Changing Weapon Types during game play

Twilight33

Reaction score
hello im trying to work on a custom hero game and i want to be able to allow my players to select what special attack types they want if any once they choose their hero IE. Bounce, Splash, Line etc. I've been looking in abilities and upgrades and haven't found a way to alter a units attack type during game play. Is this something thats going to require heavy custom scripting or am i missing something?

Jazradel

Helping people do more by doing less.
Reaction score
Your going to end up creating a lot of different units. No way to have that many variations with scripts.

It is possible to switch between two but using orb effects that toggle between attack 1 and attack 2.

Twilight33

Reaction score
so your saying instead of trying to alter the weapon type i should just make a instance of every hero with each attack type in the object editor and then give them them the version they want during game play? what kind of file size issues might this cause? i plan on having around 16 or so heroes to choose from in the initial version of the map.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> i should just make a instance of every hero with each attack type in the object editor
Yes, you should.

> what kind of file size issues might this cause?
Extremely minor, or lets just say none.
But it will slightly effect your map's loading time...a couple of seconds, again very minor.

Twilight33

Reaction score
another question is their a way to get a barrage effect thats based off the characters actual damage like cleave does?

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Well barrage is based off the actual damage AFAIK...
So this tutorial might as well help you.

Twilight33

Reaction score
AFAIK? Whats that mean?

i've already looked at the tutorial.

i'm looking at barrage in the Object Editor and it has no way to set the damage the way i want it. it has a "Data - Damage per target" line but thats a fixed amount completely independant of the heroes actual attack damage.

Jazradel

Helping people do more by doing less.
Reaction score
AFAIK = As far as I know

Data - Damage per target is dependant on the heroes damage, not fixed.

Twilight33

Reaction score
so i would set the "data - damage per target" to what?

i'm lacking an understanding of exactly what the "data - damage per target" field does. is it bonus damage or dealing the heroes damage to a maximium of what the field is set to?

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> so I would set the "data - damage per target" to what?

The default will do.
If you put the ability on a Hero, it will be ignored anyway and simply use the damage the Hero is doing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.