Sci/Tech Artificial tornado plan to generate electricity

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Most of us know that tornadoes are unpredictable, uncontrollable, and dangerous. But a Canadian engineer thinks they could be the future of electricity generation. He wants to make electricity from artificial tornadoes.

Louis Michaud, a retired petroleum engineer in Sarnia, Ontario, plans to use the waste heat from conventional power plants to create an "atmospheric vortex engine" - a small, controlled tornado that would drive turbines and generate electricity. "I'm confident that we could control these things," he says. Michaud also thinks solar powered tornados generated using the sun's heat could also work.

His latest design is a circular wall 200 meters across and 100 meters high without a roof. Air carrying the waste heat would be blown in from vents on the sides, spinning around the walls into a vortex that becomes just like a real tornado. Once started, the vortex would draw in more hot air from vents in the wall, pulling it past turbines and generating electricity.

Michaud calculates that a vortex engine of this size would create a tornado about 50 meters in diameter and generate between 50 and 500 MW of electricity.

Last edited:

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
"Artifical Tornado gone out of control, destroying Canada. World Celebrates"
:D j/k
This could get us somewhere.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
This is what I came up after reading the article...
"...Artificial Tornadoes vs Natural Tornadoes. Who will take the chamionship home? The Home team or the Away team? I'm Mark Kennings, ESPN Sports, back to you, TheHelper. Stay tuned."

I can't translate well.:(

Lunarios

Reaction score
This is sort of a questionable technology, but it does have it's Pros. I mean, really what else are you going to do with the heat produced in your toaster?

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
No..just no...We already have enough uncontrollable sh** in the world..we don't need people making more. :thdown:

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Religion.
Genes.
Discrimination.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
politicians.

Dan

Reaction score
little tornadoes would be awesome though, because of their ability to gain momentum and continue going. Once you could start a mini, controlled tornado, inside a huge cylinder, it would then continue spinning because of momentum and would suck it's power source, which would be excess heat. A large startup energy would be needed probably, but then, bam, your tornado would probably spin indefinately as long as conditions could be regulated. Besides, you can't control nuclear power plants that blow up and irradiate towns within a few hundred mile radius, why would a little tornado be worse then that? at least it wouldn't blow up, it would just go free for a few miles and disintegrate. Anyways, I think we are talking very little tornadoes here. Cool ideas.

Dan

Reaction score
Don't forget WoW

Though I do love WoW, I aggree. Unfortunately you don't see level 70 shamen running around in the real world blowing up things. Now THAT would be a disaster. But soooo cool. XD

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Religion - I don't think I need to explain this.

Genes - We have no control, and people are stereotypical about these. It gives the gender, phenotype (physical characteristics) and even gives advantage to or from certain diseases.

Discrimination - Something we can't control, but it happens all the time.

Now, lol why?

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
little tornadoes would be awesome though, because of their ability to gain momentum and continue going. Once you could start a mini, controlled tornado, inside a huge cylinder, it would then continue spinning because of momentum and would suck it's power source, which would be excess heat. A large startup energy would be needed probably, but then, bam, your tornado would probably spin indefinately as long as conditions could be regulated. Besides, you can't control nuclear power plants that blow up and irradiate towns within a few hundred mile radius, why would a little tornado be worse then that? at least it wouldn't blow up, it would just go free for a few miles and disintegrate. Anyways, I think we are talking very little tornadoes here. Cool ideas.

Tornadoes grow in size when it reaches outside conditions..

I guess being sucked into a swirling vortex of doom is better than dying of radiation.
c3c6968e551476fa3f2d535ec2950ca350179045.jpg

Also it's entertaining to watch =P

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Worse that can happenis that they will destroy their own labs...

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
That is why they would be better off creating a smaller minimature-sized dust devils. Better than tornadoes, as it lacks the power it needs to destroy, wind to pick things up except for dusts, and small pebbles, and other factors not equal to tornadoes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.