General Man set house on fire while trying to kill a spider with a lighter

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
A man had to be rescued after setting the front of his house on fire while trying to kill a spider with a lighter.

Firefighters say the man, in his 40s, had been trying to set fire to the spider as it crawled up the front of the semi-detached property

But sparks reached material behind the cladding and caused a fire within the walls, shortly before midnight.

Three fire engines raced to the scene in Portsmouth, Hants, and found the man trying to put out the flames with a garden hose.

Last edited:

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I smell a genius.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I smell... fire!

The guy was stupid for trying to kill a spider with a lighter, but at least he had the sense to attempt to put it out with a somewhat viable method, rather than running around like a headless chicken :rolleyes:

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Hm... He tried to kill a spider.

So he never got the bastard? That makes it far worse.

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
This reminds me of a story I once heard (that is said the be true), of a man who found a rat in his house. Since he was burning something in his back yard, he figured he'd catch the rat and throw it on the fire, burning it alive.
Obviously the rat got out and back into the house, while burning, and managed to set the house on fire, burning it to the ground. =)

If there is a god (some people believe there is), he/she (it?) has a funny sense of humor.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
This reminds me of a story I once heard (that is said the be true), of a man who found a rat in his house. Since he was burning something in his back yard, he figured he'd catch the rat and throw it on the fire, burning it alive.
Obviously the rat got out and back into the house, while burning, and managed to set the house on fire, burning it to the ground. =)

If there is a god (some people believe there is), he/she (it?) has a funny sense of humor.

There was another incident that sounds quite like this one that also occured in Sweden.
It involves a cat, dynamite and a kitchen couch.
It is about the same:p

On topic:
Chasing a spider with a lighter has proved almost useless to me, since they are fast little bastards:( I use a lighter + a can of axe instead;)
But it is very important to not do it so that it can set fire to anything:D

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score

Heh, I heard that before too, the rat was like running around the house on fire and like crawling over the curtains and stuff. :D

Brilliant mind!

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
I used to have problems with mice and bugs, i got a cat. She eats both. :thup:

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I have a cat. She is incredibly lazy and has only ever successfully caught (or attempted to catch, for that matter) a mouse once.
There were two dead spiders sitting in plain site earlier and she didn't even sniff at them :rolleyes:

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
Heh...
The Article said:
Watch manager Steve Pearce said: "The man was trying to put the fire out with a garden hose when we arrived.
Hey, Mr. Genius! I think the water from the hose would have killed the spider, and been far safer then fire.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a cat. He's hyper active, and likes to leap off the fence, and catch birds.
Yes, he has succeeded in the past.

He's awesome though. =)

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Kill a spider with a lighter? I always have a hammer ready. It's in my desk drawer. Too arachnophobic to use a napkin.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I kill spiders in my sleep literally. Yum :p

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
15 years later they make a game about it LOL! :)

kill_it_with_fire.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.