A 3rd-Party DotA; Will it stand a chance?

Would you give a game like this a try? (Please also leave a comment)

• Total voters

Mittsies

Reaction score
NOTE TO ADMINS! I know this is technically against the rules, but it isn't REALLY about DotA, it's rather different. I really need to hear the words of others on my situation, so I can only hope this topic doesn't get closed. Thanks in advanced, and, I will understand if the thread gets closed either way.

I have yet to utter a word of this until now... but since around summer of last year, I have been working on an AOS that greatly takes after DotA. Some may say it's DotA if you cleaned out all the heroes, items, features, and gameplay modes; and put in new ones. Some may say its just a lousy rip-off of DotA Allstars. I can assure you that even though it takes after the game, it is very different as there will be certain features in the game such as events that temporarily turn the battle field into a game of Capture the Flag, simple missions that you can take after for extra gold, and even certain items that can only be obtained through the completion of missions.

However, I am uncertain as to weather or not my game will stand a chance. Despite the fact that it's a well designed map, I doubt many people will play it, and I'll bet there will be plenty of DotA fans who will try to say I'm attempting to steal DotA Allstars's spotlight; which isn't my intention at all. I simply wanted to recreate DotA with my own heroes, items, modes, and features. And, well, I did.

Would you, personally, try out a 3rd-Party DotA-like game; or simply not even bother and just assume it'll be crap by comparison?

Darkchaoself

What is this i dont even
Reaction score
I guess this wont be closed, unless someone says anything about liking/Disliking DotA.

Off Topic:
And did you create Shadow Maul Wars?

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
I would try it if i was to be provided with cool screenshots and a easy to learn but hard to master type of gameplay. Although, if its basically just replaced heroes and items i think it will need more some more features which help it stand out because the standard 3 lane AOS has been done way too much.

Mittsies

Reaction score
Off Topic:
And did you create Shadow Maul Wars?
Yeah, that was my first map. I had some good times testing it with friends and playing it with online regulars.

I would try it if i was to be provided with cool screenshots and a easy to learn but hard to master type of gameplay. Although, if its basically just replaced heroes and items i think it will need more some more features which help it stand out because the standard 3 lane AOS has been done way too much.
I agree, it's an overused concept, but that's why I have plenty of unique features to keep it interesting. Mostly I'm just concerned about people not wanting play the game because they'll think it's just a rip-off of DotA Allstars.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I doubt it.
Depends what my friends say.
I don't really like Dota or Dota style maps though. But i don't want to get into too much details or this thread might be closed.

Nudl9

Reaction score
Have you ever tried other great AoS maps such as: Desert of Exile, Age of Myths or Legends of Eternity?
I suggest you play them, might give you a few ideas. :)

Darkchaoself

What is this i dont even
Reaction score
Yeah, that was my first map. I had some good times testing it with friends and playing it with online regulars.

Doooood! That is one of my top 3 maps, and im an Rpg guy, and i rarely play mauls, Your a god to me xD

Best Maul or Maul Wars Ever!

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Doooood! That is one of my top 3 maps, and im an Rpg guy, and i rarely play mauls, Your a god to me xD

I played SMW once, but i prefer MMW.
It just seems to have better towers and creeps...
and it works better..

SMW had that annoying area on the side. (I made a HUGE maze there though :p)

Arcane

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I don't want this thread closed so I won't say a word about how much DotA sucks and how you shouldn't even be basing your ideas off- WHOOPS!

Ok, alright, forget what I just said. :p

However, I am uncertain as to weather or not my game will stand a chance.

Who cares? You should make maps because you like to, not because you want to "win".

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
^which means you really are wanting to 'steal' some spotlight

I agree with Sil3nt.
I don't care if the concept looks like DotA as long as it has something unique and interesting that keeps it..... interesting.

Mittsies

Reaction score

Glad you liked it, but I eventually stopped because my friends got bored of it, and I only made it so I could play with them anyways.

