DotA Troops v1.00

How would you rate this map?

• Good, just work on heroes and terrain.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Ok, but is unbalaced and boring

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Not good at all, this map needs to be deleted.

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
hey even if u have mercs....you still cant top dota, especially on it's triggers, icons, gameplays, balance, lag, and certain bugs, that's why for me no AoS map can top Dota

if there is....i would like to have the link of the map and test it...

Tons IMO...

eg:

Ever heard of HOSK? (Hands Of Sorrow Knight...)

Just in my opinion, though for some nothing can top DotA, as you said, but I don't like DotA... :cool:

johnnyfire

Reaction score
Thank you again worldofdeath is it possible to +rep you again, i was wondering if i should add more mercs. About the heroes, I just haven't gotten around to puting my own in so far ive just made two but I didn't put them in taverns yet.

Also, I have never heard of HOSK either, but now im curious and whats IMO, i dont use abbreviations alot

C

Cookie

IMO means 'In My Opinion' :D

Things that I would do to make your map better:
1. Add different terrain, a whole new tilseset would be good, something like Sunken Ruins to give the map some character. Remember that nice and well planned terrain is a key factor to a fun map :D

2. Custom Heroes and units! Its what people want these days, completely new heroes with lots of eye candy, and a good pvp system, where you feel a sense of greatness when you pk another teams member, its great!:p

3. Custom Spells: Theres one thing that I have learnt about custom spells. Its hard, but the more effort you put in to them, the better they become!

I understand that it is hard to create a map with these 3 points all well done, with good triggers etc... but this is what DotA has done, which is why its such a successful game. If you can do these things well, then your well on your way to making a good map :D

johnnyfire

Reaction score
I think i will add new terrain and i definately will add new heroes. in spells you are right that is the single hardest thing and why i only have 2 heroes so far for the next version. But in this one, for in map info: modes of play you can see 5 different taunts that apear as floating text when a player's hero kills another player's hero, try it out.

johnnyfire

Reaction score
tides of blood? how many people do you have working on it, and why are you posting here if you do not have suggestions for the map, or do you?

Pyrogasm

There are some who would use any excuse to ban me.
Reaction score
I'm not working on it. It's just Cassiel as far as I know.

And it was just in response to what waaaks! sai; I happen to abhor DotA.

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
No offense Johnny, but you're gonna have to do a hell of a lot better than just adding mercs to it to top Dota. They spent 2 years on Dota. Then it has been constantly upgraded to get where it is.

I think you've started off on the wrong foot. Instead of making a map to "top Dota", why don't you make a map that you enjoy and want to play? Just adding mercs to a Dota template is similar to nerfing Dota or ampping a hero in Dota. It's just selfish, and the map won't get very far because of that. I'd be surprised if you even played the completed map a month after you're finished.

I'm not meaning to upset you, I'm just thinking you'd be better off (time, energy and knowledge wise) doing something else than trying to "top Dota". Take my comments or leave them.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
haha i agree with chovynz, unless your truly passonate and know what the public wants to "top" dota then keep working at it, but so far it just looks like you think a minor feature would add a whole new level of fun it it, if you want to top dota you need innovative ideas, patience and a good and diverse team, DotAs bin at works ever since RoC and didnt become popular untill the variant All Stars came out. If you are passonate and know what your doing, then keep it up, and maby soem day you would "top" dota, but if your not i suggest you drop the projct now, and i mean NOW... and adding 1 or 2 new features is not passion, passion (in this case) is when you ultimatly chage the engin so much that only the bare back bones of dota remains.

johnnyfire

Reaction score
who ever said i was trying to top dota... i know i didnt, that would be crazy, i cant afford to spend that kind of time and effort, ive only worked on this 18 hours all told over two weeks.
-i am making this for myself to enjoy, all i want to know is if there some balancing issues or glitches. i know it sux compared to the real dota because i am not trying to top dota, i am only trying to see if this is balanced and fun to play for people other than me. im sorry if i confused any of you

-if you have suggestions on how i could improve my map, that do not compare it to dota allstars, then send them
-you can compare it to the dota template because i dont want it to be to similar considering thats what i used to get started

chovynz

Reaction score
who ever said i was trying to top dota... i know i didnt,...

This map is better than the original DotA ...blahblahblah...So please tell me everything thats wrong with the map, but dont just say its bad

Case in point.

