Clarify my understanding and use of Jass/vJass

DarkDefiance

Reaction score
alright i use jass as custom scripts which im still not very good at nor understand all that well probably because i usually have everyone else do it for me and im new to this website anyways. However i know JASS is apart of World Editor but i keep hearing well youd be able to do a lot more with V JASS which what ive been told by 2 out of 3 people is something unlike JASS that i need to download and keep downloading new patchs. Keep in mind im on a non compatable apple computer. Can someone explain to me more so the difference between JASS(which im not good at either) and VJASS and what is all this stuff im hearing about downloads required and errors from the downloads. thanks for your help and clarity in explanation.
+rep for people who do an exceptional job at clarifying and explaining.

Edit: have read tutorials but still fuzzy on uses functions variables and programs used, such as jass craft and what not including supposably downloading v jass?

DarkDefiance

Reaction score
these programs JASS Craft JASSHelper and what not are not available for in anything but .exe this is windows recognizable only. You can download them on apple computers however they are completely worthless because you cant run them on apples, there never has been such things as a working package for apple and ive checked all the cites and always never works.

Edit: I have downloaded Jassnewgen1.5c i have downloaded JASShelper1.903 or whatever i have downloaded Jass craft but always the same crap. There is no file to open this under blah blah this doesnt work on apples. blizzard must have done something to make it compatable with apples because they programmed the game to be run on apples as well.
+rep for useful help

Frozenhelfir

set Gwypaas = Guhveepaws
Reaction score
these programs JASS Craft JASSHelper and what not are not available for in anything but .exe this is windows recognizable only. You can download them on apple computers however they are completely worthless because you cant run them on apples, there never has been such things as a working package for apple and ive checked all the cites and always never works.

Edit: I have downloaded Jassnewgen1.5c i have downloaded JASShelper1.903 or whatever i have downloaded Jass craft but always the same crap. There is no file to open this under blah blah this doesnt work on apples. blizzard must have done something to make it compatable with apples because they programmed the game to be run on apples as well.
+rep for useful help

Jassnewgen isn't made by blizzard, neither is JASShelper. They are both 3rd party programs. The only way you could probably get them working is probably by using the windows thing... i think its called bootcamp. If that doesn't work -- you're probably SOL.

DarkDefiance

Reaction score
but the point of all these programs is to make JASS easier to use correct. so i can still use it it will just be that much harder for me to do it.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Indeed.

The biggest annoyances of not having vJass are the lack of being current with the community, the need for the variable editor and udg_'s, management of large map headers, and the existance of froodlenutzkying InitTrig functions. Other than those it's not really that much of a pain.

GetTriggerUnit-

DogEntrepreneur
Reaction score
Well a map in Jass or Gui is not really efficient. vJass is very recommended. Even dota uses some vJass extensions.

WE will always work on apples but not the other programs like NewGen or Jasshelper.

92% - Windows/Vista
7% - Apple
1% - Linnux

>Doesn't worth to do it for other 8%

Edit: You'll be able, but it will take more time.
You atleast could do it of Jass :)
Jass still can do good spells because it's easily MUI.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is there any actual source for those numbers, or is it just some random bullshit you made up?

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Presumably made up, particularily considering that even the first sentence in the post is wrong.

Though, roughly 90% windows seems accurate to what I've seen, so maybe not.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, the first sentence is complete BS.

Though 92, 7 and 1 seem quite precise. I'm eager to know where these numbers come from. :p

GetTriggerUnit-

DogEntrepreneur
Reaction score
>Though 92, 7 and 1 seem quite precise. I'm eager to know where these numbers come from.
French tv show that I watch sometimes.

>kk, first phrase is bullshit.

>Dota uses vJass Extensions. I've found it on www.playdota.com in mechanic section. :)
Some spells couldn't be mui w/o vJass.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Some spells couldn't be mui w/o vJass.
Such as...?

Anything that can be done with regular JASS can be done in vJass, often without being THAT much more difficult.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Not true, unless you have some other precompiler thingy than JassHelper, but without any tools its not possible to do all vJass stuff with normal Jass.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> French tv show that I watch sometimes.
There are TV Shows out there that tell you what percentage of WE users use Windows? o_O

Although vJass makes things very easy, Jass spells can also be made MUI very easily.
DotA also uses/used Local Handle Vars. As shit as they are, they are a form of attachment to make things MUI.

Frozenhelfir

set Gwypaas = Guhveepaws
Reaction score
> French tv show that I watch sometimes.
There are TV Shows out there that tell you what percentage of WE users use Windows? o_O

I think hes talking about the market shares, not how many people use WE. The argument follows that since so few people use X operating system, it isn't worth developing for it.

Viikuna said:
Not true, unless you have some other precompiler thingy than JassHelper, but without any tools its not possible to do all vJass stuff with normal Jass.

That is completely false. vJass offers syntax changes, not functional changes. vJass compiles into Jass, as Wc3 will only recognize Jass. You can make stuff like scopes and structs in Jass, but it is more of a hassle.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
>vJass offers syntax changes, not functional changes.

Jass doesn't allow freeform globals. vJass does. Freeform globals are more valuable than even structs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.