(10) Zombie survival map (no name yet)

eliw00d

Reaction score
Zombie survival map (no name yet)

I've always really liked Zombie survival maps, such as: Afterlife, Zombie Survival Z, etc. These are great on their own, but I've always wanted more. I've been testing a lot of what I would do in a map like this out, and I think I'm finally going to follow through with it. These are my ideas so far:

Two modes: Timed and Sandbox
- Timed will be the story mode. The dead rise from their graves, infection spreads throughout the cities. But there is hope, the military is sending out a call for all survivors to hold out for a few days for them to arrive and purge the infected. They have already done so in the neighboring town and are on their way. Survive for 3 days, or a little over an hour in-game (tentative). Players will be scattered throughout the map and can band together to survive. You will have to break into stores to find ammo, weapons (mostly civilian) and other items. Food and water are not major concerns.
- Sandbox will be the weekend-long mode. More or less the same story and game play, except that the military is not coming. Heck, you could be all that's left. There is no time limit, survive for as long as you can by building shelters, hunting for food and cooking it over a campfire, and more. Much needed items lie in the stores, houses and other buildings in town, but the zombies are everywhere. Food and water play a big role in your survival. Will you die of starvation or thirst? Or will you be eaten alive? Or will you be the one doing the eating...

Weapons will be divided up into either melee (edged and blunt) or ranged (firearms for now). Firearms will be tiered so that a majority of what you find will be civilian weapons, such as hunting rifles, civilian versions of military weapons...what you'd find in a store, basically. But there will be rare firearms that could spawn due to events (a military convoy being overwhelmed).

Ammo will be divided up into magazines, clips, bullets and shells. For example, a Ruger Mini-14 will use standard box magazines (30 rounds + 1 in the chamber), but can also use double drum magazines (100 + 1). Vintage rifles, such as a Mosin-nagant will use stripper clips, etc. You will keep magazines no matter what, empty or partial, and will have the option to refill them with bullets/shells. That way, if you find a rare (and it will be rare) double drum magazine that holds 100 rounds, you can circulate it by refilling it later, or handing it to another player to refill it for you while you send more rounds down range. I haven't decided how long it should take to refill magazines.

Restarting in game will definitely be an option for both modes. I always hate remaking and losing the good players.

Anyways, what kinds of things would you want to see in a map of this theme?

V

Vlad Cepesh

hi...

Hi eliwood...

what a coincidence i started to build exactly the same map two days ago i had a similar thought, always wanted something more from a warcraft map. I played all kinds of maps and i never played one that sticked to me so i thought why shouldn't i build a map that was to my likeing? i started the world edit and got the same idea from a post apocaliptic cyber-pank frp (fantasy role play) in witch a group of players would try to survive in a urban zombie infested nightmare using their wits and cunning. I suggest that we join forces in makeing this map it would be best for both of us if you want? i have some past exp in world edit and still learning "trying to script the world" and i have many gameplay ideas so if you would like to join forces just post here ;)

with regards Vlad

eliw00d

Reaction score
vlad,

sure! i've been mapping since starcraft, and just recently started learning JASS. almost everything i mentioned above i have been able to pull off with JASS so far in my test map. ideas are always welcome!

V

Vlad Cepesh

:d

Cool... agreed :D

lol fast reply... how far did you script this thing?

eliw00d

Reaction score
i've just been toying with JASS and seeing what i'm able to do, so far. my brother is going to do the terrain, and i was going to do the scripting. i've got most of my ideas down, but i came here hoping to get more and maybe some help. what specific ideas do you have?

V

Vlad Cepesh

ideas

here is one:

Fatigue...
think of it :
always stressed out knowing that your ass is on the line almost no sleep cose of screams and ghostly howls. i made in my map so heroes can black out if they are overstressed and too tired made a function of -sleep and -wake and made mana of the players hero to be the gauge for fatigue cose actions require mana to activate :)

one more:

made gold and lumber into food and water and will make a function to make them periodically drop and if they drop to certain lvl then the hero would be affected somehow

eliw00d

Reaction score
i was going to have a hunger/thirst/energy system, and each one would have different effects if you were bordering 0 for too long. each one would be based off the rule of 3: can't go 3 weeks without food; 3 days without water. i was thinking that for every week your PC starves, you lose some strength, which results in lower HP. for every day your PC is dehydrated, you lose intelligence, so your stamina (MP) is lower. still trying to figure out how energy affects the PCs.

V

Vlad Cepesh

about energy

hmm...

if you think about it in real life you are being drained of your energy trough the time you are awake so you should sleep daily or you will feel the drop of your reaction speed and strength following your eventual collapse of exertion so i implemented the same system in my map

if your mana drops to less then 10-15% then some kind of slow ensues
if your mana drops to 0 coma ensues

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
Don't make it too complicated, You get into things like fatigue, hunger, temperature.. it becomes too complicated to stay alive.

I'd love to help, I've always been a fan of zombie games. :eek:

eliw00d

Reaction score
great! help and ideas are always welcome. :)

realism will be balanced with fun for a good mix of gameplay. honestly, the only big concern will be water. you can last without food for 3 weeks, that is a long time in game! but you should stay hydrated and if you band together with other players you should take turns sleeping.

my question is, how long do you think in-game hours should last? i was thinking of 24 minute long days, so 1 in game hour is 1 minute. is that too long? too short?

V

Vlad Cepesh

about the hunger and thirst system :

i thought of makeing items that give gold points ( in this instance food ) and items that give lumber ( water ) and to be perishable and stackable so they would use only one space in the inventory and to ensure that the players would not abuse ( stack up so much food/water that they can last for months ) i thought of makeing some functions that would give bad buffs to PC if it ate too much like nosia and barfing ( function that would reduce gold/lumber )

V

Vlad Cepesh

i think we should make a player chose how long their day should last

-fast (normal warcraft speed (480 sec per day))
-normal (duble the normal)
-slow (quadruple the normal)

p.s. another suggestion... we should organize a team (to agree upon who will do what) to do this, to make it epic :)

p.s.s http://warcraftmodding.wordpress.com/

eliw00d

Reaction score
definitely! i was thinking of using the villager men as the PCs and modifying them to have the animations of the marine for firearms. that way there could be separate models used for different weapons, each with a different animation set. i am able to do this, but not very well, so if we could find someone to help, that would be great. i can also model firearms, but i have no idea how to make them attachments and i can't skin.

V

Vlad Cepesh

try to sign up to my blog and we will discuss about this map ok?
and we will upload the map here later to credit this site :)

eliw00d

Reaction score
we can discuss it here, in private messages and what not. it'd be nice for other people to know what is going on with the map.

V

Vlad Cepesh

i know but we need a separate space to organize all ideas and work trust me forums are not good for this reasons:
- no categories, after a while we will be swimming in a bunch of unneeded posts and pm's cose i'm planning to make this map big
- it's good to be your boss, adimn privileges are usefull
- shareing files is tough here, cose we are working on a single file and it would be rough to find the appropriate file in the mass of posts

and we could always update some Thread here to recruit people or for people to post ideas and comments...

you get the picture?

eliw00d

Reaction score
i set up a forum and we can discuss the map in more detail there:

forum.medpackstudios.com

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Can you put some screenshots up?

I'd love to see how this is. I like z00mbie maps, too! :D

eliw00d

Reaction score
link to the forum should be working now, i noticed it wasn't yesterday.

Can you put some screenshots up?

I'd love to see how this is. I like z00mbie maps, too! :D

there really isn't much to show at this stage, hopefully we can have something soon!

V

Vlad Cepesh

I registered successfully at the forum just to let you know...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.