Look, I know I'm sounding harsh. And I don't want you to quit wc3 modding because I'm giving you a hard time about this particular map. I am only responding to what you've already said.

Ok, here's something that might help you. Good job on trying to do this. I think it's a little (ok, waaay heaps) ambitious for you. However you've given it a go. That's a bigger step than many people take. Don't stop there. You can do better, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else you make. You can make great maps! Just learn some things more things first. Read lots of tutorials. Most importantly, experiment with the editor. Ask lots of questions here.

After all that... My advice to you would be drop this project. Go play with the editor for awhile, and see what you can come up with.

As with all my comments you can take them or leave them.

Leo

Reaction score
Wow seriously, lay off the guy, its his map, you don't have to like it.

Chovynz: you first stated you had no intention of even trying his map based on the concept. Despite this fact, you have managed to post 3 times in this thread even though the thread creator asked only people who have tried the map to post.
Each time you were critical,without giving any indication of if you bothered to try the map. Since you never said that you did, I can only assume that you didn't since your first post said you would not try it.

Johnnyfire: make whatever you feel like, if dota with mercs is what you like then make it. i think your map needs a lot of work. What i would suggest you do is keep playing around with the map, just to learn the basics of editor, then once youve built up a lot of knowledge start over with a new map, and make that one great.

chovynz

Reaction score
Leo: Thanks for you comments. :) You're right. I don't have to like it and I don't. The problem with too many people is that they want to create awesome maps without putting in the work.

Believe it or not, my comments are actually helpful. If someone reads that kind of posts, one of at least two things will happen. 1) They will give up and leave map making. In which case we will have one less egotistical map maker. Or 2) they will not give up and they will not go away. In that case, eventually they will become great map makers!

If you read my last post, hopefully you'll see that I'm not being down putting, just hard. You also assume too much. For the record I have tried it. The reason I haven't written anything about this map is because there are so many problems with it. If Johnny really wants to do this I'll surely help. But I want to see what his reaction to the comments is first.

@Johnny: This map can't be helped but to be compared to Dota Allstars because you haven't done enough changes to the template to make it different enough from Dota Allstars.

johnnyfire

Reaction score
I said it was better than dota because i liked the idea and think about it would anybody look at the map if i called it a peice of crap its neither great nor horrendous, and has a long way to go, the reason why i put this map up was to see how the whole concept of the mercs turned out. Honestly, i want nothing more than to hear complaints about why my map sucks. However, i dont want it really compared to something completely out of its league (Allstars). I am working on this solo as my second attempt at something other than a melee map *my first didnt turn out well but i learned how to make custom items units and triggers*

Now with that out of the way, i was thinking about turning it into a Defense of Lordearon where i used the units currently in the merc camps to Alliance creeps and adding some different mercs (Orcs, trolls, maybe night elves). I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for the base tileset? :D

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
so basicaly this map was a test to "dose the community like the idea" then takeing the system that you added to the map (the merc system) and put it to a map you are going to make

if that was the case, you shuld of told me earlyer... i woudent have sounded so harsh.. sorry...

worldofDeath

Reaction score
I said it was better than dota because i liked the idea and think about it would anybody look at the map if i called it a peice of crap its neither great nor horrendous, and has a long way to go, the reason why i put this map up was to see how the whole concept of the mercs turned out. Honestly, i want nothing more than to hear complaints about why my map sucks. However, i dont want it really compared to something completely out of its league (Allstars). I am working on this solo as my second attempt at something other than a melee map *my first didnt turn out well but i learned how to make custom items units and triggers*

Now with that out of the way, i was thinking about turning it into a Defense of Lordearon where i used the units currently in the merc camps to Alliance creeps and adding some different mercs (Orcs, trolls, maybe night elves). I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for the base tileset? :D

Frist things frist. Make new heros before u do these merc things. NEW heros all new made by ur self from scracht. Thats where to begian AFTER you change the terrian around in the map. After that change the units and stuff. Then the heros. Then the mercs.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Poll Results sofar

Good ||||| 0%

Ok ||||| 20%

Bad ||||| 80%

Umm Not to be the person to bring bad news in all :rolleyes:

But I say start with a smaller map with little units a few trigger then add on to it

Then once you become a pro you can spend 2 years like they did and make a game like DotA (OMG DOTA YOU EVIL GAME)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • WildTurkey WildTurkey:
    is there a stephen green in the house?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.