I played SMW once, but i prefer MMW.
It just seems to have better towers and creeps...
and it works better..

SMW had that annoying area on the side. (I made a HUGE maze there though :p)
I heard a lot about MMW, I heard it was rather good. Never got the chance to play it though. Like I said SMW was my first map, so I had expected it to have a LOT of problems, especially since it wasn't exactly well thought-out. Just my creativity flapped into a map.

Who cares? You should make maps because you like to, not because you want to "win".
^which means you really are wanting to 'steal' some spotlight

I agree with Sil3nt.
I don't care if the concept looks like DotA as long as it has something unique and interesting that keeps it..... interesting.

Well the point is I'm not trying to make a map that will out-do DotA or anything, but I guess I really should just release it because I'd like to. Thanks for the input, this really helps make my decision a lot clearer.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
First of all, it's not called "DotA", it's called "AoS".
And yes, it does matter - name it "DotA" and it definitely won't stand a chance.
Also, it wouldn't really be "3rd party" as your "product" wouldn't have anything to do with the specific DotA Allstars map.

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
^Maybe he meant it to be like DotA in game modes, systems, or something so that it could be called DotA instead of just some AoS.

But you still need unique things.

duyen

Reaction score
First of all, it's not called "DotA", it's called "AoS".
And yes, it does matter - name it "DotA" and it definitely won't stand a chance.
Also, it wouldn't really be "3rd party" as your "product" wouldn't have anything to do with the specific DotA Allstars map.

Actually DotA and DotA Allstars are completely different maps made by completely different creators, DotA came first before Allstars.

Demi666

Reaction score
thanks to: aznsteph, Demi666, EatShrooms, Insane!, massinfantry

not myself but i thank myself for realising it would be a waste of time to make a ripoff from dota

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
Think about this...and only this.

Everyone tries something some time.

I personally would play ANY map. I would find some way to have fun with the situation and enjoy it. I also especially like AoS type maps because they are fun to play. This is due to the custom heros that are in them.

I would definitely think it would stand a chance. Then again you can go to the custom game list and see Dota a trillion times. Why is this? Because people are scared of trying something new.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I really don't think many would play a map called 'DotA' without 'Allstars' right after it.
I suggest changing its name. Also, terrain is a big issue with players out there. If you have the average DotA terrain (Like in DotA:AS), people will either love it, or hate it. Most likely hate it.

Get a few people to like your map, test it here and there, etc. Get a site (or thread, w/e) with screenshots, as a 'free sample' of what they will be playing. If it's as big as you say, Downloading would take long, and loading would take another long time, thus discouraging people from even start your game.

Also, if your map is very similar (Terrain wise probably) people would most likely want to play All-Stars, and not some 'rip off'. Belive it or not, battle.net is very stereotypical, taking in note that it has set its own genres, and DotA:AS has given a bad name to most AoS's.

As for the spotlight, who cares. If it is really that good, people will play it no matter how many DotA:AS games are being hosted.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> Actually DotA and DotA Allstars are completely different maps made by completely different creators, DotA came first before Allstars.
Judging by the first post, he was referring to Allstars.
Also, you're wrong, it's not a completely different map, Allstars is based on the original DotA, but heavily modified.

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
A map that will be played semi-frequently must be simple to learn, whith some type of imbalance that makes certain heroes overpowered.

For example, Aeon of Strife has some INCERDIBLY powerful heroes, while also having some really poor heroes.

A really balanced game that takes skill and time to learn will not be played as often as a game where there are a few good heroes and a bunch of crappy ones. It's true in other games as well. In SSBM there are only a few characters people commenly play for tournament. In Soul Calibur 3 there are only 3 common tournament characters. In Marval vs. Capcom 2 there are only a few common heroes that can do infinate loops.

Meanwhile, games like Guilty Gear: Accent Core are hidden from the spotlight while having better play and much more balance.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.