Windows Explorer always opens new folder in new window

jogex

Reaction score
I pretty much explains everything in the video. I hate having to explains things like this but writing as I never seem illustrate my problem correctly.
So yeah, watch the video and let me know if you have a possible fix :) I can pay you like 5 dorrah or something if you have moneybooker :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C55DnJz_c9k

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
Well, I don't have a solution for you, but according to Google you are not alone.

One potential solution that looks reputable is from here.

Minnetonka Mark said:
Go to this web site: http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

Then, in section 2 click on "Use desktop features, or open programs and files"

In the window below will be a list of solutions. Simply "Run Now" the one called : Diagnose and repair Windows File and Folder Problems automatically After running the "fixit" my problem of a new window opening all the time in Windows Explorer went away! Worked perfect!

I do NOT recommend doing some of the other things suggested on that page. Almost every other suggestion is one or another registry tweak that may or may not actually fix your particular variant of the bug. And may or may not cause you even more annoying bugs. Personally I wouldn't mess with it. If you do, then remember to back up the registry first, and pay attention to what you're doing. Making a restore point might not be a bad idea either. But that fixit thing is on the real microsoft website and should be reliable. Hope it helps, I notice no one responded to Mark's post.

While looking into this I got curious: "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState\Settings" is where explorer stores the same/new window setting, at least on XP SP3. I guess you could see if explorer is at least recording your choice correctly, whether or not it is following it is obviously a different matter.

jogex

Reaction score
Well, I don't have a solution for you, but according to Google you are not alone.

One potential solution that looks reputable is from here.

I do NOT recommend doing some of the other things suggested on that page. Almost every other suggestion is one or another registry tweak that may or may not actually fix your particular variant of the bug. And may or may not cause you even more annoying bugs. Personally I wouldn't mess with it. If you do, then remember to back up the registry first, and pay attention to what you're doing. Making a restore point might not be a bad idea either. But that fixit thing is on the real microsoft website and should be reliable. Hope it helps, I notice no one responded to Mark's post.

While looking into this I got curious: "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState\Settings" is where explorer stores the same/new window setting, at least on XP SP3. I guess you could see if explorer is at least recording your choice correctly, whether or not it is following it is obviously a different matter.
Thanks allot! I will try the fixit tool asap :)

Edit: It did not seem to work tho :/ None of the options matched my issue either. FML

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.