Sci/Tech Electrical brain stimulation improves math skills

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
By applying electrical current to the brain, researchers reporting online on November 4 in Current Biology, have shown that they could enhance a person's mathematical performance for up to 6 months without influencing their other cognitive functions. The findings may lead to treatments for the estimated 20 percent of the population with moderate to severe numerical disabilities (for example, dyscalculia) and for those who lose their skill with numbers as a result of stroke or degenerative disease, according to the researchers.

"I am certainly not advising people to go around giving themselves electric shocks, but we are extremely excited by the potential of our findings," said Roi Cohen Kadosh of the University of Oxford. "We've shown before that we can temporarily induce dyscalculia [with another method of brain stimulation], and now it seems we might also be able to make someone better at maths. Electrical stimulation will most likely not turn you into Albert Einstein, but if we're successful, it might be able to help some people to cope better with maths."

The researchers used a method of brain stimulation known as transcranial direct current stimulation (TDCS). TDCS is a noninvasive technique in which a weak current is applied to the brain constantly over time to enhance or reduce the activity of neurons. The technique has gotten attention in the last decade for its potential to improve various functions in people with neurological deficits, for instance in those who have suffered a stroke.

Last edited:

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Hi, I'd like a personal charge pack for two hours. I'm taking my Math final soon.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Since I'm bilingual people say math is easier for me and that I have a less chance of developing Alzheimer... is this the same effect for these "electrical brain stimulation"?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't matter. Just take it, and bye bye F-grades. :D

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
If you have F-grades, then you fail as a human being >=(

The [del]Asian[/del] Sevion Grading Scale:

A-verage
B-elow Average
C-rap
D-umbfuck
F-UBAR

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
:mad: Well, blame my Ministry of Education for pushing so many college classes down to high school. I don't know why the rush, but it's really messing us up.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Oh, come off it >=(

I have college level classes, too. They're not that hard TBH. Next year I will be taking Calculus and Statistics as well as a college level Spanish class.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Oh, come off it >=(

I have college level classes, too. They're not that hard TBH. Next year I will be taking Calculus and Statistics as well as a college level Spanish class.

¿Cómo son las clases de español en la universidad, fácil o difícil? :p

Well calculus was really tiring for me, I haven't taken statistics but I do have economics :rolleyes:

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
It's not that hard... >_> But! I do know that I'm taking lower level college classes.

HappyPeasant

Reaction score
You guys are lucky. Ive got College Calc, Trig, Engineering 1301, CS 1301.. Just to start.. probably have Physics too.. I've already gone through economics, gov, english (2 semisters), and speech.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
college is getting expensive, why not take college classes in HS? (my HS paid for up to $800 per class), I only took 2 that were actually in college, and then some AP classes - they aren't required, but it's just as bad to be in an "easy" class where you don't learn anything as it is to be in a class that's above you and you don't learn anything

anyways, I guess this is a good thing?

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I really don't know. People do push themselves really hard, and they didn't know those subjects they were being teached are hard for some others.

It depends on individuals. Whatever we do, if we are in college, I think that's the good thing.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
If you have F-grades, then you fail as a human being >=(

The [del]Asian[/del] Sevion Grading Scale:

A-verage
B-elow Average
C-rap
D-umbfuck
F-UBAR

Agree with the first part, though the grading scale is only accurate for elementary/high school. College courses vary greatly, some may require a crap-ton of work (such as physics with 2 extra courses with lab reports, etc), while others may be strictly lecture, homework, test based (where studying gets you an A).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +1
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.