Sci/Tech Electrical brain stimulation improves math skills

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
By applying electrical current to the brain, researchers reporting online on November 4 in Current Biology, have shown that they could enhance a person's mathematical performance for up to 6 months without influencing their other cognitive functions. The findings may lead to treatments for the estimated 20 percent of the population with moderate to severe numerical disabilities (for example, dyscalculia) and for those who lose their skill with numbers as a result of stroke or degenerative disease, according to the researchers.

"I am certainly not advising people to go around giving themselves electric shocks, but we are extremely excited by the potential of our findings," said Roi Cohen Kadosh of the University of Oxford. "We've shown before that we can temporarily induce dyscalculia [with another method of brain stimulation], and now it seems we might also be able to make someone better at maths. Electrical stimulation will most likely not turn you into Albert Einstein, but if we're successful, it might be able to help some people to cope better with maths."

The researchers used a method of brain stimulation known as transcranial direct current stimulation (TDCS). TDCS is a noninvasive technique in which a weak current is applied to the brain constantly over time to enhance or reduce the activity of neurons. The technique has gotten attention in the last decade for its potential to improve various functions in people with neurological deficits, for instance in those who have suffered a stroke.

Last edited:

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Hi, I'd like a personal charge pack for two hours. I'm taking my Math final soon.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Since I'm bilingual people say math is easier for me and that I have a less chance of developing Alzheimer... is this the same effect for these "electrical brain stimulation"?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't matter. Just take it, and bye bye F-grades. :D

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
If you have F-grades, then you fail as a human being >=(

The [del]Asian[/del] Sevion Grading Scale:

A-verage
B-elow Average
C-rap
D-umbfuck
F-UBAR

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
:mad: Well, blame my Ministry of Education for pushing so many college classes down to high school. I don't know why the rush, but it's really messing us up.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Oh, come off it >=(

I have college level classes, too. They're not that hard TBH. Next year I will be taking Calculus and Statistics as well as a college level Spanish class.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Oh, come off it >=(

I have college level classes, too. They're not that hard TBH. Next year I will be taking Calculus and Statistics as well as a college level Spanish class.

¿Cómo son las clases de español en la universidad, fácil o difícil? :p

Well calculus was really tiring for me, I haven't taken statistics but I do have economics :rolleyes:

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
It's not that hard... >_> But! I do know that I'm taking lower level college classes.

HappyPeasant

Reaction score
You guys are lucky. Ive got College Calc, Trig, Engineering 1301, CS 1301.. Just to start.. probably have Physics too.. I've already gone through economics, gov, english (2 semisters), and speech.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
college is getting expensive, why not take college classes in HS? (my HS paid for up to $800 per class), I only took 2 that were actually in college, and then some AP classes - they aren't required, but it's just as bad to be in an "easy" class where you don't learn anything as it is to be in a class that's above you and you don't learn anything

anyways, I guess this is a good thing?

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I really don't know. People do push themselves really hard, and they didn't know those subjects they were being teached are hard for some others.

It depends on individuals. Whatever we do, if we are in college, I think that's the good thing.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
If you have F-grades, then you fail as a human being >=(

The [del]Asian[/del] Sevion Grading Scale:

A-verage
B-elow Average
C-rap
D-umbfuck
F-UBAR

Agree with the first part, though the grading scale is only accurate for elementary/high school. College courses vary greatly, some may require a crap-ton of work (such as physics with 2 extra courses with lab reports, etc), while others may be strictly lecture, homework, test based (where studying gets you an A).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.