Any TD Balancing Techniques?

Pyropenguins

Reaction score
I am mainly a RoC player but use the TFT editor. I have made a few mini games for my clan which have become fairly popular: mainly just small mazes and what nots that we haven't published yet. I want to move into a TD. I have the terrain and all that finished and now will move onto creeps and towers.
What I am wondering now is if there are any formula(s) i can use to balance them i as work or will i just need to resort to many testing (a must even with the formula(s).) I just want to know if there is a simple way of making it semi balanced before my clan and I test it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Joccaren

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Well, normally you will have one weak fast firing tower and one strong slow firing tower as your primary towers that your able to build. Make the first wave of creeps able to be killed in one shot from any tower, second wave two shots from weak, one shot from strong ect. Then, test your TD. If you can win it, make the creeps harder. You are not meant to be able to win the first time you play, otherwise it is just to easy. Then, keep making them slightly harder until you can't beat them and go back 1 or two levels. You go back one or two levels in difficulty as you have played this map often and are now practically a pro so if you can't win it, no-one can. This should keep a challenging level of play for new players, but not so hard that no-one can win it.

for bosses, normally just spawn one per path and make them as strong as the fifth wave of the next set of waves (five waves infront of the boss)

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not that I've ever balanced a TD, but here's what I'd do:
Work out an average gold:damage ratio for the towers.
Work out how much gold the player could potentially gather for each level.
Find the 'damage' for the potential gold, and set the creeps HP to that number.

Of course, you may want to raise it a little due to tower abilities, speed, armour, creep abilities and mazing in general; though that should give you a general idea.
Once you've gotten a somewhat basic idea, you should play through the map (with other people preferably, to explore different tactics, builds, etc) to see which levels are too hard or easy. Then adjust those levels.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.