unclickable.

Unattackable, unkillable, also.

Dremora said:
Is it possible to make a unit function like a ward, in that you can't order it to attack a certain target or move to a certain place while still being owned by the player?

Turn off movement (Movement type = none)
Give it Worker classification.

If you are really desperate, set the Building flag to true.

Code:
Player - Player 1 (Red) Selects a unit

Code:
Selection - Clear selection for Player 1 (Red)

Unfortunetly the player couldn't see its hp or items ethier, but honestly, if you have just a few and its that important, pull a switcher-ru and select for the player a unit with the same hp mana regain ect ect but make it a ward and hide its location from the player and give it 0 range. They did something like that in jungle troll tribes, take a look in there if you want (4.5 and on, when the recipes are given on the actull troll not buildings in the middle of the map).

>"And where did you find that Blizzard were not able to prevent wards from >attacking? If they wish, they can release a new version in which wards won't attack >but will instead spin in the air damaging everyone... Or teleport, fly, explode, >anything.
>
>They created the game; They know what they're doing "

Roffles...

Ok, I guess I misused hyperbole. Sorry. What I was trying to say was that with the way the editor works there isn't a way to accomplish a unit that won't change its target with a right-click.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.