Custom Unit Shoots Weird Orbs Instead of Missiles

EvilCreature

Reaction score
So I made a custom unit in the Starcraft 2 editor using this tutorial http://www.thehelper.net/threads/data-editor-a-vital-guide.151813/ by Siretu.

Everything was going well. I finished the part one of the tutorial and went ahead and tested my unit. I had my unit to shoot the photon cannon missile (as instructed) but when I tested it out, it instead shot a random orb that was the missing model thing, not the photon cannon missile.

Can someone please help? Any ideas as to what I did wrong? Let me know if you want me to send you a copy of the map that has the unit.

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
hmmm - it would seem like that the actor does not apply to the unit.
You should find the "Attack Missile" actor (It would most likely end with ...Attack Missile, and be listed under your units actors) and set the Token to your weapon unit. (It's the little box in the bottom of the data page)

EvilCreature

Reaction score
hmmm - it would seem like that the actor does not apply to the unit.
You should find the "Attack Missile" actor (It would most likely end with ...Attack Missile, and be listed under your units actors) and set the Token to your weapon unit. (It's the little box in the bottom of the data page)
I tried this, but it didn't work. I then adjusted some more settings, none of which did anything either.

Also, keep in mind that I didn't make the tutorial unit "Sam" but instead made my own unit called a "Fusion Hydralisk". But, I followed all the same steps, it was the same thing only with different models and names. Also, the name of the weapon is "Fusion Blast".

Also, I just now noticed (because the "User" box wasn't checked until now) that I was getting errors, here are the errors I got when I attacked with my custom unit:

USER:[ 11 2] Scope[FusionBlast. Unit] Unable to create unit actor. Creating failback sphere unit.

USER:[ 12 4] CActorAction[FusionBlastAction] Data configuration error. ActionImpact message arrived before [ 12 4] CActorAction[FusionBlastAction] commenced.

Any ideas?

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
As you might've figured out by now, the sphere is the default model that the game uses if for some reasons it cant use the correct one.

Here's a couple of thoughts:

1. The projectile(which currently looks like a sphere) is a unit. Find the unit in the data editor's unit tab and make sure it has an actor in the list with related objects. If it does, check the art - model field and make sure the model is correct.

2. If you tried 1. without success, try making a copy of the map and redo the weapons part of the tutorial, making sure to follow all the instructions.

3. I don't recognise the second error message and it leads me to believe it has something to do with the new 1.5 patch. The patch changed and broke a lot of stuff, especially actor-related. My tutorial might have become outdated with the latest patch. If this is the case, it is definitely something I intend to fix. However, since I'm currently sitting in the Bangkok airport, it'll have to wait.

EvilCreature

Reaction score
As you might've figured out by now, the sphere is the default model that the game uses if for some reasons it cant use the correct one.

Here's a couple of thoughts:

1. The projectile(which currently looks like a sphere) is a unit. Find the unit in the data editor's unit tab and make sure it has an actor in the list with related objects. If it does, check the art - model field and make sure the model is correct.

2. If you tried 1. without success, try making a copy of the map and redo the weapons part of the tutorial, making sure to follow all the instructions.

3. I don't recognise the second error message and it leads me to believe it has something to do with the new 1.5 patch. The patch changed and broke a lot of stuff, especially actor-related. My tutorial might have become outdated with the latest patch. If this is the case, it is definitely something I intend to fix. However, since I'm currently sitting in the Bangkok airport, it'll have to wait.
Making that weapon was a pain in the butt. xD I think it's related to 1.5 patch though because there were some MINOR steps that I had to skip since the option for them was completly gone. Litterally, the window for the option just wasn't there. I forgot to mention this in my first post, sorry about that. :L

Also, by MINOR steps, I meant some steps that were related to sounds I think. I don't think it was anything related to models or actors. The biggest problem though, is that in 1.5, Blizzard changed the way the layout for the Data editor looks, thus making it a lot harder.

I'll see about trying the weapon again but I may not get around to it.

blastintime

Reaction score
You should post all the steps you skipped, cuz I just went thru it and I did all steps, but for some you gotta look in different places. like the field Target: Impact Map, is now called Combat: Impact Map etc.

EvilCreature

Reaction score
You should post all the steps you skipped, cuz I just went thru it and I did all steps, but for some you gotta look in different places. like the field Target: Impact Map, is now called Combat: Impact Map etc.
I the only steps I can't get are the sound steps, but I don't think sound matters when it comes to missing models.

Also, I just tried again, this time starting from scratch, and I still got the missing model error. Any ideas?

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
Hmmm - well I dont know what you are doing wrong, but when I need a weapon, I'm simply too lazy to do it from scratch - so I just dublicate another weapon, this is mostly the photon cannon weapon - then you just make sure you dublicate the missile actor, the attack actor, the weapon unit and the damage and launch missile effects.

I know you would learn some good basics from doing it from scratch, but if you do it like I do - you will also at some point understand why it works as it does. You can look into how the weapons already there, are working and from that modify them to your needs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.