WIP and finished screenshots

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Now, onto what you need:

Image 3 -- Farm --

Pretty good, but what's with the rock wall? Spread some rocks randomly around the farm to make it look realistic.

I don't know about your chickens either--you only really need 4 or 5 to get the idea.

And how about some sheaves of picked grain? Basically a haystack or two.

Image 4 -- Starting out Area --

I'm sure you know this, but this could use the most work.

Fountain should have some kind of tile texture below it--nobody builds these things on grass. Perhaps you could switch it off for a scaled up Well?

And it could use a lot of scenery. Flowers and shrubs anyone? Bushes maybe?

(Well, Bushes and Shrubs ARE the same thing, but in the editor they are not :))

Shouldn't you make a tiny VERY scaled down church to go too? Who doesn't like a tiny cathedral near the starting point? It makes for a modest little spot on the map.

Mind said:
A mortal, insignificant priest shapes a divine, omnipotent entity? I thought you to claim that the Almighty One created us?

So what is the relevance of this according to what he's doing? Oh, heh, you changed it to stop the flames :D

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
I'm thinking about removing the group of soldiers or at least moving them. They're right in the middle of the town, and it does look a little odd. If I do keep them, I'll use your suggestion Mind.

Mind said:
A mortal, insignificant priest shapes a divine, omnipotent entity? I thought you to claim that the Almighty One created us?

I will ignore this as I fail to see what this flame has to do with the basic idea of this thread.

After you finish a certain quest you summon your god who's a powerful tank and takes almost the whole team to defeat. (basically he's a hero with high armor and high hit points but average 50 damage )

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
XXconanXXX said:
HAHA very funny:p.He's summoning an almighty being not creating one. It's the same concept as Kel'Thuzad summoning Archimonde, he didn't create him. I don't necessarily know what the story behind that one is, but I do know how he fits with the gameplay. After you finish a certain quest you summon your god who's a powerful tank and takes almost the whole team to defeat. (basically he's a hero with high armor and high hit points but average 50 damage )

However, I really don't see the intelligence behind it anyway.

An almighty God ISN'T almighty in the game?

I seriously suggest you change it into a DEMIGOD which has vast amounts of power, but isn't almighty. Even the Titans or Archimonde would more be called Demigods. Warcraft III doesn't seem to have a God--but if there is one, he created the Titans.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
I posted my last post right after you did Rinpun.

Good suggestion about the Farm, but as I said, this is a WIP so it's very bland, I just needed to get the basic ideas through.

The stone wall is there to signify where the starting area is and is a 'line' between the different scenes.

Good idea. I was thinking an altar or something but I am definately going to add a holy place where heroes can pray which I have no clue as to what it is going to do at this point.

[EDIT]Demigod, god, same difference hehe. Well yes he's going to be a demigod, and as I said I have no clue what the story is going to be behind him. I'm thinking about removing Arthas as one of the selectable heroes and make him the Demigod that spawns. (don't ask me why he's spawning for the Humans as you'll find out when the map is released)

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
*Sigh* We keep posting at the same time as each other so we're both a step behind!

:D

Well, I will respond to what you've said.

Aight, but shouldn't it be more of a tile wall? Maybe the houses should have tiled floor underneath. But maybe not--it IS your choice.

That would be nice. Perhaps you can then either have a Prayer Skill apart of every hero, add it to just a Holy Paladin, or just have a random number to signal what happens. It would be cool to have a Dialog saying "What to Pray for?"

You could have these :)

Help -- Every good unit across the map (have range 99999) gets a +2 armor divine aura.

Healing -- Choose several non-hero units with low health and give them a long range healing wave.

Guidance -- Perhaps control some random ally computer units to direct them in battle better?

Might -- Either cast a basic flamestrike of sorts on the enemy or perhaps "Confuse" computer enemies and make them attack each other for 5-10 seconds.

-------------------------------------------------------

Demigod -- Half-God

God -- Almighty Being.

Therefore, they're not they same thing. Demigods are beatable, Gods are not--unless they face other Gods. Maybe you should make their armor Divine and give only Gods Chaos damage.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Here's 2 more screenshots. Didn't change much, except move the group of soldiers and spread them out. I also added a graveyard which isn't anything special, just felt like posting it.

Please, I don't need off-topic posts in this thread. I'm not saying this thread is totally about me, but I don't want posts that are way off what the discussion is about and other stuff like flaming me for things that are not even relevant to what the thread is about.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Your Graveyard should be surrounded by some trees and rocks. I don't see much else in the pic :)

C

Cyclical

Here are some initial thoughts

General:

*Too many 90-degree angles. If I were you I'd change it so that everything isn't laid out with flush edges that emulate the grid underneath. Keep in mind, you're building a medieval-style town, and they were very rarely laid out along neat, intersecting survey lines. Try and forget that you're looking down on it; shift your camera angle down into it and set up good shots.

*Land's awfully flat. Mix it up a little. Remember, we're talking about a world without excavation or earth-moving equipment. Granted, they do have the benefit of magic, but you don't want to overuse that excuse. Hills and dales, boyo. Hills and dales.

*Mix up your treeline a bit. Add some areas that jut out, some that recede. Put in a place where there's a bunch of stumps. Make it look like this place was cut out of the unwilling wilderness - the way Ye Olde Tyme towns were.

