Weird Extremely Rare Bird Photographed for First Time - Then Eaten

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
A species of bird so rare it was thought perhaps to be extinct was captured on video and still images in the Phillipines province of Nueva Vizcaya… right before it was cooked and eaten.

The Worcester’s buttonquail (Turnix worcesteri) lives only in the Phillipines, but had not been seen in many years, and was previously only known through illustration based on dead specimens collected centuries ago. One wild live buttonquail was inadvertently filmed in a mountainous area during the making of a documentary on the traditional methods of bird-trapping in northern Luzon. But neither the local crew nor the bird-trappers at the time of the filming understood how rare the bird was, so it was sold at a poultry market, then cooked and eaten.

Last edited:

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
Nueva Vizcaya is just around 15 kilometers south of where I live, 2 provinces away. I've never seen that bird before, though it looks beautiful.. Too bad it was killed unknowingly by the trappers...:(

Still, we Filipinos are desperate for food because of the economic crisis, any animal can be made palatable (even dogs, I find the dog meat 'weird-tasting'). The poverty obscured the ecological value of the bird to us and the natives simply boiled it down and put it right to the market.

They sold it for only P10, that's just about the same price as of our conventional snacks (fries, fishballs, chips, etc.). Cheap!!

-- Umaku iku yō ni -|- jonadrian619 --​

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Woah.... well... I don't blame them. THey didn't knew. Well, look on the good side: there must be more of these critters, they are not enstinct. And people (hopefully) won't eat them. Pretty sick though :D:D

Jolly chap*

Reaction score
Don't bash up your country like that. >_< Well, if there's one, there's more, I guess. How else could it have survived until now? :D

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Because we have a lot of ignorant people...

I don't think that this applies to a specific county, all people a ignorant more or less:p
And just beacuse people make misstakes it does not make them ignorant;)

DrakonStar

Reaction score
Hey, my country is in the back of nowhere, so yeah...

Eh, who could blame them? Would scientific progress feed them anyway?

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, such things happen every so often.

The only thing ecologists can do is to get over it. :)

CaptDeath

Reaction score
:( that bird looks like a bird of 1337
and they ate it with out knowing what it was? that is who ever bought it :( i guess it may be ignorance and desperation to resort to selling a bird you don't even know what it is to a meant market but to kill what may be the last of an extinct specious they =< FAIL! even if they didn't know they have failed

cause they could very well have had killed the last of them for what? a quick buck

denmax

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
:( that bird looks like a bird of 1337
and they ate it with out knowing what it was? that is who ever bought it :( i guess it may be ignorance and desperation to resort to selling a bird you don't even know what it is to a meant market but to kill what may be the last of an extinct specious they =< FAIL! even if they didn't know they have failed

cause they could very well have had killed the last of them for what? a quick buck

God brought and gave this animals for free. I can't really say that it is an epic fail because it was sold at a low cost.

Anyway, we can't blame those people. We learn from mistakes, right?

- This just reminds me from a friend who was grounded for having a grade of 94!! He was shocked, actually (of his parents for grounding him because of such a "low" grade [HPG is 100 o_O])..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.