World China: Chinese Clone Company Will Sue Apple Over iPhone 5 Design

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
The clone manufacturer who released an iPhone 5 knock-off last week now says that they will sue Apple if they release the real iPhone 5 in China. Surreal? Hilarious? Pathetic? All of the above.

Hong Kong-based GooPhone, who designed their cheapo Android phone after the alleged Apple iPhone 5 parts leaked during the last few months, has a very rational argument: they have released their clone first, so everything that comes after that must be a copy, even if they actually made their phone after the parts of a phone that hasn't been released yet but that everyone believes is the real thing.

In other words: since their clone was released first, that makes it the original phone. The iPhone 5 is the actual clone, not theirs. Makes sense? Of course it doesn't. Who cares! It's fun!

I just hope Samsung is taking notes and hurries up to release an iPhone 5 clone as soon as possible. Come on, Samsung—you got one week! You can totally do this. [Goophone via GizChina via Cult of Mac]

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
If this actually works, it will be a great day for androids around the world :O

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
If this actually works, it will be a great day for androids around the world :O
If and only if. A lot of skepticisms about this, as it seems to be an easy case for Apple. Nevertheless, it's a pretty interesting article.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess they could only sue in china or could they?
So the worst thing for apple will be that they cannot sell the iphone 5 directly in china.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
That's what he means, iPeez.

At any rate, the law suit won't go through. There's no way it will.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Hahahahahahahahaha, that's pretty funny; probably announced that to get their brand name out on the interwebs but still funny.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Is iPhone / Apple such a popular brand there? I thought china preferred their own brands..?

It's not because it's popular, rather it's how large your market is. China is the world's most populated country, follow by India. If you were to sell newer iPhones in China and India, you will rake in more money than selling elsewhere alone.

Source: Business roommate of mine.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Chances are about half the iPhones and other Apple stuff purchased in China was manufactured by a local, smarter pirate company.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Chances are about half the iPhones and other Apple stuff purchased in China was manufactured by a local, smarter pirate company.
Twist: Foxconn hired the pirate company to do work on iPhone 5. The hired company split into Android R&D and Apple R&D. The suing company is the Android R&D.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I guess they could only sue in china or could they?
So the worst thing for apple will be that they cannot sell the iphone 5 directly in china.
So basically they can't sell to the largest potential market in the world.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.