I won't address pic #1 since you've changed it.

Pic #2:
The concept is great, but again, I would consider rotating it off of the 90 deg. base. That way you'll be able to see the red of the bulls-eyes, which will look much better than a bunch of nondescript bales. Action is more interesting when it appears more random.
Also, are you using those boulders as rock walls? If so, I recommend you either place an active Geomancer in your game, or scale down those rocks. It looks too much like the everyday citizenry constructs Stonehenges just to keep their sheep in.

Pic #3:
Keep this one along the 90 deg. lines; it looks good. I would advise, however, that you lower the land that the farm's on, and place it in between two hills. The land's often best in low areas, and while most people don't actively know that, they're used to seeing it and will think it strange if it's different. To add interest, you could also noise the field a little (just this once ;)).

Pic #4:
I like this very much - it has a great sleepy little town feel to it. I would recommend that you make the area around the fountain either stone or dirt. After all, a fountain was often a very sociable place in a Medieval town. The constant feet walking around it would certainly kill the grass. You could also make it stone - cobbled, of course, to keep the feeling. Tile would feel too "big city". Also, raise up that area. Make it on a hill. Often the governance of a town was built on a hill, from which everything could be seen. No need to deviate. A path would be good too.

Pic #5:
Much better than the previous formation. However, I would concur with Mind's advice - that you limit yourself to one Captain to a company. And perhaps a few Knights to guard the flanks? That, of course, depends on whether you want Knights to be there at all. Priests in the back is definitely the way to go.

Pic #6:
The perfect place for a Cathedral doodad if ever I've seen one. Seriously. Put it off to the right. It will look superb. And pathing-wise, if the Heroes respawn in there, be certain they don't get hemmed in by graves. That would be obnoxious.

Jeez, hope I didn't go overboard. If it felt like I'm tearing it to pieces, I'm not. It's certainly a good start; room to improve, but a good start. Well done.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Code:
The practice of analyzing, classifying, interpreting, or evaluating literary or other artistic works.

Thank you for all your comments. I will be using them. I'm thinking about changing the scene to more of a 'Castle' where there lots of Peasants living inside of guard walls.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Here a few more. I have rebuilt the Human fortress with your suggestions. As I said before, these are very early WIPs so I haven't added pretty things like flowers and environmental things, I'm just trying to get the basic structure of the fortress down. I tried getting as much as possible in the screenshots but sacrificed detail, so tell me if you can see everything alright.

*Yawn* time for bed *sleepy face*, been up for waaay to long.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Whoo, very nice yet again! But still....

~Picture 1~

Why is the Priest kind of perched in front of the little village and next to the farm? Is he begging for food while summoning or something?? Maybe you should put him closer to the Graveyard.

~Picture 2~

You need a Church below that Graveyard :)

~Picture 3~

So the walls are big and the towers are tiny? Hmmmmm....

I too, am going to bed. I just upgraded my Halo Wraith at www.wc3sear.ch.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Thank you all very much for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated, and I WILL b using your suggestions, without you, my fortresses would look pretty bad:).

So please don't stop, as even if only one person comments on it and how it could be better, I still appreciate it:). So don't think I don't care, because I really love your feedback:).

I will be showing more soon, as I'm working on a Night Elf fortress right now.

C

Cyclical

Hehehe, I think a few more smiley faces would've gotten your point across better ;)

There's nothing I can say that Rinpun didn't: Priest is odd, Church for graveyard, Make towers bigger. Oh. And more houses. The ones that are there look great; now put down twice as many.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Does this look even to you? they are constantly moving around and using their different animations, so I couldn't tell. I placed them on a spot that wasn't terrained, so they are just on a non-terrained spot. I placed the Abominations in the back because they are huge, the peeps behind them wouldn't be able to see.

I'm using these formations just for a small cutscene in the beginning of the map, to explain the basic story.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
What are the things behind the Ghouls?

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Burning Archers. They're hidden archers and can only be accessed through WE Unlimited. I use them in my spawns and I have a hero based off that model, I might overdo it but they are just so darn cute:) Same with my precious little Abominations:).

Just look at those cute Abominations, doesn't it just make you wanna get in the game and hug them?:)

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Thank you Ryoko, that's a good idea. Yea I need to add more city buildings, and maybe make thema little more proper. They do look weird right now, since they're by themselves and I don't have many doodads around them.

Here's 2 more pictures of a Human Encampment which is used as a quest to raze the Undead Encampment nearby. I decided to use the Human formation for this Encampment. Tell me what you think of it, and what I should add. To me, it still doesn't look right but I can't seem to find what to add. This encampement is on a portion of the map that I haven't populated yet, so the only thing there is an arch of trees with an encampement . I might spread the trees out later, to fit into the rest of the map. Tell me if I overused the canopy trees, because I was trying for foresty look. I might do what Iron_Ian did with his The Tale of Archon series, as that's where most of my terraining inspiration came from. I like how he carressed the Orc and Undead encampment in a corner o the map so perfectly.

I'm still trying to find a way to make it feel like it's tucked away in the forst, since I can't use any of the sides or corners of the map as that's where the fortresses lay and it would be directly where the spawns go through.

S

Suicide_Note

for your abomination problem, why not file 2 rows down the sides? indstead of in the back.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.